Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 16,622 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is an officer in the Army and is starting a new job at Ft. Jackson, SC sometime at the end of summer ‘08. With his work schedule being what it is and plane tickets being incredibly expensive, I don’t know if we will get a chance to visit the city before we move. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me on where to live or at least where to start!
We are both young (24-25), no kids, and from Philadelphia so we enjoy city life. I’d like to be close (or relatively close) to bars, restaurants, entertainment, etc. but he is worried about high gas prices and a long commute to the post.
What would be some good areas to live in? Also what are the bad areas to avoid? Do many people live downtown Columbia or are the suburbs better?
If we lived in the suburbs, maybe Forest Acres or Northeast Columbia, how long is the ride into the city? Is there public transportation or are taxi cabs available?
Is there a more predominately military area? How far is it from the city to the post and will traffic be a concern?
Thanks for any and all help you can offer me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier'sGirl View Post
My boyfriend is an officer in the Army and is starting a new job at Ft. Jackson, SC sometime at the end of summer ‘08. With his work schedule being what it is and plane tickets being incredibly expensive, I don’t know if we will get a chance to visit the city before we move. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me on where to live or at least where to start!
We are both young (24-25), no kids, and from Philadelphia so we enjoy city life. I’d like to be close (or relatively close) to bars, restaurants, entertainment, etc. but he is worried about high gas prices and a long commute to the post.
What would be some good areas to live in? Also what are the bad areas to avoid? Do many people live downtown Columbia or are the suburbs better?
If we lived in the suburbs, maybe Forest Acres or Northeast Columbia, how long is the ride into the city? Is there public transportation or are taxi cabs available?
Is there a more predominately military area? How far is it from the city to the post and will traffic be a concern?
Thanks for any and all help you can offer me!
I would highly recommend the Five Points/Shandon/Rosewood area of Columbia. At your age I'm sure you would be much happier in-town and closer to things to do. You would be close to the Five Points entertainment area and being on the east side of downtown, your boyfriend would only be about a 10 minute drive from the Jackson Blvd. gate at Fort Jackson. Most of the offices on-base are fairly close to that gate so I wouldn't expect him to have more than a 15 minute/5-6 mile commute from there. He would be driving opposite traffic each way so traffic wouldn't be a major concern. In my profile is a link to my website with photos of lots of in-town neighborhoods. There are buses that serve the above mentioned neighborhoods and you would also be within walking/biking distance of shopping, restaurants and nightlife. Cabs are regularly available in Five Points, especially at night. Forest Acres and Northeast are fine and you might find more military out there, but probably more the older variety with kids. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:28 PM

221 posts, read 1,032,409 times
It might make more sense (at least gas-wise) to live closer to work, where you'd go everyday, and commute a little further downtown when you're going out (assuming you don't go out every night).

There are several "military" neighborhoods right around the East side of the base; some apartments and some houses. You might consider renting a place for 6-12 months so you can spend some time finding a more long-term housing option rather than trying to make a long term decision before you get here.

The Vista and 5-Points are definitely the Nightlife areas of town, and Shandon/Rosewood are great places to live. Even if you wanted to rent there, it would make alot of sense to only commit to a 6 month lease instead of buying something based on a single visit or no visit at all.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Congratulations on the transfer. NE Columbia and SE Columbia will be easier commutes to Ft. Jackson. There are plenty of neighborhoods in those areas that are great. If you want to be closer downtown the Rosewood area or Forest Acres areas would work. Are you looking to buy or rent? If you're buying you are eligible for a cash back rebate through USAA since you're military. If you need info on how the get the rebate just PM and I'll get you the contact information. Best of luck with the move.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
There are a lot of military families in SE and NE Columbia, but at you're ages you may want to live closer to downtown. It's mostly older families in the suburbs and the night life is definitely better closer intown.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 16,622 times
Thanks for all of the excellent advice! I just want to clarify. Are SE and NE Columbia considered the suburbs? Is there a line or a road that delineates the city from the suburbs?
Also are there any bad/sketchy areas in the Shandon/Rosewood/ Forest Acres areas? We are looking for something safe and relatively quiet? Is there a better or worse area for that?
Thanks again for any advice you can offer!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,181 times
I'd recommend SE Columbia for no other reason than the low rent. I'm not sure how your income situation is, but there is affordable housing around Midlands Tech. You'd be very close to the Ft Jackson BLVD gate, too.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:42 PM

28 posts, read 121,576 times
I would definitely stick with the Vista/5pts area. I mean she has to have something to do while her husband is on base all the time, right?
Check out columbia.cities.sc for good stats and neighborhood snapshots.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:19 PM

14 posts, read 49,325 times
hey, i moved here from philadelphia! yea, more yankees! love to know where abouts you are coming from. you are getting good advice from those above. there are some great homes in nice areas downtown - and you would only be 10 minutes or so from the base. Columbia is situated in such a way that you are no more than 30 minutes (most days) from most areas of the city. I'm not sure what you consider a long commute - but downtown, SE and NE would be fine areas to check out. hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
To answer your earlier question, SE and NE are suburban areas, though the delineations between inside the city limits and outside are not that obvious. From what you've told me I think you'd like living in the Five Points area if you can find something in whatever your rent range is that you like. As far as Forest Acres, Shandon and Rosewood, those areas are almost all nice although the parts of Rosewood that are further south (further away from Rosewood Dr) are not as nice. In my opinion, you're going to want to have stuff to do when your bf is busy at the fort and at your age I'd recommend living close to where there's some stuff to do.

Last edited by waccamatt; 07-14-2008 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: