Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times

Advertisements

Hello, All.

I want to say that I did do a search of the threads about Pueblo but thought I'd ask for more current/specific info and advice.

I am considering putting in for a job in Pueblo and would like to hear from the locals or people who have experience with the place.

The job pays around $50K per year. We are a one-income family (wife has health issues) with two daughters who are 10 and 11.

I'd like to hear about the general feel of the place--activities, music, food, ease of getting around (traffic), how close it is to outdoors stuff, especially mountains...

We aren't big partiers or anything but we love music and hot rod culture and basically friendly atmosphere wth activities for families and kids.

How are state taxes? How are the schools (very important)...crime, etc.

Would I be making enough to affor dliving in a decent area? We are renters and woud be searching for a 2-3 bedroom apartment or small home to rent--one that accepts dogs (we have one medium-sized dog.)

Really appreciate any advice, suggestions, thoughts, general info. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 07:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Hello, All.

I want to say that I did do a search of the threads about Pueblo but thought I'd ask for more current/specific info and advice.

I am considering putting in for a job in Pueblo and would like to hear from the locals or people who have experience with the place.

The job pays around $50K per year. We are a one-income family (wife has health issues) with two daughters who are 10 and 11.

I'd like to hear about the general feel of the place--activities, music, food, ease of getting around (traffic), how close it is to outdoors stuff, especially mountains...

We aren't big partiers or anything but we love music and hot rod culture and basically friendly atmosphere wth activities for families and kids.

How are state taxes? How are the schools (very important)...crime, etc.

Would I be making enough to affor dliving in a decent area? We are renters and woud be searching for a 2-3 bedroom apartment or small home to rent--one that accepts dogs (we have one medium-sized dog.)

Really appreciate any advice, suggestions, thoughts, general info. Thanks!
50k a year would be enough to live in Pueblo. There is apartments on the north side I would look at and by park West. To be honost there are more but those are the ones that come to mind just off the top of my head. Taxes are reasonable.

Pueblo has a great music culture for a city of our size. We have the state fair, concerts in downtown on the Riverwalk, Wild Wild West Fest, B street Bash and more. Pueblo also has a good hot rod culture including a large event every year that draws a lot of them.

I am not in school nor do I have kids so I am not the best one to say what is or is not the best school. But I can say I went to school in Pueblo, attended Pueblo Central class of 1991, and went on to get my masters from USD. So I can't complain about my education here. In fact I LOVED high school.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM

138 posts, read 339,771 times
The High Schools have a lot of school spirit around here but I wouldn't rate the schools so good - but your student will do well if you motivate them to, it just takes some will effort around here.

As for traffic, there is none although some of the red lights around here last for five minutes.

check out the apartments on craigslist, its how i found mine and its a 1br with a one car garage for 375 a month. It's about 30 minutes from the mountains (Canyon City), also close to the royal gorge, truly beautiful. They have a lot of outdoor festivals done at the riverwalk in the summer and had fireworks last night (which I could see from my house) for the Christmas lighting. The chili festival was great and they had all sorts of food and ethnic stuff.

Lake Pueblo State Park is also close by, its about $35 for a one year pass to all colorado state parks, a very good investment.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 PM

299 posts, read 903,565 times
Please read this closely, because you need to know what you may be getting into if you move to Pueblo.

If you are considering a move to Colorado, that is great, just don't move to Pueblo. I've lived here my entire life, and now that I am almost done with college, I am leaving all doors open so that I can get the heck out of here.

Pueblo is a city that is 25 years behind the times. The biggest employer in the city used to be the steel mill, but over the last two decades, production at the mill has slowed to a crawl. The city has had very little economic development for years, and therefore, good jobs are very hard to come by. The majority of the city's workforce is employed either in medical fields or at one of the city's numerous call centers.

If you are coming from Boston, the first thing you will think when you go to Wal-Mart is that you have crossed the Mexican border. Statistics say that 40% of the redidents are Hispanic, and I am very skeptical about that. I would estimate the number to be closer to 60 or 65 percent. It is also pretty bad when you have a mariachi band playing at the groundbreaking ceremony for a new health department.

The school system is about average. There are some schools that are very good, some that are very bad, and some that are right in the middle. I would suggest sending your daughters to Heaton Middle School and then Centennial High School, as those two schools seem to be the most "Down to Earth."

The atmosphere is not necessarily "Friendly," people from the south side of town in particular think that they are "above" everybody and often will not not give you the time of day. The Hispanics are also very hostile towards white people and think that they are out to screw them over.

If you want to know how much crime there is, just look at the statistics in the city profile. High crime areas are the east side, west side, and Bessemer. Most other neighborhoods are fairly safe.

About the only good thing I can say about Pueblo is that it has some of the best Mexican food in the country. Some of the best restaurants are Jorge's Sombrero and Cactus Flower.

If theres anything else that you want to know, ask me. I'll be more than happy to help.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 PM

Wow you had a bad experiance in Pueblo. I am sorry to hear about that as I have found Pueblo to be a up and coming city. Just look at my top 10 devlopments for 2009 in the Pueblo thread. Anyway if you don't like it here then you should move, I would never tell anyone they should live in a city they do not like.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM

138 posts, read 339,771 times
I've lived in Pueblo for a while now and I love it here. I also love the culture. Hispanic people do not bother me at all in fact im even engaged to a hispanic girl. I find it pretty cool that a marachi band was playing at the opening of the health center, didnt hear about that one.

One thing I will agree with is that there are no entry level jobs here aside from fast food. It is near impossible to get a job without a degree which is what im working on right now.

The high schools I really wouldn't my children to attend after being in them and being from the East, they simply dont have the high standards that I look for in a school and im sure most new englanders who live in the smaller towns would agree.

Overall I like Pueblo and would like it more if I could find a job. These people are all way too nice, something a Bostonian is not accustomed to... it just fits my lifestyle better.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
I've lived in Pueblo for a while now and I love it here. I also love the culture. Hispanic people do not bother me at all in fact im even engaged to a hispanic girl. I find it pretty cool that a marachi band was playing at the opening of the health center, didnt hear about that one.

One thing I will agree with is that there are no entry level jobs here aside from fast food. It is near impossible to get a job without a degree which is what im working on right now.

The high schools I really wouldn't my children to attend after being in them and being from the East, they simply dont have the high standards that I look for in a school and im sure most new englanders who live in the smaller towns would agree.

Overall I like Pueblo and would like it more if I could find a job. These people are all way too nice, something a Bostonian is not accustomed to... it just fits my lifestyle better.
I agree 100% that Pueblo needs more jobs. That is why I am exited and keep talking about the Riverwalk, Vesta's, Pueblo Springs Ranch and the Colorado Energy Park. If we can get these developments going then Pueblo will have more then enough jobs for everyone.

Everyone forgets about CSU Pueblo, not many cities have a major university in their city and that is why I am so exited about CSU Pueblo. They should help us attract more companies in the future.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 AM

271 posts, read 657,475 times
I lived in Pueblo a few years back and absolutely loved it! I would move back in a heartbeat accept for a few things. Decent paying jobs are hard to come by, so if you get the one at 50k a year, consider yourself lucky. And it may be difficult to find an apartment complex that accepts dogs.

I myself don't have kids but I was a "big brother" through the "Big Brothers/Big Sisters" program and my experience was that the Pueblo School District wasn't so good but the Pueblo County School District did pretty well.

Finally, the hispanic culture. No problem if you are a mature adult but it is true the hispanic children may be mean but, kids will be kids so just be aware for your daughters sake

Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,230 times
I know this area well. I've taught elementary school for 15 years in Colorado, 10 in the Pueblo area, and I would say definitely NOT Pueblo D-60 for your girls. If you still think it's a good deal, look at Pueblo West for schools, however the neighborhoods of dirt roads are not that appealing, I must say! I think some of the nicest folks I've ever known live in that area, but the schools have struggled. Go to the Colorado Dept of Education to make an informed decision about any schools you're interested in for your kids. If you like southern CO v. Denver then try looking in Colorado Springs to live. Academy 20, Falcon 49, Cheyenne Mountain, Manitou Springs, and Lewis Palmer 38 are all good school districts. Colorado Springs D-11 has some good schools, too. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaylight View Post
I know this area well. I've taught elementary school for 15 years in Colorado, 10 in the Pueblo area, and I would say definitely NOT Pueblo D-60 for your girls. If you still think it's a good deal, look at Pueblo West for schools, however the neighborhoods of dirt roads are not that appealing, I must say! I think some of the nicest folks I've ever known live in that area, but the schools have struggled. Go to the Colorado Dept of Education to make an informed decision about any schools you're interested in for your kids. If you like southern CO v. Denver then try looking in Colorado Springs to live. Academy 20, Falcon 49, Cheyenne Mountain, Manitou Springs, and Lewis Palmer 38 are all good school districts. Colorado Springs D-11 has some good schools, too. Good luck!
I have to disagree. I went to district 60 while some of my best friends went to some of the best schools back east. I got my masters from USD they did not finish college. In the end, IMO, what you get out of the school you attend is based more on what you put into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado