Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM

157 posts, read 252,557 times

Advertisements

A key city councilman said this week he will not seek historic status for the Palmetto Compress building, a decision that clears the path for the building to be knocked down and replaced with private student housing.

Plans submitted to the city by Edwards for the Palmetto Compress site show a sprawling complex that would house 818 students among eight four story buildings. The development would occupy both sides of Blossom Street, with a roadway and parking spaces underneath the Blossom Street flyover.

Free Times: Growth and Development - City Won’t Block Historic Building’s Demolition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucjanrc View Post
A key city councilman said this week he will not seek historic status for the Palmetto Compress building, a decision that clears the path for the building to be knocked down and replaced with private student housing.

Plans submitted to the city by Edwards for the Palmetto Compress site show a sprawling complex that would house 818 students among eight four story buildings. The development would occupy both sides of Blossom Street, with a roadway and parking spaces underneath the Blossom Street flyover.

Free Times: Growth and Development - City Won’t Block Historic Building’s Demolition
Sounds great. This long with the development at the corner of Blossom and Huger will help reshape this area even more.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,355,100 times
Default More city centre growth like this higher likelihood of new ingrown retail

More city centre growth like this higher likelihood of new ingrown retail. Much better than the dorm super sprawl a la the private dorms near the stadium

Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 AM

613 posts, read 929,957 times
I'm disappointed that the common belief is that it is "impossible" to adaptively reuse, when in reality it is "less cost-effective" to adaptively reuse it.

Columbia has done a terrible job of preserving its older buildings, and although this building is not truly historically significant, it would have been nice to see the developers incorporate it into their project.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM

157 posts, read 252,557 times
They will use the old bricks from the warehouse and incorporate them into the new dorm.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM

38,004 posts, read 42,548,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Columbia has done a terrible job of preserving its older buildings, and although this building is not truly historically significant, it would have been nice to see the developers incorporate it into their project.
I disagree; I think that overall it's done an OK job. For starters, look at all the rehabbed train stations and textile mills around town. Excluding losses during the urban renewal period of the 60's and 70's, I don't think there have been that many losses.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM

613 posts, read 929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucjanrc View Post
They will use the old bricks from the warehouse and incorporate them into the new dorm.
Hardly counts, as the new dorms will probably be the generic, cheaply built cookie-cutter types. If they're concerned of the cost of adaptive use, that tells me they're going to build the slums of the future now; and with the standard cheap construction, that means some simple brick accents.

Reusing a few old bricks will save them money, which is obviously their #1 priority.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,744,664 times
Not to split hairs, but they will not be USC Dorms per se. They will be privately owned apartments mainly rented by USC students.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Hardly counts, as the new dorms will probably be the generic, cheaply built cookie-cutter types. If they're concerned of the cost of adaptive use, that tells me they're going to build the slums of the future now; and with the standard cheap construction, that means some simple brick accents.

Reusing a few old bricks will save them money, which is obviously their #1 priority.
Who are you to say that it isn't possible to save this building? Almost everyone who has seen the building up close and in depth has said that they don't feel any anger or have any issues with this company because of its condition. Just because everyone uses this excuse doesn't mean that it is never true.

Also, you haven't seen any renderings, plans or anything about the buildings but you have already condemned them to be cookie cutter. Let's at least wait until we have proof.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM

8,352 posts, read 13,623,179 times
Is the project site in a design review district? I believe it is part of the Innovista Plan... If so, I would hope that they would have some say so in the construction in terms of materials looks etc to atleast insure that it will be a quality development that is compatible with what is proposed for the area....lets hope so anyway. I would love to see the Palmetto Compress warehouse reused.. but that is easy for me to say because I will not be spending one red cent of my own money to do it...If I had to, I may end up on the side of the developer.... An cheaper alternative would be for them to attempt to design one or several of the buildings to resemble the Palmetto Compress... I know its less than ideal but it would be a way to preserve concept that the building represented rather than building something that looks like it should be on Hardscrabble Road.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: