Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,161 times

Advertisements

Moving to a State where I will know no one I am looking to make sure I don't end up on the wrong side of town.... Iam coming from Naperville Illinois..and want to find that small town feeling but have the local coffee shop around the corner..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM

210 posts, read 1,344,965 times
It sounds like Golden is a good choice for you, then. It's a nice town that has a distinct identity from Denver, although it is essentially a suburb of Denver and is just a 5-minute drive from Colorado Mills Mall and all the shopping around there. It has a nice downtown and is a very safe town. I think you'd enjoy it.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:00 PM

90 posts, read 635,616 times
I loved Golden when we were there for my husband's job interview in January. Great small downtown area with the coolest "Five and Dime" gone beserk (can't explain it, just go and see) right across the corner from the Starbucks.

Unfortunately, all the houses in our price range aren't appealing to us. Lots of seventies architecture, dated, etc. But that's because we're coming from Texas where real estate is cheap. Illimois might make Colorado look like a bargain and you can find some great houses further up the price range.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 AM

18 posts, read 84,316 times
love golden moved here about 4 years ago and don't plan on leaving.
downtown is much better than it was (so i've been told) some small local shops, local coffee shops, restaurant/bars, clear creek runs right thru it, kayak park, bike trails, hiking trails and very easy access to mountains. it's kind of in a little valley hills on one side and mesas on the other. housing a bit pricey to buy but depends on the neighborhood. lots of different types of people. good place to be!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM

37 posts, read 113,744 times
I live in Highlands Ranch, but my husband and I seem to be running thru Golden a lot on our way to Boulder. It seems in talking to people, that they love living in Golden. Folks say that it has a small town feel, even though it is right outside of the city. It is pretty, and if you are outdoorsy you will like biking/hiking in the local state park. It is diverse, and if you are looking for the coffee shop around the corner, you will want to live in the little township area. There are also a few track housing developments, and homes right along the highway. I have never heard anyone complain about Golden, ever. So, go for it.

If you can afford it, consider Washington Park too... pricy but wonderful. There is also Old Littleton (possibly) and South Denver along Evans and a little East of Broadway.... pearl street. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:10 AM

15 posts, read 63,761 times
Hi Jodyrluv! Not sure if you're still checking your thread, but I currently live in Naperville, IL and am relocating to Colorado. Just curious if you made the move and if you wound up in Golden - that's where I'm thinking of going also.

Thanks for your input!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I lived in Golden years back. If you have to live anywhere near Denver, Golden is a nice choice. There are two big caveats. First, Golden's incorporated area now includes a lot more than the "core" town of Golden. The areas of town east of the core (Pleasant View, etc.) are just your typical suburbia and doesn't feel like a small town. The original part of Golden (between the foothills and North and South Table Mountains) feels much more like a small town. Second, very soon the next segment of Highway C-470 will be built more or less right through the west side of Golden. It should never be built there, but it will be--another case of "progress" running roughshod over a community. We seem determined to turn every decent town in America into a highway-ridden sprawled blob--and they all wind up looking the same.

By the way, Foss Drug, an institution in Golden (I knew the late Mr. Foss personally years back), is closing. Another local retail establishment killed off by the big boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado