Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,157 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple trying to move to columbus in May. Finding a place is tricky with the availability timing. Our max rent is probably $1000. We want to live close to downtown and have been looking in Clintonville. I'm an artist/cook/copier technician and she is in sustainability/community develpment/agriculture. Would love a yard to make a small garden and a little room (basement, garage etc) to make art in.

Any suggestions?

Looking for jobs too if you can help in that department. HA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM

225 posts, read 462,482 times
I would look in South Clintonville and Old North Columbus. Old North Columbus is a cool little area and is much more affordable than Clintonville.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM

416 posts, read 701,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthnryn View Post
We are a young couple trying to move to columbus in May. Finding a place is tricky with the availability timing. Our max rent is probably $1000. We want to live close to downtown and have been looking in Clintonville. I'm an artist/cook/copier technician and she is in sustainability/community develpment/agriculture. Would love a yard to make a small garden and a little room (basement, garage etc) to make art in.

Any suggestions?

Get out of North Carolina while you can!

This is exactly the field I am working with currently as a graduate student. I know a lot of really good people here in NE Ohio, can't speak for Central Ohio. I can talk to some people tomorrow at work who will know people down in Columbus and Newark. If I get some names/job opportunities I can send you a message. This is a big, growing field right now.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthnryn View Post

Any suggestions?

Stay in NC. Ohio is in decline from a population standpoint while on the other hand NC is on the up swing as a result of the broader trend of migration from the Rust Belt states to the Sun Belt states. In the long-run there is likely to be more opportunity in NC than in OH. Besides, the weather is better too.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Stay in NC. Ohio is in decline from a population standpoint while on the other hand NC is on the up swing as a result of the broader trend of migration from the Rust Belt states to the Sun Belt states. In the long-run there is likely to be more opportunity in NC than in OH. Besides, the weather is better too.
This is the exact field I left the South and moved up North to have better luck finding a career in. Ohio's economy is more diverse and healthier than North Carolina. Job growth in Ohio has outpaced the nation and North Carolina. Tout NC's population growth all you want, but I am still having trouble finding a census that has Ohio declining in population. I can find Michigan and Rhode Island declining, but not Ohio. Not to mention comparing Ohio's job numbers and unemployment rate to NC. NC is on its way to being the next Florida. Keep bringing in all those people, and having trouble finding jobs. I have a friend from Maryland who's wife got a teaching job in Wilmington and he still cant find a job in his field. NC is so overrated. Move to Columbus where the economy is much better than anything you find in NC, and actually has a diverse economy and great outlook in the sustainability and development field. I believe there is another thread here in the Columbus forum of another NC family looking to move as well. NC booster? Ohio basher? I'm a realist. Have a good one.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
This is the exact field I left the South and moved up North to have better luck finding a career in. Ohio's economy is more diverse and healthier than North Carolina. Job growth in Ohio has outpaced the nation and North Carolina. Tout NC's population growth all you want, but I am still having trouble finding a census that has Ohio declining in population. I can find Michigan and Rhode Island declining, but not Ohio. Not to mention comparing Ohio's job numbers and unemployment rate to NC. NC is on its way to being the next Florida. Keep bringing in all those people, and having trouble finding jobs. I have a friend from Maryland who's wife got a teaching job in Wilmington and he still cant find a job in his field. NC is so overrated. Move to Columbus where the economy is much better than anything you find in NC, and actually has a diverse economy and great outlook in the sustainability and development field. I believe there is another thread here in the Columbus forum of another NC family looking to move as well. NC booster? Ohio basher? I'm a realist. Have a good one.
Ohio and the Rust Belt states are growing slower than the Sun Belt states. Ohio lost two Congressional seats as a result of the 2010 census (as did MI, IL, and PA each lose a seat). Meanwhile Texas, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina all gained Congressional seats as did a few seats in the Southwest. Also consider Ohio's state universities have explicitly mentioned declining graduating in-state seniors as a result of demographic trends and initiated multi-year programs to lure in out-of-state students as well as international students and the case is pretty clear that on the whole the Sun Belt has more favorable population trends than the Rust Belt and Ohio as well.

Just stating facts here. Nothing against Ohio and not biased in favor of NC. There will be pockets of economic and population growth in each state and Columbus is one of the few metros that is growing, partly due to government, but not nearly as fast as the Charlotte metro area which is the fastest growing metro area in the country.

Growth in Urban Population Outpaces Rest of Nation, Census Bureau Reports - Charlotte Business Journal

My point is that trends over a multi-decade projection favor North Carolina over Ohio. One could likely data fit small two and three year periods to serve ones argument but the long-term trend has been in force for some time and remains clear - population trends favor growth in the South and Southwest growing at a faster rate than the Northeast and the Midwest in particular.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Ohio has never been in population decline and is not now. Slow growth is not no growth, and considering it's 7th in population, it's not exactly an empty wasteland to begin with.

NC has benefitted largely from economic issues in the North, but much of those problems don't exist anymore or are well in the process of going away. Ohio and other "Rust Belt" states are significantly more economically diverse than they once were, and beyond lagging population trends in some cities, the state is moving in the right direction now.

I hate the South's weather, personally. If it's not the heat, it's way too much sunshine. I never thought I could be so sick of sunshine, but when you have it day after day for 8 months of the year, you crave anything different. At least, I do. Give me 4 seasons. Give me cloudy days.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Ohio and the Rust Belt states are growing slower than the Sun Belt states. Ohio lost two Congressional seats as a result of the 2010 census (as did MI, IL, and PA each lose a seat). Meanwhile Texas, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina all gained Congressional seats as did a few seats in the Southwest. Also consider Ohio's state universities have explicitly mentioned declining graduating in-state seniors as a result of demographic trends and initiated multi-year programs to lure in out-of-state students as well as international students and the case is pretty clear that on the whole the Sun Belt has more favorable population trends than the Rust Belt and Ohio as well.

Just stating facts here. Nothing against Ohio and not biased in favor of NC. There will be pockets of economic and population growth in each state and Columbus is one of the few metros that is growing, partly due to government, but not nearly as fast as the Charlotte metro area which is the fastest growing metro area in the country.

Growth in Urban Population Outpaces Rest of Nation, Census Bureau Reports - Charlotte Business Journal

My point is that trends over a multi-decade projection favor North Carolina over Ohio. One could likely data fit small two and three year periods to serve ones argument but the long-term trend has been in force for some time and remains clear - population trends favor growth in the South and Southwest growing at a faster rate than the Northeast and the Midwest in particular.
Is that why the Sun Belt generally has higher unemployment, slower job growth, worse upward mobility, higher cost of living, worse infrastructure, worse education rankings, lower income levels, etc? High population growth doesn't change any of that. No one is saying Ohio is perfect, but come on. The Sun Belt is hardly the utopia you're trying to make it out to be.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I am still waiting to find a census that actually shows Ohio declining in population. You equate this declining population with Ohio, but I will take slow growth over rapid growth that leads to infrastructure and social issues.

Nothing biased towards NC? You just told this poster to stay in NC. Why, when the field his wife is in is much better up North? You even created a topic discussing Columbus being a high tax city, my question is do you have some problem with Ohio? I mean if you want to point out the negatives we can all do that, too. Ohio has a more diversified economy than NC, more of its residents have doctorate degrees, and less poverty. Yet, NC is supposedly this bastion of success in the South. I can also sit here and compare job growth rates and unemployment numbers, but those are just small in the general picture. Population growth doesn't mean you're healthy. I just left Florida which isn't slowing down in growth anytime soon, but Florida is in horrible shape.

I can pull out data from 2011 or 2012 that I have been working on today that deals with education attainments and poverty levels, but the thing is, over those two years... they're just estimates. So you can show me that Ohio has gained 8,000 people in the last two years while NC has gained 200,000... but it's really not relevant. At the end of the day, you can pride yourself on high growth rates, but diversifying your economy and keeping and bringing in jobs says a lot about the state's overall success. Ohio's major metros alone are doing much better than Charlotte (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus). I was in Charlotte last year doing case studies with students from around the country on the urban neighborhoods. Outside of Uptown, Midwood, and Myers Park Charlotte had left little to write home about. Outside of LYNX and about 3 condo highrises, Charlotte had nothing.....NOTHING significant in worthy development. Not to mention once you leave the cluster of buildings along Tryon and a little bit of College streets, Uptown is dotted with surface parking lots everywhere!

Population growth certainly favors NC, I am not doubting that one bit. But Ohio's more diversified economy has Ohio poised for better economic growth.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I am still waiting to find a census that actually shows Ohio declining in population. You equate this declining population with Ohio, but I will take slow growth over rapid growth that leads to infrastructure and social issues.

Nothing biased towards NC? You just told this poster to stay in NC. Why, when the field his wife is in is much better up North? You even created a topic discussing Columbus being a high tax city, my question is do you have some problem with Ohio? I mean if you want to point out the negatives we can all do that, too. Ohio has a more diversified economy than NC, more of its residents have doctorate degrees, and less poverty. Yet, NC is supposedly this bastion of success in the South. I can also sit here and compare job growth rates and unemployment numbers, but those are just small in the general picture. Population growth doesn't mean you're healthy. I just left Florida which isn't slowing down in growth anytime soon, but Florida is in horrible shape.
I have a journalist friend who has been all over the world, but spent a lot of time in the Middle East. He also used to cover Florida politics. He used to joke that between Afghanistan and Florida, Florida had more problems.

As far as NC vs Ohio's economy, it's interesting that, in the 3 years leading up to 2011 (the last year available), Ohio's GDP has only been increasing its lead over NC's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus