Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 21,921 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I think that you might want to think twice before making the move. I am originally from NY, and also lived in FL 14 years. I have lived here for 20 years and loved Colorado but recently have begun to feel that I am living in a glorified desert. It is extremely dry and arrid here.

Yes, you can live allot cheaper here than in NY, but it is a totally different terrain than what you are used to. It is very brown here, and you do not have all the beautifull trees you do back east. It greens up here for about 2 months in the spring and then everything goes brown again.

You might want to consider Charlotte, NC. It's cheaper to live there, cheaper thank CO and will resemble the area you are in more. I don't want to be negative, I just think CO get's very over-rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 17,270 times
Thanks for all the speedy responses! My husband and I did live in Summit County and also Boulder for almost 5 years, we left a little over 5 years ago. We also lived in Bend, OR (the High Desert) for a few years as well. I did miss the forestry that the east coast brings (fall is beautiful) but with it also comes health issues. This is another reason that we thought a drier climate would work better for us. Also, I am not aware of any good snowboarding out in NC. We moved back to be closer to family, but we are quickly learning that maybe we were better off with a "long distance relationship." Although, I know it will be hard for everyone. Anyway, I obviously knew how expensive it was to purchase a house in Boulder (reason why we didn't) and decided to travel around before kids came. I have read the information on this site, and have looked online at houses in our price range. But, looks can be deceiving, and they don't tell you a whole lot. You can make anything/anywhere sound good on paper. So, it is great to hear from people who are actually livin' it! Thanks again, anymore comments welcome!

Old 01-27-2008, 01:15 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
What health issues do you have that you think the dry climate will improve? It used to be thought that the dry air was good for TB and other respiratory illnesses, but it has been found not to be the case. About the only condition that might be improved in this climate is mold allergy, since we are not so prone to molds. However, in your own home, mold can still be a problem. Re: houses-it's true looks can be deceiving, but the prices being asked are not.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
What health issues do you have that you think the dry climate will improve? It used to be thought that the dry air was good for TB and other respiratory illnesses, but it has been found not to be the case. About the only condition that might be improved in this climate is mold allergy, since we are not so prone to molds. However, in your own home, mold can still be a problem. Re: houses-it's true looks can be deceiving, but the prices being asked are not.
I would like to add that relief from arthritic conditions is a benefit of a dry climate. For me it is astounding. I have many severe conditions including arthritis and it is amasing the differences dry days make to my welfare. When it is wet and cold, or wet and hot---just wet or humid--my joints, tendons and bones all start to complain. Going to a wet areas like the Great Lakes States is a nightmare with moisture all through the year.

Maybe is is not so for some people, but many people I have talked to have said the same about the effects of dry climate on their arthritic conditions.

Unfortunately I have also have bad chronic dermatititis. That is made worse by the dryness. However, it is easier to treat than pain from arthritis.

I have asthma and I think that the when it is dry--I have less problems.
However, again it varies with the individual.

I used to laugh about the old when I was young--the ability to feel the weather change--but now it is my turn, and my hands and ankles are good weather predictors.

So for me--I will take Colorado--not as hot as some areas but not as cold as others.

Livecontent

Old 01-28-2008, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 17,270 times
It's true for me too, Livecontent. I too have asthma, and when I moved back to the east coast I couldn't believe how much more it affected me. I grew up here and had problems ever since I was a little girl, and when I moved out west I noticed I was getting better. Doctors told me it was just because I was "growing" out of it, and that sometimes as you get older (although I am only 31 now) it gets better. I have a big problem with molds,as well some other things, and not only does it affect my breathing I also get alot of headaches. My husband has joint pain, and like you too the weather out here plays a big role. We moved back here 2 1/2 years ago and have nothing but problems.

Anyway, pittnurse70, I am not really sure what you are trying to say about the Re: houses that you posted. Obvioulsy the price is the price. I am not new to buying houses, I've owned 2. What I was trying to say is that I can look up houses on the internet all I want in my price range, and find ones that look decent. But, what they wont tell you is that it is right next to the pawn shop and accross from the dump. I was just curious if it was unrealistic to buy a house under $200,000 in a nice family friendly area?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Anyway, pittnurse70, I am not really sure what you are trying to say about the Re: houses that you posted. Obvioulsy the price is the price.
That is what I meant. It's true that you won't know if there's a pawn shop next door, or a brothel down the street, etc, by looking online. You will have to come out and look at them yourselves, drive through the neighborhoods. No one on CD can tell you anything about these houses either, in most cases. You have lived here before, you probably have an idea of areas you liked and didn't like. Sorry if my post came out a little wierd; I didn't know how else to say it.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:41 PM

14 posts, read 46,790 times
Default Westminster questions

Ive been looking at several places in OR and CO (which Im leaning towards)and one of them is Westminster.

My girl and I are both in our 30s and have DJ, Hotel,retail and Insurance (auto and heaklth) backgrounds between us. Wea re looking to start anew together . We want someplace quiet and yet close to "civilization" for shopping, enterainment etc. Are we close to mountains and outdoor beauty?

Is it expensive to live there and does it have 4 seasons (snow?) also does the job market suck?

Just a few concerns

Thanks friends

Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,192,690 times
We live in Broomfield which is right next to Westminster and we do most of our shopping and dining in Westminster. It's a gem. Affordable housing, gorgeous mountain views, close to great shopping, dining and entertainment, and there's a beautiful lake there with incredible views where you can go boating, swimming, waterskiing, fishing, camping, etc. called Standley Lake Regional Park. Here's a photoset of mine of Standley Lake:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tigerlily7007/sets/72157606586066180/detail/ (broken link)

Westminster has an entertainment complex called the Westminster Promenade - it has a very nice 24 screen cinema, a comedy club, a Dave and Busters, restaurants pubs and breweries, a bowling alley and an ice rink.

Here's a link you might find helpful: Attractions - City of Westminster, Colorado (http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/91.htm - broken link)

Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 PM

14 posts, read 46,790 times
Tao,
Thanks for the links! Much appreciated!
Still wondering though; will we get snow and do you know if the job market blows?

Thanks again and the pics in that link are wonderful!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,091,784 times
Don't know about jobs but, if you are in Colorado, you WILL get snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado