Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 85,944 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Brighton and Montrose, Colorado. Both very different from each other. I live in Portland, OR now, but most likely will be getting a job offer in Pueblo.

I've been there a few times, but usually just for meetings, so I got there, spent a night or two and ate out at a restaurant and maybe went to the mall.

We'll make enough money that we could live most anywhere there. But no matter where you build or buy your house, you still have to "live" in the city you live in... shop, go out to eat, recreation, parks, etc.

Is it worth moving to? Is there high crime that affects everywhere? What exactly is bad about it and why should I avoid it or what do you love about it that would make me move there? It's me, my wife and 11 year old daughter.

Thanks for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 01:34 AM

3 posts, read 21,206 times
Sir,

I am native oregonion who relocated to Colorado Springs.
One of the main differneces in moving the going from sea level to over 5,000 feet. If you are an outdoor type and in good health this may not be a problem. Yet, you will need to become aclimitized to the attilitude.
Also, this city has two different personalities. A christian one and a military one.
We have three military bases and over ninity christian founations plus aroun 500 place of worship.
It is a great place for a family who live the outdoors because we have great access to the mountains.
Like Oregon, if you don't like the ewather, just wait ten minutes.
Unlike oregon, which is become califoriized, we are becoming invaided by many from the south and the great nation of Europe .
Go to the city date web site at https://www.city-data.com for more specific data.
May the Lord bless you and yours as you make this move.
IHS
James

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,618 times
Since the replies so far have been either uninformed or not about Pueblo at all...

We lived near Beulah for 5 years (25 miles SW of Pueblo), so Pueblo was where we did all shopping, went for entertainment, etc. We lived within the city for almost a year while we built a house near Beulah. We've also lived in metro-Denver, and are currently in Montrose.

We found Pueblo to be a very friendly place with more of a feel of being a much smaller city than it actually is, in terms of traffic, lack of stress, etc. There is a large Hispanic population -- about 40% -- which is largely made up of descendents of very early settlers in the area. These folks included our family doctor, our landlord when we rented a house in Pueblo, many business owners, etc. This Hispanic influence brings a lot of "flavor" to Pueblo expressed with festivals, for example, and I suspect have a lot to do with the warm, friendly atmosphere there.

On the other hand, there are areas in Pueblo that have more problems with crime and gang activity than you might expect in this "small" city. The overall economy is weak; there aren't many well-paying jobs and the city doesn't seem to be able to attract new employers other than those paying minimum-wage. There are also an amazing number of bars in Pueblo.

We prefer more of an "outdoors activities" sort of lifestyle, and met very, very few people in the Pueblo area who shared our interests.

I think a lot will depend on your interests and on your job satisfaction. Pueblo can seem like a wonderful place in some respects, but for some people it can seem bad.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:45 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Though I have never lived in Pueblo, I have a number of friends who either live there or grew up there. I think that Winglady's comments are pretty accurate with a couple of exceptions. First, I think that there are a lot of "outdoors-oriented" people in Pueblo--they just don't outwardly show it off. They don't wear the latest "outdoor chic" fashions or drive fancy SUV's to the mountains. They just go fish, hunt, 4-wheel, camp, or hike without a lot of fanfare. And, unlike most of the Front Range and the I-70 "Sacrifice Zone" going west, there are some delightful mountain areas not far from Pueblo that haven't been overrun and "loved to death" by the urban recreationist crowd. Those would include the Greenhorn Mountains, the Wet Mountain Valley, the Sangre de Cristos, and the whole area around the Spanish Peaks--all relatively close to Pueblo. That right there would make Pueblo real attractive to me.

Unlike a lot of Colorado metro areas, Pueblo has some neighborhoods that are BOTH nice and affordable. As Winglady said, there are some rough areas that should be avoided, but that is true of most cities of any appreciable size. As to Winglady's comments about Pueblo bars, there are quite a few, but I don't think any more per capita than in the Denver area or the Springs. Most Pueblo bars seem to be the small neighborhood type.

I have no direct experience with the Pueblo school system, so I can't comment about that.

TKO1068, you lived in both Brighton and Montrose (I used to live not far from Montrose). Pueblo probably has a feel closer to Brighton. Ignore zoto's condescending comment. He skipped right over the fact that you had once lived in Colorado, and proceeded to bash Pueblo, as people in the Springs sometimes love to do. And, quite frankly, I feel safer in most areas of Pueblo than I do in some of the cheesier areas in Colorado Springs.

Pueblo has faced many serious economic challenges over the last 20-30 years, what with the loss of a lot of its industrial base in what was the most industrialized city in Colorado. To Pueblo's credit, it has tried to diversify its economic base and to hold on to its remaining industry. I wonder what the Springs would act like if all of those taxpayer-funded military bases up and pulled out of town one day.

Personally, I like the climate better in Colorado Springs (a little cooler in the summer), but if I had to choose right now between living in Colorado Springs or Pueblo, I'd probably choose Pueblo. I'd even choose Pueblo over Grand Junction, and I'm a former Western Slope resident! Unlike so many Colorado communities, Pueblo does not pretend to be something that it's not--it's actually proud of its heritage and its roots. There are a lot of historical buildings and homes in Pueblo proper--stuff that has been bulldozed in a lot of other Colorado metro areas in the name of "progress."

Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,987 times
I've never lived in Pueblo but it used to have a reallly bad reputation. I live in Colorado Springs and I am pretty nuetral about Pueblo now. As stated, there are the bad parts and there are the good parts. Any decent realtor will help you steer clear of the no-so-great areas.

My parents had friends that lived in Pueblo and we used to visit a lot when I was a child. The neighborhood they lived in was just your basic middle-class neighborhood that you'd find anywhere.

Things I don't like about it is that it's more prairie than it is tight up against the mountains like C Springs.

C Springs is a quick drive so things like major concerts (that aren't during the State Fair) and other things you just don't get in Pueblo are a pretty short drive.

Pueblo West offers decent housing and some of the more "desireable" neighborhoods. Pricing down there is much less than C Springs but I have known people to live in C Springs to commute to Pueblo. Heck one of my dad's partners owns a construction company that is based in Pueblo. He commutes from about the center of C Springs to Pueblo a lot.

Pueblo doesn't have the tourism base that surrounding areas do but it's a quaint little city that is not as bad as it's reputation. I have lived in Colorado all my life and Pueblo is something like a little step-sister to C Springs - if you will.

As also mentioned is that it can get very hot down there in the summer but like C Springs, when the thunderstorms roll through it can cut that heat out very quickly.

Plus they are very much working on the river walk area which I have yet to get my buns to go see. I also really want to go to the green chile festival they have. They also have jazz concerts in the winter to break up the bordeom that comes with winter around here...

Surprisingly enough, Pueblo seems to have more "community" focused offerings than C Springs does. The two in C Springs that stand out for me is Springspree and the holiday lights parade...oh wait, the pancake breakfast put together by Ft. Carson for the rodeo. But overall, Pueblo always seems to have something going on.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:03 PM

Thumbs up Thanks to everyone so far!

I appreciate the comments. Yes, I lived in Montrose and really liked it. I did not like Brighton too much, but only lived there for 7 weeks, so I can't judge, and that was years ago.

I have an acquaintance from Pueblo West that I called today and we talked about 20 mins and she heavily suggested PW to move to. I remember driving through that area and thought it was pretty cool.

As for incomes, if I get the job I'm interviewing for, it will pay very well. My wife is an RN, and she'll be doing fine too. With that, I was more worried about my daughter going to school and enjoying it, as well as stuff to do after hours that we would all have fun doing. Of course, I don't want to worry about my car getting stolen or a bunch of gang-bangers either.

I'm pretty excited about the opportunity. ANYTHING to get me out of Portland, OR, which is the worst place I've ever lived.

Thanks again, and keep the comments coming.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
If you've got a decent job and your wife is an RN, then about 80% of your concerns about living Pueblo are solved.

Some of the shopping in the area isn't the best but that's a good excuse to head up to Colorado Springs or Denver. You've also got online shopping as an option. I think that Pueblo is improving in that aspect as well. The mall isn't very good but it was recently renovated. I just wish they could fill some of the vacancies there.

I hear we have a gang problem but I wouldn't readily notice it as being any worse than a similiar sized city.

The Mexican food is awesome.

I think that Pueblo is going to take off soon and will be one of the more desirable places to live in Colorado. It's on the Front Range but "south of civilation" as a friend of mine from Loveland says. From Pueblo I can go down the Arkansas Valley and go visit Bent's Fort, head south to Colorado City, Rye, San Isabel, Bishop's Castle, Westcliffe, or head up to Monument to go skiing, or over to Cripple Creek to "donate" some of my change.

I'm still finding gas for 2.79/gallon. That isn't very good but it's better than what they are paying in California.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-27-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Thanks, McGowDog. Today (4-23-07), gas is $3.29/$3.39/$3.49 in Portland.

I think Pueblo's going to be just fine. I love SW type architecture and would look for a nice Spanish/SW style house in Pueblo West and we'd be just fine. My wife wants sun and Pueblo's got it.

I do understand, however, that everyone is different, with different tastes and values. I loved Montrose, I love Salt Lake City, I love Minneapolis, I love Michigan and Indiana. I hate Portland, OR with a mad passion, although SO many people like this God-Awful place.

I'll have to re-write on this post after living there for a while and see if I still like it

Old 04-24-2007, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 41,053 times
Cool Colorado City/Pueblo Native Here!

As a Pueblo County native I know a little bit about the best areas. I was actually born in Brighton but only lived there until I was 3. I lived in Colorado City and attended K-12 there and let me tell you something. That was School District 70, as is Pueblo West, and out east on the Mesa. I highly recommend District 70 over District 60 because in my experience so far there is less violence and crime in the District 70 school system.

Colorado City is absolutely beautiful with the mountains, the lakes, etc. Hiking, golfing, fishing and camping were some of my favorite things to do in Colorado City. Although we'd have to go shopping in Pueblo because Colorado City has the small town prices (paying double at the grocery store, etc.). But Colorado City is only about a 20-30 minute drive from Pueblo.

Right now we live on the West side of Pueblo and haven't encountered any crime thus far... If I could choose over again, I'd live in 1) Colorado City, 2) Pueblo West (although it gets VERY windy), or 3) out on the mesa.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with relocating!!!

Jamie

Old 04-24-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Thanks again.

Yes, anything helps. I'm coming to Pueblo next week for a tour and my final interview. All looks good. I'll do some research on Colorado City. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado