Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 18,972 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am taking up a new job in chillicothe in summer. I eventually want to move to columbus . I want to stay in a middle/upper middle class neighbourhood. I am not sure which of the suburbs would have the shortest commute time to chillicothe. Some friends suggest Gahanna, some suggest Dublin /New Albany. I am being told the commute time is not much of a difference. But in google maps dublin?New Albany seems to have a longer commute time to chillicothe. How about Blacklick , canal winchester and schools in that area. Please advise. I am also wondering how bad the traffic would be in peak traffic times.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,114,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymason007 View Post
Hi folks,

I am taking up a new job in chillicothe in summer. I eventually want to move to columbus . I want to stay in a middle/upper middle class neighbourhood. I am not sure which of the suburbs would have the shortest commute time to chillicothe. Some friends suggest Gahanna, some suggest Dublin /New Albany. I am being told the commute time is not much of a difference. But in google maps dublin?New Albany seems to have a longer commute time to chillicothe. How about Blacklick , canal winchester and schools in that area. Please advise. I am also wondering how bad the traffic would be in peak traffic times.

Thanks
Shortest commutes would be Grove City, Obetz and Canal Winchester in Columbus. Just south of Columbus along 23 is Ashville. It's located between Columbus and Circleville.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Hi jbmh81,

Thank you very much for the reply. How long is the commute from Canal Winchester to Chillicothe during peak traffic hours. Are the schools in canal winchester good?. I have a 6 year old and I am looking for good elementary schools.

Thank you

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,114,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymason007 View Post
Hi jbmh81,

Thank you very much for the reply. How long is the commute from Canal Winchester to Chillicothe during peak traffic hours. Are the schools in canal winchester good?. I have a 6 year old and I am looking for good elementary schools.

Thank you
Canal Winchester has good schools. No matter where you live in Columbus, you're looking at a long commute. From Canal Winchester, it'd be a good hour. I drove from Columbus to Circleville quite often and it was a good 35 minutes alone, and Chillicothe is another county south from there. It would be relatively easy, though. You'd probably have to take 33 to 270 to 23 south, which are all main roads.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM

12 posts, read 86,860 times
I used to live in Chillicothe and drove to Columbus every day. It's about 45 miles but during rush hour (and depending upon which part of town you'll be working), you can safely say it's about an hour, maybe a little more.

As far as neighborhoods. If you want upper class/upper middle class - Worthington, Dublin, Westerville, Grandview, Upper Arlington. All have good schools. New Albany is a mixture of new rich and farmers. Gahanna, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg are more working class, blue collar. Grove City, Canal Winchester, Obetz definitely are NASCAR, muscle shirts and beer heaven.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Hi grapegrape,

Thank you for the reply. I have been trying to find out this information for some time. I have been planning to visit columbus and do the drive myself and see but so far not happened. My prime goal is good public schools. I was hoping to minimize the drive as much as possible
For now I am planning to rent in chillicothe and my daughter would be in Bishop Flaget. Any thoughts about the school?? I would really really appreciate it.

My husband thinks we can stay in chillicothe for elementary and move to columbus for her middle school. I do not want her to have to make new friends every few years. any thoughts on this. We live in a suburb in MI with top notch public schools. I am afraid she will be bored in chillicothe.

Beer heaven sure is tempting. I should surely let my hubby know. He will be elated.

Thank you once again for taking time to reply.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM

205 posts, read 655,038 times
Not sure where in MI you are coming from but as a somewhat recent transplant from MI myself, I would say that schools here on average are much better than schools in MI on average.

Never been to Chillicothe as its not really a suburb of Columbus.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,491,071 times
There is nothing wrong with her having to make new friends every few years. It will help make her a better person. Grove City is where I live and I make the drive to Chillicothe and Ray several times a year. It is a easy drive to Chillicothe, just take 23 south straight down. It is about an hr, unless you are one of the many who ignore the speed limits and go 65, then its about a 50 min drive.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM

Default @behindenemylines

Hi Behindenemylines,

I think it is just moving jitters. I would be less worried if I was in one of the suburbs of columbus. I know there are plenty with good schools like dublin, UA, worthington. These are all to the north west of columbus. My job is in chillicothe and commuting from dublin or UA will be too hectic. It is just that I have spent my entire life in MI and my girl has settled in so well. We are in bloomfield hills and elementary school , middle school and high school are at the max 10 min drive. Her pre-school was right behind our house. Many of her class-mates live in the same subdivision and she is very close to them. when she heard we were moving she kept on and still does say " I hate Chillicothe". She is shy and little slow in making friends. Chillicothe is not a suburb and so you might not have heard of it. Anyhoo thanks for chiming in.

Cheers

Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Default @Momotaro

Thanks Momotaro.

I was looking at Grove city as an option. Google mapped it and it says 1 hr 3 mins from grove city. It probably would be an ideal choice. Like a poster said anywhere from columbus to chillicothe it looks like a minimum of an hour. My husband is agains staying in columbus and wants to live in chillicthe . He cites that in winter commutes might be longer and drive harder. What is your experience in winter??

Thanks a ton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus