Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 06:57 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
There's always talk and an occasional write-up. I could not do the Summerville to Charleston thing. Same for Northeat to downtown Columbia.
I think that you probably could do (or have done) Northeast to downtown Columbia at least few times. After all, since you have lived in Charleston you have commented on the condition of the Crape Myrtles on Killian on more than one occasion. So, even from Charleston you have managed to come to Northeast Cola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,796 times
Quote:
No one's happier than I that the 526 extension in Charleston has been killed (for now anyway) while a bike lane over the bridge from West Ashley to downtown seems to be a done deal.
The bike lane over the bridge to West Ashley is definitely not a done deal. It is widely disliked, even by urbanists, including me. It's a poorly thought out idea whose time has not yet come.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I think that you probably could do (or have done) Northeast to downtown Columbia at least few times. After all, since you have lived in Charleston you have commented on the condition of the Crape Myrtles on Killian on more than one occasion. So, even from Charleston you have managed to come to Northeast Cola.
I can't remember the last post Charlestondata made that didn't make my eyes roll.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Personal attacks are uncalled for. I was on Killian Road for a specific reason, not for daily rush hour.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:25 AM

And I said the bike lane SEEMS to be a done deal.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
There's always talk and an occasional write-up. I could not do the Summerville to Charleston thing. Same for Northeat to downtown Columbia.

There is always talk of commuter rail in Columbia as well. Here again, likely not a good idea unless it is expanded to a more Regional Rail System i.e. Greenville to Charleston via Columbia on existing tracks.. Would likely be cheaper than widening I-26. If SCDOT was able to develop that route on existing tracks with some upgrades and pick up Newberry and Sumter (or Orangeburg depending on which existing rail route) along with Summerville or Monks Corner (again depending on the aforementioned Sumter or Orangeburg Route. It could be successful with a few trains running in each direction daily. THEN if the High Speed Rail Corridor is run from Charlotte down the middle of I-77 that has often been suggested, into Columbia and southward on to Savannah, Jacksonville etc.. you would have both a Regional Rail and an Interstate Rail connection in Columbia which could definitely benefit the Cap City.

I am amazed with what NCDOT has done with the Raleigh to Charlotte state funded Piedmont Train. They are making improvements such as double tracks and longer straightaways all along that route. It will benefit about a dozen communities up and down the I-85 corridor.. I-26 could be our version of I-85 in terms of connecting major cities and towns in the State together with both rail and road connections

Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM

I'm aware of the occasional talk about commuter rail in all of SC's major metros. My premise is that America's model of highway expansion and automobile accommodation is fundamentally flawed.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:22 PM

421 posts, read 574,826 times
Wasn't there a proposed rail system that linked Atlanta/greenville/charleston/Columbia/Charlotte/ Durham?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:49 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
Wasn't there a proposed rail system that linked Atlanta/greenville/charleston/Columbia/Charlotte/ Durham?

Yeah ..this

Southeast Corridor

The Columbia to Charlotte Segment was NOT included buy Mayor Steve was trying to get it put in.....

Ironically both NC and VA are working on their segments.. I imagine GA will too.. SC will be anyone's guess. VA is extending it now from DC to Richmond and already has Amtrak "Regional" trains running from Norfolk and Lynchburg VA to DC then on to NYC. The Lynchburg and Norfolk legs are not high speed or electrified.. the segment between DC and Richmond will eventually become electrified.. right now they are simply double tracking it.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:10 PM

746 posts, read 749,588 times
Columbia mayor offers tax plan offered as key to high-cost Finlay Park, adjacent street renovations | The State

Finlay park renovations may be funded by a TIF. The mayor also says they will include plans to make Assembly street and Taylor street more like what USC did to Assembly street.

“It’s going to require us completely re-envisioning Taylor Street,” he said. Taylor and Assembly create barriers to the river that are physical and perceptual, Benjamin said. “This is an opportunity to really physically and fundamentally begin to connect it all. It’s an incredible future.

I agree... there is no way I would ever try to cross Taylor street after in turns into a 6 lane on-way highway. I think it needs to be a 5 lane two way street until at least Gadsen street, and I think stop lights should be installed at Gadsen, Lincoln and park street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area