Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 PM

20 posts, read 39,558 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My Husband and I are in our early 20's, looking to begin our legend in Colorado (who wouldn't?). Despite the recession, we are determined to become independent and build our assets in a city that doesn't have an almost 10% unemployment rate (You don't want to know where).

We have our hearts and minds set on beautiful Colorado, but would like to know before taking the plunge, what city has the best opportunity for jobs that only require a High School diploma?

We are not picky. We are happy with minimum wage, in fact. Just as long as we can at least get more than 30 hours a week.

Thanks in advance! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerobot View Post
Hello everyone!

My Husband and I are in our early 20's, looking to begin our legend in Colorado (who wouldn't?). Despite the recession, we are determined to become independent and build our assets in a city that doesn't have an almost 10% unemployment rate (You don't want to know where).

We have our hearts and minds set on beautiful Colorado, but would like to know before taking the plunge, what city has the best opportunity for jobs that only require a High School diploma?

We are not picky. We are happy with minimum wage, in fact. Just as long as we can at least get more than 30 hours a week.

Thanks in advance! =)
You can really find entry-level, minimum wage jobs anywhere. The question you need to ask is 'where can we find affordable housing?' If minimum wage is your goal, the mountain towns are _out_. You're looking at somewhere on the Front Range or the Western Slope.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Minimum wage isn't the goal, I'm just saying we know we're not $100K + a year material. Yet. :P

We have actually been looking at Fort Collins. Ideally we will be renting as cheap of an apartment as possible or living with roommates. We're open to other cities if there is better job opportunity for us, though.

Also, good public transit would be nice. Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:34 AM

565 posts, read 1,849,079 times
Denver area - just because the amount of jobs available is the greatest.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,485,939 times
I would have to agree unless you are looking for industrial jobs then Pueblo....

Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Denver does seem nice! A bit bigger of a population than we would like, which is why we were looking at Fort Collins, but you gotta take what you can get, right? =)

Is there any 'Ghetto' areas of Denver we should look out for? Any really nice, ideal areas to live in?

Also, would anyone have any info on Fort Collins? I've searched the forums on it but have yet to figure out if entry level employment has fierce competition because of the college students. Do the college students make a significant amount of the population or is there non-students around, too?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:33 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,485,939 times
I went to CSU there and liked it, Fort Collins is a nice town but its more a yuppy city. Most of the families live in the south end which is nice but kind of a far drive to downtown thus most people do their shopping around Harmony and the mall. Depending on your price range that is the part of town I would look in.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:45 AM

To be honest we're kinda Yuppies ourselves. Just without the large salary (for the time being) and poor spending habits. Does that make since? Hehe.

Perhaps we'll fit in...

Old 02-22-2009, 09:46 AM

8,610 posts, read 14,921,149 times
Quote:
Denver does seem nice! A bit bigger of a population than we would like, which is why we were looking at Fort Collins, but you gotta take what you can get, right? =)

Is there any 'Ghetto' areas of Denver we should look out for? Any really nice, ideal areas to live in?

Also, would anyone have any info on Fort Collins? I've searched the forums on it but have yet to figure out if entry level employment has fierce competition because of the college students. Do the college students make a significant amount of the population or is there non-students around, too?
Fort Collins' population increases drastically during the school year. The city's population is around 135,000 and undergrad enrollment at CSU is around 27,000 so there is a lot of competition for jobs.

The newer areas of development are on the south and east side of town, but I prefer Fort Collins' older neighborhoods on the northwest side of town.

As far as ghetto areas of Denver, you bet. Montbello still has a terrible reputation and there are parts of Aurora I wouldn't walk alone in during broad daylight.

Oh and I must apologize for insinuating your goal was a minimum-wage job. What I should've said was "since you're willing to work for minimum wage" instead.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,496,737 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance! =)
First, you are in a very poor position to be looking for a job in Colorado in the current economic environment. Colorado has a generally well-educated population and competition for jobs these days is fierce. Even minimum-wage jobs may see numerous applicants with college degrees. Unless you have a specific trade, you will have great difficulty finding a job here. Second, the biggest employer of non-college educated people in Colorado has historically been the construction industry--it's on the ropes now, and likely to stay that way. Third, it is virtually impossible to live anywhere in this state on a minimum wage job--period. Colorado's "affordability index" (living costs compared to salaries) has been lousy forever, but it is getting worse now, as jobs and incomes are drying up faster than living costs (especially housing) are declining. Even pretty high-paid people have trouble "building their assets" in Colorado--many thought they did during the real estate bubble, but that little fantasy is bursting all around these days. Finally, Colorado's economy has had a well-deserved reputation for many decades of lagging the national economy by 12-18 months, both going into a recession and emerging from it. The fact that the Colorado economy seemingly looks better than many areas of the US right now is deceiving. We just haven't fallen off the cliff yet.

Colorado is a beautiful place, but it is a lousy place to be with a low-wage job or no job at all.

PS--In short order, we will looking at 10% unemployment with real nostalgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado