Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 AM

14 posts, read 37,420 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from Seattle and last year we moved to Corpus Christi, TX. We do not like it here at all. We miss greenery, trees, fall colors, etc. We do not like the extremes here. Meaning: severe storms with rain that floods in less than an hour. Rain so hard you cannot see an inch in front of you when your driving. The possibility of tornados. The possibility of hurricanes. Yeah, we knew most of that when we moved here but thought we could deal with it. Due to my job I now live in the country which is okay but we would like to have a small drive for my husbands work.

So what we are looking for is a place with distinct seasons like washington had. I really miss fall and all the colors in Washington, that is my favorite season. I have been to Colorado and I know you get a lot more snow that we did in washington. Is there anywhere in Colorado that has distinct seasons, low tornado possibilites, is much more beautiful to look at than south texas. Also, my husband currently works as a cook but has done construction, warehouse and landscaping. We would like to drive no more that 20 minutes to work. I do home caregiving so I am sure I can find some work.

Is any of that possible without being in 10 feet of snow in during the winter? I have only traveled there in the summers before.

Also, what is the cost of living like here. We do not need a huge city but maybe small town or suburb area. Here in south texas the housing is very cheap and so is the gas. Rent ranges from 500 - 800 for a halfway decent place. but the pay here is low.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM

648 posts, read 2,942,738 times
Hey there!

Ok, I found a calculator for you that will give you and idea of cost of living.

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Here in Colorado we get around 2 major snow storms a year. Where you are snowed in for a day. that is about it. We have snow here and there but nothing to extreme. Usually the snow melts fairly quickly.

I hope this helps!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,922,637 times
We seriously don't get four distinct seasons. And a lot of people that come here from lush places hate the brown season - from Oct to April.

As for work versus cost of living. Texas is so much more less expensive when it comes to housing. I am currently renting a two bedroom apartment for around the $800 mark. No privacy, parking is a drag and with a dog, I have to walk him on a leash rather than let him run around in a back yard.

I'm not saying you shouldn't look into it further but based on your post, and having good friends that loved it here but hated the cost of living who moved back to Texas, I caution you from thinking the grass is greener here. It literally isn't.

I love the state I was born and raised in but when people post something like that, I know the excitement of past friends who did similar, it quickly fades. It may fade sooner because of the economy. Unless you already have work, I don't recommend anyone moving from their current locations unless you have a decent savings, family or friends that can help out or simply just can't stay where you are. Ride it out until the economy is better...and that would be along the lines of anyone, not just people looking to Colorado.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
For starters there is a wealth of information already posted on this forum that answer many of the questions you have. I'd take a couple of hours and read through some of the posts as there is a wealth of info.

Colorado has highly variable weather with a plethora of microclimates. In terms of four distinct seasons I don't think it's as set in stone as it is elsewhere in the USA.

Colorado does have fall colors in certain places in the mountains but you pretty much have to drive up into the various areas to find them in large numbers.

Cost of living while it once was cheap I don't think it is anymore and if you live in the mountains the cost goes up significantly.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,496,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
Hey there!

Here in Colorado we get around 2 major snow storms a year. Where you are snowed in for a day. that is about it. We have snow here and there but nothing to extreme. Usually the snow melts fairly quickly.
That is such an oversimplified statement that it's ridiculous. I hate it when people, especially real estate salespeople, play fast and hard with the facts. There are some places in Colorado where that is true. There are some locales that get very little snow at all. There are some places that get a lot. And there some places that get more than 2 big storms a winter. To make a general statement as is made above is both inaccurate and misleading.

The OP sounds like she misses Pacific Northwest greenery. There are very few places in Colorado to find that. She also sounds like she has a disdain for violent weather. Well, Colorado may not get a lot of tornadoes, but Colorado's Front Range sits right dead center in "Hail Alley"--where severe thunderstorms, often with severe hail, are relatively common. Oh, and Colorado Springs--where this reply came from--is one of the most thunderstorm-prone locations in Colorado, and one the most thunderstorm-prone locations outside of Florida in the summer months.

One more time (about the thousandth), go to Weatherbase and compare climate statistics. It's far better information than most of the hearsay bull**** that is posted on this forum about Colorado climate and weather--stuff often posted by people who either don't even live in Colorado, or only have for a short time. Me--I've been here and been studying Colorado climate for--oh--just about a half-century.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,190,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
One more time (about the thousandth), go to Weatherbase and compare climate statistics. It's far better information than most of the hearsay bull**** that is posted on this forum about Colorado climate and weather--stuff often posted by people who either don't even live in Colorado, or only have for a short time.
True, AND, better yet, don't make major life-changing decisions based on weather patterns.

Is weather a real QoL factor? Yes. More-so for some than for others. But I'm constantly seeing weather at the top of peoples list of considerations when thinking about where to move... Right up there with the political and religious presence of a given area.

While these are indeed good things to consider, they pale in comparison to things like, 'How can I line up a job interview?' and 'How far might I have to commute from my dream home to that prospective job?' Those sorts of questions seem to be more of an afterthought for most aspiring transplants.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:53 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,496,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
True, AND, better yet, don't make major life-changing decisions based on weather patterns.

Is weather a real QoL factor? Yes. More-so for some than for others. But I'm constantly seeing weather at the top of peoples list of considerations when thinking about where to move... Right up there with the political and religious presence of a given area.

While these are indeed good things to consider, they pale in comparison to things like, 'How can I line up a job interview?' and 'How far might I have to commute from my dream home to that prospective job?' Those sorts of questions seem to be more of an afterthought for most aspiring transplants.
I will be the first to admit that there are some very attractive features to the climate in many Colorado locales. Of course, the Chamber of Commerce-types have also been pimping it for way over a century now. So, not surprising, the main things a lot of wannabe Coloradans think that they know about Colorado are a) there's mountains there, and b) the climate is great.

Of course, those of us who know the geography of Colorado know that a) Colorado is about one-third plains, one-third mountains, and one-third desert; and b) there are many, many different climates in Colorado, and some are not as pleasant as others.

I look at climate as I do the scenery--it is a nice amenity to have if you can afford to live here, BUT you can't eat either one. So, treedonkey, you are right--climate is a nice attribute of a place, but having a job and a home you can afford, etc. is probably more critical to one's overall happiness. On those latter points, Colorado is faring a little worse every day.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So, not surprising, the main things a lot of wannabe Coloradans think that they know about Colorado are a) there's mountains there, and b) the climate is great.
The climate is great if you like highly variable weather, dry air, high elevation, long winters, wind, etc. There are a lot of nice days in Colorado and many that are not. Just depends what you like. For me I didn't mind it too much because I am a mountain man and like colder weather.

For a lot of people it is too much an extreme to deal with.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:54 AM

14 posts, read 37,420 times
Thank you everyone for your posts. Since I posted I have done much more research and agree that I dont think Colorado is what I am looking for. My husband likes it though. However, my husband does not get all worked up during the storms like I do. Pueblo seems like a nice place. But like i said we are in the beginning of our search and have other states to look at as well. And yes, we are looking at all the factors such as economy, housing costs, etc... And I am able to look at weather data the same as everyone else and have done so. I just like to hear it out of the mouths of people who actually live there and experience it. I get a much better picture that way.

Thank you again for all the informative replies.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:27 PM

345 posts, read 914,879 times
I love it here but I so miss the green and the trees of the East Coast. You will not find that in many places here. Nor will you find in the Fall the oranges, browns and yellows you are use to. Right now it is quite nice here but quite a few times in Sept there had been snow right around my birthday making me get a cold then the next day it will be in the 60's and the snow will be gone.
Some seasons are shorter than others and we can have more than 2 snow storms in a week especially in March. If your husband is stuck on here then I suggest a visit. Even during the green season it is probably not as green as you are use to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado