Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 04:57 PM

9 posts, read 104,199 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband, son who is 5, daughter who is 3 and I are considering moving to SC for my husband's job, which is in Columbia. I would like some input from you folks already living there about which towns are very family-friendly with good Christian schools, but are still within 25-30 min. drive from Columbia. We would also be looking for a contemporary non-denominational church. I have read quite a bit on this site about Lexington being a really good area for families, good schools, but a little higher on property taxes. Any other recommendations?
Thanks!

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM

10,971 posts, read 22,002,497 times
Do you have a work location yet? It will be easier to make suggestions if we know that info. Don't worry about prop taxes as there isn't a significant difference around Columbia. We'll be lower than Ohio. On a 150k house you'll be paying around 900-1200 per year.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:51 PM

Default Work address

My husband's job will be located in West Columbia on Metropolitan Drive (29170). Thanks for the help!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM

316 posts, read 976,484 times
If your husband will be working in West Columbia, then living in West Columbia itself or Lexington would likely be a good choice for you.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,030,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shareasmile View Post
Hello! My husband, son who is 5, daughter who is 3 and I are considering moving to SC for my husband's job, which is in Columbia. I would like some input from you folks already living there about which towns are very family-friendly with good Christian schools, but are still within 25-30 min. drive from Columbia. We would also be looking for a contemporary non-denominational church. I have read quite a bit on this site about Lexington being a really good area for families, good schools, but a little higher on property taxes. Any other recommendations?
Thanks!
We moved from NE Ohio (Canton area) to Columbia summer of 07' and have not regretted our move at all! You'll find there are a fair amount of native Ohioans in the area - at least we've met quite a few. We live on the SE side of Columbia (the direct opposite of Lexington in the metro area) so I've had very limited experiences in that area, but most of what I hear is positive about Lexington.

As for non-denominatial churches, you'll find that the majority of churches in Columbia and all of SC for that matter are Baptist churches. We attend one though that is non-denominational in Seacoast, it is a little unique in that the main campus is in Mt. Pleasant near Charleston, and we are one of about a dozen campuses scattered throughout the Carolinas (there is also a campus near Lexington in Irmo on St. Andrews Rd.), basically we have a live band, a campus pastor who takes care of announcements, communion, prayer, etc., and then we watch the message on the big screen. A little different at first, but we have really grown to like it! The nice thing about it is you get the small church feel (about 300 weekly attend the campus) w/big church resources (about 10,000 weekly attend all campuses w/about half attending in Mt. Pleasant). I think there are a few others around that are non-denominational, but don't know a whole lot about them.

The big 'Christian' school around here is Ben Lippen which would be less than 25 minutes from Lexington, there is a Catholic school that I know of as well in Forest Acres. While there are some other public schools beside Lexington in the area that have a good reputation, Richland 2 for example, being that your husband will be working near the airport, Lexington geographically makes the most sense given that it would be a short commute for him.

And as for property taxes, at least where we are, they are much more reasonable here than they were in Ohio, for instance, if we had our house here where we lived in Ohio, we'd pay about double in property taxes as we do here. Plus another nice thing, no city income taxes here!!

Good luck w/your move, and just wait for your first 'winter' here!! Pretty comical after dealing w/NE Ohio winters all your life!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 AM

Thanks to all who have replied so far! I really appreciate the input! I was born and raised in Florence, AL, then moved to Sandusky, OH when I was 15. I am looking forward to living in the South again! It's really helpful to hear from those who have relocated and how they are adjusting and about the different communities. Thank you for your perspective!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:43 PM

8 posts, read 19,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shareasmile View Post
Thanks to all who have replied so far! I really appreciate the input! I was born and raised in Florence, AL, then moved to Sandusky, OH when I was 15. I am looking forward to living in the South again! It's really helpful to hear from those who have relocated and how they are adjusting and about the different communities. Thank you for your perspective!
Good private christian schools in the Columbia area are:
Ben Lippin (not sure of the denomination)
Heathwood Hall (Episcopal)
Cardinal Newman (Catholic)

Lexington High School is a great public high school though and I would send my kids there before coughing up the big bucks for those private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area