Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM

135 posts, read 437,709 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I hope that someone will be able to help me here. My boyfriend and I are in our early 30ies. We are planing on moving to Colorado area- Denver, or Colorado Springs area.
My boyfriend is a cook, and he also works as a companion with an older handicapped man, and I'm a nanny, and a real estate agent in CT. Here in CT job maket is totally different, and we get paid quite well for what we do.

We are open for all job opportunities for decent money. Well...almost all
We plan to move mainly because we both love outdoors, nature, and sports, and of course we would like to do it as soon as possible.

We would like to get some info on where should we be starting looking for jobs?
We were thinking about opening one of those moving kitchen businesses -selling hamburgers. hot dogs etc... I also was thinking about getting the diploma in medical/dental assistant priror of moving? Is that a crazy idea? Does it have any sense?
I have an associate degree in business office technology( administrative assistant), but I don't think it would be a good job for a great money...

It's a tough decission and any of you who move somewhere bafore know what I'm feeling now. Especially when you dont have any job perspectives, or a lot in savings.

I would appreciate all posts here...

Thanks a lot,

Magdalena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,787,102 times
I'm suprised that you are making good money as a cook and real estate/nanny. I don't think those pay well here in Colorado. I don't know.

Anyway, I think it's a good plan to try to move to Colorado. You'll love the outdoors and mountains. As for jobs, you should know that Colorado employers don't pay much attention to out-of-state applicants. With the economy the way it is, they're probably ignoring them totally. Not to say you shouldn't try. By all means, submit your applications, but don't be suprised if nobody calls you. You may have to move here first, get a job afterwards.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply. I know the market here and there is so different. WE do make a nice money here simply beacause we both work for extremely rich people-Greenwich CT. If we could have the same income in Co, I would be very happy, but I know it's impossible.

How much should one make a week to live in decent apartment, in safe area, to be able to travel, and save some money a month in Denver area/ Colorado Springs area?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 AM

You know, I've heard about Greenwich CT and I've wondered a couple times over the years what it would be like to move there and work as a "normal" person. I'm curious to why you want to move? Isn't it a good life there?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 PM

It's ok here, but we don't have mountains here- Vermont is the closest place about 4 hours away, and there is a lot of huminity in the summertime. Nature is a main reason why we think of Colorado. Secondly, with the savings we have, we would be able to afford much more in CO, than here, and we don't like mortgages very much... )Also, I have a feeling that people at mid west live slower than the ones here... It's all about work and money... fine for us now, but we would like to find a nice, safe place to start a family and feel that Colorado is the one...

What are your feelings about it?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,687,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalena1 View Post
It's ok here, but we don't have mountains here- Vermont is the closest place about 4 hours away, and there is a lot of huminity in the summertime. Nature is a main reason why we think of Colorado. Secondly, with the savings we have, we would be able to afford much more in CO, than here, and we don't like mortgages very much... )Also, I have a feeling that people at mid west live slower than the ones here... It's all about work and money... fine for us now, but we would like to find a nice, safe place to start a family and feel that Colorado is the one...

I've done Colorado and the east coast and have lived in CT. Personally I prefer it back east overall. Colorado is a "home" state to me, but it is not the promised land. It has it's problems like anywhere else and is far from perfect.

Colorado is either heavily urbanized or very rural and I think you'll find there is not much transition between the two like is found back east.

Probably the best thing for you to do is visit and travel around and see for yourself.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Yes, your're right. We are planning a trip there around May next year, and see how we like it.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,006,557 times
Magdalena wrote:
It's ok here, but we don't have mountains here- Vermont is the closest place about 4 hours away, and there is a lot of huminity in the summertime
One nice thing about Colorado is the dry air. There is very little huminity.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalena1 View Post

Sounds like Colorado or other Western states would be a fit for you.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
I wouldn't move unless at least one of you has a job here.

To me it seems like finding a job as a nanny in a brand new place right off the bat would be unlikely. I have young kids, and I'm trying to imagine hiring a nanny who doesn't know the area very well. I'd be hesitant. Having something else to fall back on would be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado