Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Urban isn't meant like that in retail world. It's strictly related to a store plan and order of items. Nothing about types of items catering to certain people.
The context of the poster's comment isn't clear. He listed three stores proposed for that location, two by name and one an "Urban store" as a proper noun. Yes, there are urban-concept Targets, Walmarts, etc, but it wasn't clear if that's what he meant. I do understand the concept, just not if that was the poster's meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:01 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Bull Street IS part of the core; it's neither sprawl nor suburban.
That's like saying southpark is part of charlottes uptown.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
No, not at all. The entrance to Bullstreet is 1.2 miles from the State House. You could walk from Bullstreet to Boyd Plaza in twenty minutes. That's not the case at all with Uptown Charlotte and South Park, which are over six miles and a two hour walk from each other. Bullstreet is inarguably part of downtown Columbia.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
You CAN'T be serious. The Columbia Museum of Art is only like 10 blocks from Bull Street--no more than a 15-20 minute walk. From BOA Plaza in the middle of Uptown Charlotte to SouthPark Mall is a 15-20 minute drive.

Bull Street is part of the downtown core of Columbia--period.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:07 AM

68 posts, read 65,201 times
Quote:
Can't be serious. Bull Street might feel disconnected from the core of Columbia because of how is has/hasn't been used over the years. There's probably been little to no reason for you or anyone to venture over there at any time over the last 20+ years, so maybe it seems further away to you. In reality, it is right downtown and is pretty convenient to other downtown districts, particularly Main St & 5 Points which are both extremely easy walks to Bull Street. Once the property is developed and put to use rather than just sitting there empty, you'll see how closely tied into downtown it truly is. It's absolutely nothing like South Park and Uptown. Not even close.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:44 AM

235 posts, read 406,095 times
Salud coming to the Vista is awesome news!! Apart from Cantina 76, Salud has the best Mexican food in the Midlands IMO, but you have to drive to Camden to eat there. This will be a great addition to the already eclectic culinary offerings drawing folks downtown.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Salud coming to the Vista is awesome news!! Apart from Cantina 76, Salud has the best Mexican food in the Midlands IMO, but you have to drive to Camden to eat there. This will be a great addition to the already eclectic culinary offerings drawing folks downtown.
This is fantastic news! I've eaten at Salud in Camden and it was fantastic.

Here is the link:
Salud Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Bar to open Columbia location in the Vista in the Aloft Hotel | The State

Old 08-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
The context of the poster's comment isn't clear. He listed three stores proposed for that location, two by name and one an "Urban store" as a proper noun. Yes, there are urban-concept Targets, Walmarts, etc, but it wasn't clear if that's what he meant. I do understand the concept, just not if that was the poster's meaning.
I was just on UrbanPlanet and the context is more clear from the posts on that site: an urban-format Target and an Apple Store. The poster seems truly convinced that this is happening, although I'm still a bit confused what building this would be in. Both of these retailers could back out, but if this guy's scoop is correct, that's a big coup for downtown Columbia. I'll remain dubious until more is announced, but hopeful nonetheless.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Quote:
I was just on UrbanPlanet and the context is more clear from the posts on that site: an urban-format Target and an Apple Store. The poster seems truly convinced that this is happening, although I'm still a bit confused what building this would be in. Both of these retailers could back out, but if this guy's scoop is correct, that's a big coup for downtown Columbia. I'll remain dubious until more is announced, but hopeful nonetheless.
I agree; it would be outstanding, but it seems like something more destined for BullStreet.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:04 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,539 times
Quote:
No, not at all. The entrance to Bullstreet is 1.2 miles from the State House. You could walk from Bullstreet to Boyd Plaza in twenty minutes. That's not the case at all with Uptown Charlotte and South Park, which are over six miles and a two hour walk from each other. Bullstreet is inarguably part of downtown Columbia.
You still have to get in a car if you live in the vista or anywhere in the CBD. That's why they have parking garages and surface parking lots. It's a burb mixed use development. Not saying it's a bad concept, im saying they should rather focus on their CBD rather. Maybe build up and not out? The street level target and apple store is a really good example of great urbanization. it's in the heart of downtown and contains retail and housing. I like ben's public-private partnership for the two towers on united ways old site, maybe something like a juiced up epicenter Also, the developers developing the target and apple store and apartments are from Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area