Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 AM

13 posts, read 52,595 times

Advertisements

Can someone shed some light on current Colorado culture?

Having come here from upstate NY (Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse), I initially described it to friends and families as a t-shirt and jeans culture. I typically meet a native Coloradan maybe 2 in 10 people, so 20% of the time.

Native Coloradans seem reserved and friendly. Possibly overwhelmed with the influx of folks from elsewhere. MidWest relocates are so stoic. I call them the army of Spocks if you know the star trek reference. The Cali relocates remind me the most of NY'ers. Speak their mind, and opinions to share.

The Southern Denver mix seems to be
20% Coloradans, 40% Cali's, 30% Mid-West, 10% other

The dress down here has me confused, most folks wear what's comfortable, or their old clothes as if they are going to paint their house. I saw a couple so dressed down, I could swear they were impoverished , but then they climbed into a Mercedes and drove away. We went to a child's birthday party, I wore a polo and jeans, and felt over dressed as most folks wore faded t-shirts and jeans. Also can more people please wear gym clothes around? I think that's a Cali thing.

How does an upstate NY'er used to dressing their socio-economic station and going 150mph acclimate to Southern Denver culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:49 PM

247 posts, read 745,107 times
What's not to understand? Wear what's comfortable... not what you think will impress other people.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Culture? Huh, I never noticed. You see the trendy crap downtown. Up in the mountains you see clothes you would wear outdoors.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTahoes View Post
Can someone shed some light on current Colorado culture?

Having come here from upstate NY (Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse), I initially described it to friends and families as a t-shirt and jeans culture. I typically meet a native Coloradan maybe 2 in 10 people, so 20% of the time.

Native Coloradans seem reserved and friendly. Possibly overwhelmed with the influx of folks from elsewhere. MidWest relocates are so stoic. I call them the army of Spocks if you know the star trek reference. The Cali relocates remind me the most of NY'ers. Speak their mind, and opinions to share.

The Southern Denver mix seems to be
20% Coloradans, 40% Cali's, 30% Mid-West, 10% other

The dress down here has me confused, most folks wear what's comfortable, or their old clothes as if they are going to paint their house. I saw a couple so dressed down, I could swear they were impoverished , but then they climbed into a Mercedes and drove away. We went to a child's birthday party, I wore a polo and jeans, and felt over dressed as most folks wore faded t-shirts and jeans. Also can more people please wear gym clothes around? I think that's a Cali thing.

How does an upstate NY'er used to dressing their socio-economic station and going 150mph acclimate to Southern Denver culture?
First of all, Denver metro pretty much has the same character (or lack thereof) of any urban/suburban blob city in the western United States. Colorado's resort areas are pretty much the home of affluent phonies from somewhere else trying to look and act like "real Coloradans." To any long-time Coloradan, they stick out like a sore thumb.

The Eastern Plains of Colorado is farm and ranch country--populated by those types of folks almost exclusively. They are friendly, but independent and often blunt. If you want a friend who will stick with you through thick and thin, they can't be beat, though.

The southern half of Colorado is heavily influenced by a Hispanic culture that predates statehood. Until relatively recent years, the Hispanic and Anglo culture of that area lived together and worked together, but with neither really assimilating much of the other. It's still that way to some extent.

Western Colorado used to be like the Eastern Plains, a lot plain-talking, hard-working ranchers and farmers. An added feature was the mining culture, found both there and in much of southern Colorado. The miners were hard-working and hard-drinking, hard-living folks--and a lot of that mentality still lives there. The modern version of that is the oil and gas "culture" that can be found in many areas of the state where that industry is active. This area is being "resort-ized" pretty heavily, so the old culture is getting pretty diluted.

Of course, in the southwestern corner of Colorado, there is the Native American culture of the Ute Indians--with the Jicarilla Apache Reservation just across the border in New Mexico and the Navajo Reservation just across the border in New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona.

So which Colorado culture are you asking about? There are a lot of them.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
NickTahoes wrote:
Having come here from upstate NY (Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse), I initially described it to friends and families as a t-shirt and jeans culture.

The dress down here has me confused, most folks wear what's comfortable, or their old clothes as if they are going to paint their house. I saw a couple so dressed down, I could swear they were impoverished , but then they climbed into a Mercedes and drove away. We went to a child's birthday party, I wore a polo and jeans, and felt over dressed as most folks wore faded t-shirts and jeans.

How does an upstate NY'er used to dressing their socio-economic station and going 150mph acclimate to Southern Denver culture
Colorado.....where dress up attire means cleaning your hiking boots and ironing your jeans.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Pueblo is more of a industrial city that meets the south west, a rather unique city not only in Colorado but the United States.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 PM

24 posts, read 122,769 times
Cosmicwizard, you left out Boulder!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,289,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeGainsbourg View Post
Cosmicwizard, you left out Boulder!
Here, I'll have a go at it.

In Boulder, dressing up means applying a new coat of fluorescent green to your spiked hair, taking some Brasso to the metal tiedown rings sticking out all over your body, using a hose to wash the mud out from between your toes and you Birkenstocks, and spraying 100% DEET spray into your armpits for odor and insect control.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Here, I'll have a go at it.

In Boulder, dressing up means applying a new coat of fluorescent green to your spiked hair, taking some Brasso to the metal tiedown rings sticking out all over your body, using a hose to wash the mud out from between your toes and you Birkenstocks, and spraying 100% DEET spray into your armpits for odor and insect control.

So untrue.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM

17 posts, read 84,965 times
I've never really thought about it, which I think sums it up. I'm usually not focused on outward appearance, unless I'm attending a special event (which is rare). I wear what I have, I have what I wear. My husband is from upstate NY, and is of the same ilk. Chalk it up to personality, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado