Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 11:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,588,474 times

Advertisements

What's the perfect size for a city? | Cities | The Guardian

I've often wanted Columbia and Richland County to consolidate or at least for annexation laws in South Carolina to be relaxed, but this article makes some great points about why that might not be such a great idea. I don't think anyone denies that thought processes are different between those who love the city and those who love the suburbs or exurbs. I still think the city and county should consolidate, but this does give me some pause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 04:56 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,269,220 times
An article that states that more government is bad.

I can go along with that.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:59 AM

14,263 posts, read 14,797,524 times
Some 20 years ago the State of MA did away with county government (they kept county jails). They felt it was an unnecessary overlay of services/cost. While I advocated they do such in MA (I lived there then), I am not sure such would work in SC, especially in the more rural areas. In many SC counties the local government does not have a pot to pee in nor the resources to handle managing things likes road, schools, etc. even if they had the money.

The more rural a state, the more a county government makes sense.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:21 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,427,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Some 20 years ago the State of MA did away with county government (they kept county jails). They felt it was an unnecessary overlay of services/cost. While I advocated they do such in MA (I lived there then), I am not sure such would work in SC, especially in the more rural areas. In many SC counties the local government does not have a pot to pee in nor the resources to handle managing things likes road, schools, etc. even if they had the money.

The more rural a state, the more a county government makes sense.
Connecticut did away with county governments in the early 70's.. with the state taking on some responsibilities ... but the individual towns and cities getting the bulk of the activities. Seems to have worked out well... cutting a layer of government and its cost ..out..but then there were only 7 counties

South Carolina has too many counties ... some so small population-wise and resource-wise ... they wouldn't be able to manage much as you rightly point out ....I think we could easily reduce the number here by half and strategically merge some of those counties so they could manage their affairs accordingly.
Unfortunately ... theres a lot of vested interest in maintaining the status quo...
for lots of reasons ... none of which make for efficient government.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:51 AM

14,263 posts, read 14,797,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Connecticut did away with county governments in the early 70's.. with the state taking on some responsibilities ... but the individual towns and cities getting the bulk of the activities. Seems to have worked out well... cutting a layer of government and its cost ..out..but then there were only 7 counties

South Carolina has too many counties ... some so small population-wise and resource-wise ... they wouldn't be able to manage much as you rightly point out ....I think we could easily reduce the number here by half and strategically merge some of those counties so they could manage their affairs accordingly.
Unfortunately ... theres a lot of vested interest in maintaining the status quo...
for lots of reasons ... none of which make for efficient government.
There are 46 counties in SC. Enough is enough.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,588,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
An article that states that more government is bad.

I can go along with that.
Not necessarily, in my opinion. My version of less government is likely a little different than yours - fewer layers, but more services, especially for the less fortunate. It's absurd how many governmental entities there are - commissions, towns, cities, counties, states and federal government. There should be fewer cities and counties and I'd rather get rid of states, altogether and have fewer subdivisions. 50 is ridiculous and 46 counties in a little state like South Carolina is absurd.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:23 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,950,832 times
This raises some very good points and I think each of 3 metros have large issues with this...Columbia especially.

The lack of cooperation amongst governments around the Columbia metro area is not only just immature, but it has hindered growth in the past and will continue. The worst part about it is that there is absolutely no need for it.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:49 PM

83 posts, read 184,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Not necessarily, in my opinion. My version of less government is likely a little different than yours - fewer layers, but more services, especially for the less fortunate. It's absurd how many governmental entities there are - commissions, towns, cities, counties, states and federal government. There should be fewer cities and counties and I'd rather get rid of states, altogether and have fewer subdivisions. 50 is ridiculous and 46 counties in a little state like South Carolina is absurd.
Some counties could be merged (Calhoun into Orangeburg, Bamberg and Allendale into Barnwell, McCormick into Edgefield, a few more I can't think of right now), but the real consolidation needs to happen with special purpose districts.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 13,410,987 times
Seems like consolidation would be less government than more no? Though I would like Columbia and Richland to merge.. I can see West Columbia, Cayce, Springdale, and Pine Ridge being more applicable in this case.. There is no real reason why all of these cities should be separated other than to keep politicos and a few bureaucrats in their jobs. That said, the residents of these communities havent been able to move towards consolidation.. so they must be content with it.

Efforts to incorporate St. Andrews, Lower Richland, Richland Northeast and Ballentine have also failed so there seems to be some interest in the status quo...though I wonder how or why Blythewood was succesful. I guess it was trying to stop encroachment of a growing NE Columbia.. now it seems to embrace it by cherry picking off the more lucrative and desirable developments as they are created. This is likely the same reasons, among others, why Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes exist. I was told that part of the reason Forest Acres incorporated was to stop any form of public housing from entering the area likely promoted by the creation of Saxon Homes and Gonzalas Gardens as war housing.. and as a real estate venture to control the allocation of federal funds for infrastructure projects in a manner that benefited major landowners during and after the war.....which could be best controlled as an independent town than as part of Richland County or the City of Columbia. After the war, we all know of the suburban boom that occurred which fueled the City;s initial growth.

Acadia Lakes is a glorified HOA that was horrified by the urbanization of unincorporated area of Dentsville thus used invisible boundaries to insulate themselves...

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-19-2015 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area