Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 03:58 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,701,285 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I did some searching through the Colorado forum and didn't see a thread where people noted their favorite places to spend time outdoors. I'll admit, I didn't do any super in-depth searching, but what I did find wasn't terribly specific. If I am incorrect, someone please let me know.

I've always been huge on Colorado's great outdoors, but there are so many places I've never been. Regardless of the location in Colorado, tell everyone your favorite day hike. Your favorite backpacking trip. Your favorite snowshoeing destination. Spill the beans.

One of my favorite areas is very convenient to Denver. I love exploring the area around the summit of Guanella Pass. I have hiked Mt. Bierstadt, Mt. Evans and Square Top Mountain from the pass - all are terrific day hikes and offer incredible views. I've also done a simple overnight backpack trip to Square Top Lakes in a cirque below Square Top's summit. Beautiful setting and decent fishing. Highly underrated and an easy hike for acclimated individuals. This is also an excellent snowshoeing area, although high winds compound the snow enough (or leaves large bare areas) that snowshoes are not always required.

One I have not yet done, but am planning on next spring is the Chicago Lakes Trail from Echo Lake. I hear it's long (estimates from 7½-8½ miles) and moderately strenuous, but affords beautiful views and excellent backpacking. I've hiked from the saddle of Summit Lake (on Mt. Evans Road) down to Upper Chicago Lake - a fairly simple climb down, but can be tricky getting back up due to some talus and scree. Anyone completed the Chicago Lakes Trail hike that can offer feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,321,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Okay, so I did some searching through the Colorado forum and didn't see a thread where people noted their favorite places to spend time outdoors. I'll admit, I didn't do any super in-depth searching, but what I did find wasn't terribly specific. If I am incorrect, someone please let me know.

I've always been huge on Colorado's great outdoors, but there are so many places I've never been. Regardless of the location in Colorado, tell everyone your favorite day hike. Your favorite backpacking trip. Your favorite snowshoeing destination. Spill the beans.

One of my favorite areas is very convenient to Denver. I love exploring the area around the summit of Guanella Pass. I have hiked Mt. Bierstadt, Mt. Evans and Square Top Mountain from the pass - all are terrific day hikes and offer incredible views. I've also done a simple overnight backpack trip to Square Top Lakes in a cirque below Square Top's summit. Beautiful setting and decent fishing. Highly underrated and an easy hike for acclimated individuals. This is also an excellent snowshoeing area, although high winds compound the snow enough (or leaves large bare areas) that snowshoes are not always required.

One I have not yet done, but am planning on next spring is the Chicago Lakes Trail from Echo Lake. I hear it's long (estimates from 7½-8½ miles) and moderately strenuous, but affords beautiful views and excellent backpacking. I've hiked from the saddle of Summit Lake (on Mt. Evans Road) down to Upper Chicago Lake - a fairly simple climb down, but can be tricky getting back up due to some talus and scree. Anyone completed the Chicago Lakes Trail hike that can offer feedback?
I've done a number of trails in that area. One of them starts from Echo Lake, climbs down to a dirt road, then follows that road for a little while past a few dams, and then goes back up. Incredible trail, highly recommended. Another one I've done nearby is called "Hell's Hole." The trail was so rough in parts I think the name was well deserved. If you want a really easy 14er to hike in one morning, try Mt Bierstadt, off Guenella Pass. I LOVE Mt Evans, everything around it, and the whole Mt Evans wilderness area. I think it's just as good as Rocky Mountain National Park.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:12 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times
Indian Peaks Wilderness is another close in area to explore. Quite a few thirteeners and twelvers to climb; many good long walks. Most obvious access from the Boulder side is from Brainard Lake or Hessie, Fourth of July Campground. It's also accessible from the Granby side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado