Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,564 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at 2 potential job opportunities, one in Texas, the other in colorado.

The CO job pays more, but I feel the TX job has more stability. Just overall, how do you see the economy in CO the next 3-5 years, same, better, worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 01:43 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,915 times
I would really hope you wouldn't base your decision from what people on here might "predict".

Go where you will be happy in the long run - lifestyle, etc. I wouldn't count on any job being "stable" these days, or one being more stable than another. Trust me on that!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I would really hope you wouldn't base your decision from what people on here might "predict".

Go where you will be happy in the long run - lifestyle, etc. I wouldn't count on any job being "stable" these days, or one being more stable than another. Trust me on that!

Good point, go where you'd be happy!

But, we'd be happy with a stable job. We're both mid 50's, have been laid off many times in the last 4 years, and are facing an uncertain future. I'd prefer stability over big bucks---btw, the jobs we're looking at in TX are govt jobs, not big bucks, but stability. We're not young anymore, can't afford to pack up and move again and again!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,915 times
Well, we lived in Dallas years ago before moving here....I'll take here any day over Texas, I disliked living there so much.

Cost of living is higher here - so in the long run you'd most likely be the same depending on what the difference is. In other words, just because it pays more here, doesn't most likely mean you'll have more disposable income than you would in Texas.

Still, if you feel stability is more important and that Texas is that place, then I would think then I'd go for that. Anyone who gives a long term prediction of what THEY think the economy will be like here in 3-5 years and you bank on that....you may be very disappointed.

If you've been offered both and are having to decide between the two consider yourself incredibly fortunate. Many would want to be in your shoes....

Where are you moving from?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Well, we lived in Dallas years ago before moving here....I'll take here any day over Texas, I disliked living there so much.

Cost of living is higher here - so in the long run you'd most likely be the same depending on what the difference is. In other words, just because it pays more here, doesn't most likely mean you'll have more disposable income than you would in Texas.

Still, if you feel stability is more important and that Texas is that place, then I would think then I'd go for that. Anyone who gives a long term prediction of what THEY think the economy will be like here in 3-5 years and you bank on that....you may be very disappointed.

If you've been offered both and are having to decide between the two consider yourself incredibly fortunate. Many would want to be in your shoes....

Where are you moving from?

We live around Ft Worth, and haven't been offered anything yet, just two strong possibilities. What did you dislike about Dallas? for us its the heat, get more unbearable every year.

The reason I'm leaning towards the TX jobs is that they are both govt, so, guess its not a matter of TX vs CO but govt vs corp. I guess we just want more stability in our lives, although there is about a 30% difference in pay.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:35 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I moved here from Dallas/Ft. Worth over 30 years ago. I am originally from New York. I was also in the Army in Texas. I really enjoyed Texas. The people were extremely friendly and helpful, especially when I was in the Army. Dallas/Ft. was a big city back then and I have been back and it is much bigger. It still was the same friendly place that I remembered.

It is certainly much bigger than Denver and consequently has more to offer in terms of varieties of jobs and potential to have big choices of staying in area and moving up in your career. Denver is not quite at the level of DFW but it is still has a great future and is growing rapidly.

I never left because of the weather. I left because I was in the wanderlust period of my life. Denver may offer a little better quality of life because it is slower, much smaller and has integrated much of the outdoors with extensive parks and trails within the city. In addition, the Rockies certainly add to the ambiance. Dallas/Ft. Worth has much better foliage coverage and some people do not like the brown sparseness of the Great Plains of Denver.

I think Denver also has much better race relations than many areas of Dallas/Ft.Worth. Dallas is a hard tough city in parts, and I have never seen Denver having those similar tough areas. I am saying this from the prospective of a New Yorker; I have lived in tough areas.

I could live in both cities but for tranquility I would choose Denver, for potential of a hard driving successful business life in the private sector, I would choose Dallas. The public sector of employment would make no difference, as aggressiveness and innovation is not rewarded; you just keep quiet and droned along to your pension; in many, but not all government careers.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-16-2009 at 05:49 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 05:39 PM

you just keep quiet and droned along to your pension.

That's about right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado