Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,608 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am moving to columbus from toledo, got a new job. My family and I are so excited but we have never been to columbus before. Where are the best cities to live in with the best school districts. Thats my main concern, I want good schools for my daughter. I am looking to stay in the northern columbus area. Any advice will help. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:42 PM

43 posts, read 68,857 times
Westerville and New Albany are really nice areas!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:41 AM

140 posts, read 315,532 times
Dublin, Powell, Worthington, Westerville, etc. All of the northern suburbs have great schools. When you get into Columbus City Schools it gets a little iffy.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 PM

392 posts, read 1,075,047 times
If you can afford it, I second those who suggest Dublin, Powell, and Worthington. Upper Arlington or Grandview Heights are also good choices, and both are close to downtown Columbus.

If you choose to live within the city limits, it's hit-or-miss depending on the block. I would personally avoid just about 90% of Columbus. Anywhere outside of the 270 beltway is probably your best bet.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,086,263 times
Prepare to be bored

Old 09-20-2012, 05:26 PM

31 posts, read 78,817 times
Beware of the mega malls though! Traffic can be brutal around Polaris or Tuttle Crossing if you went more Northwest

Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,086,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by people211 View Post
Beware of the mega malls though! Traffic can be brutal around Polaris or Tuttle Crossing if you went more Northwest
Columbus is a megamall

If you don't like malls, you really are in the wring city

Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 PM

231 posts, read 814,423 times
Well, define best schools. Best District, or best individual school building? The typical rating is not good enough, and the only acceptable measurement is using Performance Index score. By district, Dublin, Olentangy, New Albany, Upper Arlington and Grandview Height are consistently at the top. 2 years ago it was Dublin #1, followed by Olentangy. Last year it was Upper Arlington followed by Olentangy.

But if you want specific school building, then Dublin has consistenly the best High School (Jerome) and Middle schools (Willard Grizzle, Karrer) , and a couple top elementary (Bailey, Eli). But the best elementary is Westerville Longfellow, a step above all. But as a school district, Westerville is not that good.

But bear in mind, Dublin property tax is probably one of the highest in central ohio, and you want to make sure you buy into the property that would NOT be easily get re-districting out of the best elementary/middle/high school, else ...

In my opinion, best value is still Olentangy with significant savings in your property tax, over a long period of years.

Best kept secret? This will shock most long time fellow here, its Columbus Preparatory Academy!! Its performance index has zoomed up last 3 years, and latest data shows that it is at the very top of all elementary schools, and heard its on its way to making the ever impossible score -- Performance score of PERFECT 120 next year. Heard the academy program is extremely rigorous, with test every week starting kindergarten. sort of like asian "pressure cooker" style program.

MY suggestion? Just rent around Columbus Prep Academy for a few years, till children grow out of elementary school and you guys familiar with columbus market, then make a permanent purchase. Who knows, maybe you get tired of this boring city.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,183,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Columbus is a megamall

If you don't like malls, you really are in the wring city
I guess the 11% growth the last decade suggests a lot of people like malls, then.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 30,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
Well, define best schools. Best District, or best individual school building? The typical rating is not good enough, and the only acceptable measurement is using Performance Index score. By district, Dublin, Olentangy, New Albany, Upper Arlington and Grandview Height are consistently at the top. 2 years ago it was Dublin #1, followed by Olentangy. Last year it was Upper Arlington followed by Olentangy.

But if you want specific school building, then Dublin has consistenly the best High School (Jerome) and Middle schools (Willard Grizzle, Karrer) , and a couple top elementary (Bailey, Eli). But the best elementary is Westerville Longfellow, a step above all. But as a school district, Westerville is not that good.

But bear in mind, Dublin property tax is probably one of the highest in central ohio, and you want to make sure you buy into the property that would NOT be easily get re-districting out of the best elementary/middle/high school, else ...

In my opinion, best value is still Olentangy with significant savings in your property tax, over a long period of years.

Best kept secret? This will shock most long time fellow here, its Columbus Preparatory Academy!! Its performance index has zoomed up last 3 years, and latest data shows that it is at the very top of all elementary schools, and heard its on its way to making the ever impossible score -- Performance score of PERFECT 120 next year. Heard the academy program is extremely rigorous, with test every week starting kindergarten. sort of like asian "pressure cooker" style program.

MY suggestion? Just rent around Columbus Prep Academy for a few years, till children grow out of elementary school and you guys familiar with columbus market, then make a permanent purchase. Who knows, maybe you get tired of this boring city.
Tell me more, as you seem to know a lot!

We moved here 6 months ago, are renting, and looking to buy now. We have a special needs kid (mild autism) and need to stay north/NE for my husband's commute. We made an offer on a house in Worthington (worthington estates) that fell through Now we are trying to decide if we should consider Westerville. Initially we didnt consider it at all bc of the issues with the school levy.

New Albany and Gahanna turn me off completely (too rich, white, conservative, not walk-able/bike-able) but I am open to being convinced that I am wrong! Olentangy would be too far of a commute for him. That leaves me with Worthington and Westerville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus