Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 PM

15 posts, read 44,140 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about this area?

How are the schools in the area? I haven't heard much about it on this board.

We are a family of 4 moving to the area. Our oldest will start kindergarten while we live there. Schools are a consideration but not the only (as private schools can always be used).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 06:45 PM

121 posts, read 544,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2_2cuties View Post
Can anyone tell me about this area?

How are the schools in the area? I haven't heard much about it on this board.

We are a family of 4 moving to the area. Our oldest will start kindergarten while we live there. Schools are a consideration but not the only (as private schools can always be used).

Thanks!
I heard Valley View was a nice area but it is still in the Columbus school district. This was one of my first areas I was looking into to move to. I have 4 children and am seriously looking into Grove City which has better schools. Some of the schools in Grove city are rated 7 or 8 out of 10. The crime rate is also a lot lower there and it is only about 15-20 min from downtown Columbus.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
Valleyview itself is a fairly quiet little place, totally surrounded—like an oasis!—by Columbus. It's mostly families, middle class mixed in with some working class. Homes in Valleyview are mostly owner-occupied, built in the 1940s–60s. Locals who don't live in Valleyview know it mostly as a speed trap (keep it under 25 or 35, depending where!)

The biggest downside would be as Macsports mentioned, the schools. One thing for sure is you don't want your kids in Columbus schools. So if private schooling as an option for you, then Valleyview would be fine. Otherwise, you'll want to check out a suburb like Hillard or Grove City.

Not really sure about crime in Valleyview, although it's only a short drive to a seedy part of town called Hilltop. From that perspective, either Hilliard or G.C. would be preferable.

Hope that helps

Lanc

Old 09-25-2007, 11:59 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
One thing for sure is you don't want your kids in Columbus schools.
Not true, , I am not going to debate, but I would like to add that Columbus Schools has a HUGE district, Ohio's largest.

But some of Columbus' city schools are rated very highly, and have very advanced programs.

There are plus' to the city schools, there are many "choice schools."
Such as:
French Immersion Elementary (Kenwood)
State of the art arts' Impact Middle School
Fort Hays Arts Focused High School
the award winning Franklin County run METRO science and math high school
this math and science METRO school is FREE in Columbus, suburbs make you pay
Columbus Alternative High School is ranked highly
And almost all the schools in the Clintonville/Beechwold neighborhoods, and NW Columbus portions of the district are known for being good.

Columbus has even a Spanish immersion school, an africentric school, year round elementary schools, alternative middle/elementary schools.

Also, some of the schools in the district are undergoing MAJOR renovations right now, and I had many friends (growing up in Columbus) who went to Fort Hays or Columbus Alternative High Schools and got as good or, possibly better, education than Thomas Worthington where I went.

My friend from Worthington actually paid to attend Fort Hays Arts High School In columbus city schools because of the arts program that could be found in not one other high school in the metro or region.

She now is NY directing a major documentary film, and just graduated from a high ranking arts college in Chicago.

Thus, to say you must stay away from Columbus School's is a VAST generalization.

However, if you do live in an area of Columbus City Schools, you have many choices, so it takes some research and you may need to work around schedules to allow your kid to reach their "choice" school. Transportation is provided for the students who attend a school other than their neighborhood one (even up through high school, for now.) The local schools the Valleyview neighborhood attend, are not known for being the best (as far as I know), so I believe you would most likely be looking into sending your kid to another Columbus School.

Last edited by streetcreed; 09-26-2007 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus