Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM

53 posts, read 124,220 times

Advertisements

Hi I am considering moving to Columbus, OH and I have a question specifically about crime. I have read some past answers on this subject, but was put off by some of what I assume was sarcasm. Meaning people had stated that they felt most concerned about crime in suburbs like Dublin or Powell. Another statement was that all cities have crime. Nothing more.

So if you live in Columbus currently and you have an opinion about crime I would like to hear your specific thoughts. I like allot of things about Columbus ie., climate, home values, cost of living, amenities, lots of parks, educational system, health care......I would intend to live in a suburb within 20-30 miles from Columbus. I realize the suburbs have much lower crime, but I would still be driving into Columbus proper with the family. What I read on the Columbus news website (TV NEWS) and also the crime stats from City Data and other websites concerns me. I would assume in this day and age crime can spread and people are mobile or is it safe to say that the crime in Columbus is only in a certain area and everywhere else is safe? How safe do you feel in the city with your family during the day or night? Is it safe to drive everywhere during the day or do you need to know to stay away from certain places...? How about the mall the downtown restaurants.....? Has the crime rate gone down or up in the past few years? What do you think the cause is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:20 PM

158 posts, read 405,227 times
This post made me laugh a little bit. I may be one of those sarcastic ones' that you are talking about. You are concerned about driving downtown with family? That is a little silly. Would you be concerned driving to downtown Chicago, San Francisco, or LA for a night out or dinner? Do you think that a business could survive if it was in a crime ridden area? No one would go there. There are "ghetto's" in Columbus, but there is no entertainment there so I doubt you would have a reason to go there with the family.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:37 PM

53 posts, read 124,220 times
I am not certain of the answer if businesses could survive or not. I would assume crime could harm businesses, but not sure at what point it would become a real issue. Maybe a business owner will voice their opinion. Since you are one of those people that was sarcastic can I ask what your motivation is? By using sarcasm your suggesting it's not a relevant question. I am not as concerned about driving downtown as I am about crime spreading beyond the obvious crime ridden areas.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM

14 posts, read 28,678 times
We are new to Columbus, too. Have been here about a month now. We have young children, and so safety is definitely important to us.

We are living in Bexley...a safe neighborhood, although we are told that all the areas surrounding Bexley are 'sketchy'.

I think what you will find is that you will stick with places that you feel comfortable with, and there seems to be plenty of those places in and around Columbus. It is a big city, with all sorts of demographics... So far, we have felt safe. But we definitely lock doors, and use precautions. The only bad thing that has happened so far is our neighbors' son's bike got stolen from the community swimming pool.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapha View Post
I am not certain of the answer if businesses could survive or not. I would assume crime could harm businesses, but not sure at what point it would become a real issue. Maybe a business owner will voice their opinion. Since you are one of those people that was sarcastic can I ask what your motivation is? By using sarcasm your suggesting it's not a relevant question. I am not as concerned about driving downtown as I am about crime spreading beyond the obvious crime ridden areas.
It's not that it isn't a relevant question, but it is just wierd for it be asked that way. There are people on this board that ask all the time about crime in areas where they are looking to live or asking for advice about where to go with the family on the weekend. I don't think anyone here is going to give you advise to go to the local bar that is in the ghetto off of Livingston Ave for a night out with the family. Also, businesses do not become popular by exposing their customers to crime. So use common sense and hang out where all the people are and you and your family will be fine. That little bit of common sense in going to where all the people are has worked for me whether I am in Ohio, Italy, Brazil, or Thailand. Look, you already know that the suburbs are safe, but being concerned because you will be "driving into Columbus proper" with your family comes off as a little over the top and makes you appear sheltered. As far as your question about crime spreading, I don't think anyone can predict the future. If you and your neighbors become active in whatever community you decide to live in, you will have a lot to do with keeping crime out of your community.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:23 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,487,368 times
Everyday families driving downtown are shot and killed. Columbus is the center of all that is crime.

On a serious note, downtown is safe, some homeless guys and gals but otherwise safe. It is no more dangerous then your average medium city downtown. That means crime exists but not likely to happen to you unless you make yourself an easy target.

Questions you are asking are perhaps better for crime statistic websites.

There is no real mall downtown anymore, there is a nice line of independent shops in the short north area of downtown and some decent restaurants.
I have walked downtown during all times of night and never encountered anything worse then a panhandler.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:35 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach123 View Post
It's not that it isn't a relevant question, but it is just wierd for it be asked that way. There are people on this board that ask all the time about crime in areas where they are looking to live or asking for advice about where to go with the family on the weekend. I don't think anyone here is going to give you advise to go to the local bar that is in the ghetto off of Livingston Ave for a night out with the family. Also, businesses do not become popular by exposing their customers to crime. So use common sense and hang out where all the people are and you and your family will be fine. That little bit of common sense in going to where all the people are has worked for me whether I am in Ohio, Italy, Brazil, or Thailand. Look, you already know that the suburbs are safe, but being concerned because you will be "driving into Columbus proper" with your family comes off as a little over the top and makes you appear sheltered. As far as your question about crime spreading, I don't think anyone can predict the future. If you and your neighbors become active in whatever community you decide to live in, you will have a lot to do with keeping crime out of your community.
You wouldn't go into a bar off Livingston with your family? You're missing out on all the "fun".

Old 08-29-2010, 03:26 PM

133 posts, read 589,985 times
Hello Alphapha,

I have lived in the Columbus area for 13 years and I can help to answer your question.

Just like any other city, Columbus has crime. Where you will find the majority of violent crimes is on the east side of downtown. There is nothing on that side of town but trouble, and no one would want to take a family there anyhow, so you aren't missing out by not going there. However, downtown does have it's nice areas where families go all the time (festivals, restaurants, shops, sporting events, etc). You just have to use common sense when walking around ANYWHERE...lock your car doors, don't walk down the street with a wad of cash in plain view, be aware of your surroundings, and so on. But you should not be afraid to visit downtown at all. Columbus is a great city with a lot to offer.

I live in Dublin and love everything about this community. It has tons of ammenities, great schools, and is SAFE. Crime is pretty low in the majority of the suburbs. If there is crime, it is teen punks breaking into a vehicle and stealing a stereo or iPod.

I would urge you to look up crime stats on wikipedia.com to check into the crime rates of the suburbs. I think you will be happy to find that Columbus has some great communities surrounding it. Good luck!!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegal78 View Post
Hello Alphapha,

I have lived in the Columbus area for 13 years and I can help to answer your question.

Just like any other city, Columbus has crime. Where you will find the majority of violent crimes is on the east side of downtown. There is nothing on that side of town but trouble, and no one would want to take a family there anyhow, so you aren't missing out by not going there. However, downtown does have it's nice areas where families go all the time (festivals, restaurants, shops, sporting events, etc). You just have to use common sense when walking around ANYWHERE...lock your car doors, don't walk down the street with a wad of cash in plain view, be aware of your surroundings, and so on. But you should not be afraid to visit downtown at all. Columbus is a great city with a lot to offer.

I live in Dublin and love everything about this community. It has tons of ammenities, great schools, and is SAFE. Crime is pretty low in the majority of the suburbs. If there is crime, it is teen punks breaking into a vehicle and stealing a stereo or iPod.

I would urge you to look up crime stats on wikipedia.com to check into the crime rates of the suburbs. I think you will be happy to find that Columbus has some great communities surrounding it. Good luck!!
Really? There is nothing but trouble on the east side of town? I think the folks of New Albany, Gahanna, Bexley, Pickerington, Blacklick, etc.. would disagree.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,579 times
I've lived in Columbus for about 15 years and find it to be very safe. I live close to downtown and work downtown. I spend a lot of time in the areas surrounding downtown - places like Short North, Clintonville, Victorian Village, Italian Village, German Village - and find all to be safe. All the 'burbs outside 270 are safe, as are several within 270 like Worthingon, Upper Arlington, Bexley and Grandview.

I'd say the area east of 71, south of Morse Road, west of Cleveland Ave and North of 70 has it's bad parts, but I know people that live throughout that area and don't feel unsafe visiting them. I think the area south of 70 and east of Parsons has it's bad spots - not really sure as I've never had any reason to go east of Parsons - although I've been on Parsons many times without any problem. Franklinton (aka 'The Bottoms') is dumpy and largely industrial, but otherwise not too bad - and actually, is very likely to be gentrified as the city tries to develop the Broad St. corridor and the area around COSI. That's one of the reasons all the downtown bridges are being rebuilt. I don't know much about areas like the Hilltop on the west side or Whitehall on the east side, but have the impression that they are largely working class and probably have the same problems as any working class neighborhood.

Anyway, everything is relative, so I guess if you are moving from Mayberry, then Columbus might seem dangerous. If you've lived in any other metropolitan area, then you'll find The Bus to be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus