Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 24,985 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I grew up in Chicago suburbs and I miss the people and the way the land felt back there but I could not go back and live with all those mosquitos.

I have lived in California for 25 years and never really felt at home here. So we are considering a move from northern California to possibly somewhere near Denver or Fort Collins. I think we would love Boulder but it is much too expensive.

We would like to live in an area that is progressive, has a good art community, and where there are jobs that pay decent wages and where people are educated and there is some interest in personal and spiritual growth. Alternative health care is also important.

We were interested in areas outside of Denver but when I looked at the crime statistics I very surprised and concerned because they were Very High, higher than San Francisco, A much larger city!! What is that about?

So we were hoping for some input on people's experience with crime in or near Denver.
Also any input on any areas north of Denver would be much appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.
Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2006, 01:13 AM

49 posts, read 306,036 times
Dear Nancy,

The only actual “safe” communities north of Denver/ in Colorado, are in the many existing “rural” communities, and which offer nothing else you’re seeking in a future hometown. Most every community of substance in Colorado has been growing by leaps and bounds over the past decade, and which has negatively changed the atmosphere/the personality of all.

I’ve never lived in Denver, but being a native of northern Colorado, I can tell you that the city of Fort Collins is the only community in this section of the state, which would best suit all your needs/requirements, and in my judgment, quite adequately.

Fort Collins is also a very clean-appearing, and scenic, city. It is located upon the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and which, readily, also offers the availability of existing outdoor recreation. It is common knowledge to most residents in this part of Colorado, that what can’t be attained in any other community here, usually can be in Fort Collins.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:24 AM

111 posts, read 576,333 times
Default what's the weather like in fort collins

Are the winter's very cold and snowy? Do residents need a snowblower, and are there power outages requiring backups like a wood burning stove? Is driving difficult? Do you think a single woman with a child would fit in socially in fort collins? (thinking of relocating from new york city). thanks!

Old 05-29-2006, 12:30 AM

Default The low-down about "weather" in Ft. Collins

I am a native to northeastern Colorado, (the region of the state which Ft. Collins is in), and lived there, consistently, for 49 years. .Weather in Colorado/the Ft. Collins region has always been infamously-known to be that of diverse and dramatically changeable, and on or within, any given day of the year. (Example: During the months of early Spring, it has been sunny and 65, reaching 85 degrees, all morning long, then at some point during the early afternoon, a cold-front/a different weather pattern would rapidly moving in, and make the previously high temperature rapidly and dramatically drop, and as much as 15 to 40 degrees lower, (this drastic temperature decreasing sometimes occurred within an hour’s time, also). Such countless-occurring weather changes during these times even produced, crippling, blizzards/blizzard-like conditions, and yet the following morning’s weather’s offered warmth and sunshine, and usually would have any/all existing snow melted by 10 A.M.

Using the past decade for my weather-reference, and stating now, what is, (approximately), “typical” / “normal” for Fort Collins;

The wintry weather, and or snowy-season, occurs during the months of October through March.

Average/Normal daytime temperatures during these months have ranged between +18 to +62 degrees during daytime hours, with nighttime temperatures being anywhere from -10 degrees and or up to +32 degrees.

I’m not able to accurately state this decade’s past-received snowfall amounts, but can, somewhat, accurately say that during these specific months, it was typical/normal for some type of snowstorm/snowfall, to occur during any given 4-6 week time period, (periodical light dustings throughout the time of each month, and or, and at least, one, (if not two, during certain months), usually short-lived, but sometimes crippling, blizzard(s), and which would, usually, resulted in an accumulation of 3 to 12 inches of snow on the ground.

Although what’s next is not considered “typical” nor “normal” for the same, above mentioned, weather season. it is not at all uncommon in Fort Collins for the first snowfall after Summer, to occur as early as the second week in September, (in the early Fall). Nor is it unusual for the last snowfall before Summer begins, to happen in the latter part of April, and or in the early part, and even middle, of May. It also is quite common for this area of Colorado to receive over 12 inches of snow, and which has happened during one day’s storm, and or during several days’ of storming.

Also, there have been a few years within this decade when Ft. Collins has had no, (or, none to speak of), snowfall during these months at all, but did experience, very harsh, and bitterly cold temperatures, and which lingered, consistently, for a little over a 3-week period. (The last year this occurred in this area, throughout these weeks‘, each 24-hour period consisted of below zero temperatures. Daytime highs never exceeded -0 degrees, and nighttime temperatures were recorded to be from -2 to -33 degrees).

Spring-like weather, (warm/pleasant during the day, usually an occassional rain instead of snow, still cold at night), typically/normally begins in the month of March, with summer-like weather conditions beginning to exist more so/more frequently by the middle of April.

Summer-like weather, although starting to appear in April, usually isn’t experienced every day until the last of May, and or in early June. During the months that Spring officially draws to an end and Summer literally begins, Ft. Collins is accustom to brief and periodic bouts of bad weather, and which consist of thunder/lightening storms, rainfall which has been sparse and or heavy and hard at times, damaging hail storms, and as of present date, only being issued the occasional “warnings” of possible tornadoes.

As for the necessity of acquiring a snowblower when living in Ft. Collins;

For any given year in Fort Collins‘ future, all residents should be prepared in some way, (shovel/snowblower), to, sufficiently, be able to attend to the necessary chore of removing snow, (and which is also the city’s legal requirement of all residents). If you’re planning on buying real estate where removing snow would require a lot of work and too much time on your part, or if shoveling snow just isn’t an option for you, (for whatever reason), then “yes”, I definitely would suggest/recommend the purchasing of a snowblower for those snowy days in Ft. Co

Old 05-29-2006, 12:47 AM

Just throwing in something I left out of the above reply…….

In most all of the rural parts of northeastern Colorado, power outages are commonplace during snow/ice storms, and in these some of these rural areas, (the remote communities), electricity was not restored for an entire day, and even not so for up to three days, and 14 days.

However, in all my years, I never recall the city of Ft. Collins being without power for any substantial amount of time. I do know of only a few times in the past, when only certain parts of Ft. Collins lost power due to storms, but each time, it was only a matter of a few hours, or less, before it was fully restored.

In my opinion, I don’t feel buying a wood-burning stove is feasible nor necessary, to only have on hand for the possibility of any future, (and commonly-caused) , power outage which might take place within this city.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:42 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,353,711 times
Well said Munshine. To add my two cents, once in a while you see power outages in Colorado. However you usually only see them during the September or October snows. The reason for this is the trees still have their leaves and it is warmer so the snow is much heavier. Of course this helps because when the power does go out it will be 60 or 70 during the day making heating not really neccesary.

In my 20+ years on the front range the only times we ever had our power go out was from lightning, and it always came back on after about 30 minutes. The one storm I remember which caused power outages for a lot of the front range was a snow storm in september. The power box on the back of our house got partly ripped of the house but our power did not go off. The power company came by within a week to fix the problem Most of the power was back for the region within 3 days but it probably took 2 weeks to restore power to every individual house.

I wouldn't worry aboutt getting a wood-burning stove or generator unless you are in a very rural area. In the case of wide spread outages there will be places where you can go but as you can see this would be a very rare occurance.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:20 PM

16 posts, read 151,797 times
I just wanted to say that I just moved from Highlands Ranch (I live in St. George, UT now), just south of Denver about 10-15 minutes. I really loved this area a lot. The people, the stuff to do, the shopping, the short ride into the city. I always felt safe in HR. I didn't care much for the weather though. It would be sunny one minute and be windy and cloudy the next, but that's what CO is known for. I came from MN, so CO was a welcome change as far as winter goes. I would look more south than north of CO, but that's just me. Even if it snows one day less... I'll take it! Also, Castle Rock is a community that is really up and coming. It is just south of Highlands Ranch. They are both about 50 miles (give or take) from Colorado Springs. Best of Luck to you!

Old 07-14-2006, 03:30 AM

6 posts, read 24,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munshine
I am a native to northeastern Colorado, (the region of the state which Ft. Collins is in), and lived there, consistently, for 49 years.
I just want to thank Munshine for such a details description of the weather.

Shakina

Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 PM

You're welcome, Shakina!

Old 07-22-2006, 03:50 AM

17 posts, read 29,785 times
Buena Vista, where I curent;y live, is very safe. Almost no violent crime and minimal other crimes. Just don't expect the cops to do anything if you need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado