Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 AM

15 posts, read 94,120 times

Advertisements

We (couple w/ 5 yr old) have a tentative agreement to rent a place near downtown Frisco for the next 2 months with the thought that we will find a place to buy and stay here at least the next 13 years.

I am familar with the high elevation (one of the reasons we are doing a two month trial), long winters (skier), housing prices and lack of good paying local jobs (work from home) but wanted any other info that might be helpful. Specifically, does anyone know anything about:
"transfer" tax in Frisco (and if it applies to purchase of primary residence)
good place to buy a car
activities for kids
must dos
avoids

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,489 times
Check out the local paper: SummitDaily.com | Covering Breckenridge, Keystone, Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne, Copper | Colorado

Kids activities: kids fair every now and then, sports/rec classes at the rec centers, library, kid's museum in Breck, lots of parks, and of course, tons of outdoor activities.

Must-dos and avoids relating to what?

Old 07-15-2008, 01:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,988,105 times
Wink Next two months?

Myself a little puzzled how living in Frisco, CO the next two months (August/September?) will in any way inform you of winter conditions? Well, relatively long and cold, but with lots of sun. If a skier or otherwise liking the great outdoors you may well love it.

Aside from the expense, Frisco would in many respects be a lovely place to live. A beautiful setting with ready access to most anything you might want. Some may think the downtown is too gentrified, others simply charming.

Couldn't really say about 'transfer taxes' or auto purchase. The 'Summit Daily News' always has quite a few autos listed for sale. Not to mention you have the much larger market of Denver, CO and the Front Range nearby to choose from. A good front wheel car should do you fine, although if 'driveway' issues, etc. you might want to elect for a 4x4. You'll see a lot of Subaru wagons present.

One thing about Frisco is its proximity to I-70. Very convenient at times but if noise happens to be an issue with you be aware that your exact location in town will have a direct baring on this. Generally speaking the closer to I-70 the more you are likely to hear it. Some otherwise perfectly fine neighborhoods might be off your list for this reason alone. Or not.

But generally it seems a very livable place, if one can afford it. Your family might really like it and Summit County in general. But summer will only give you the faintest taste of the winter to come.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,084,207 times
Go for it!! Lucky lucky you!!
You'll be fine and, I think, what a good time to rent short term then, buy when the market is in your favor!
That's what I would do if I didn't already own a home here in Canon City (which I LOVE and, couldn't afford anywhere else!!) Seriously!

I DO know there are some who really don't like resort type areas, I understand that but, I like them, I would love to live there but, I am, alas, a "split" type personality. I LOVE my small town homey town but, love and visit resort areas!
I like to be "left alone",..somewhat...then, like to be in the middle of all the action...and love the beauty of both!!
I also like "my cake and eat it too"! LOL!

I do love the Dillon and Frisco area,....always have! My cousin is a firefighter in Dillon! Love the lake, the lifestyle, the people and the views!
I'm probably one of the "few" who enjoys ALL of the towns and views along I70! It was and is, my entrance into the beautiful mountains I love soo much.

I envy you and your family....I can't imagine you all not loving it there!
WELCOME!!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 PM

447 posts, read 1,607,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Go for it!! Lucky lucky you!!
You'll be fine and, I think, what a good time to rent short term then, buy when the market is in your favor!
That's what I would do if I didn't already own a home here in Canon City (which I LOVE and, couldn't afford anywhere else!!) Seriously!

I DO know there are some who really don't like resort type areas, I understand that but, I like them, I would love to live there but, I am, alas, a "split" type personality. I LOVE my small town homey town but, love and visit resort areas!
I like to be "left alone",..somewhat...then, like to be in the middle of all the action...and love the beauty of both!!
I also like "my cake and eat it too"! LOL!

I do love the Dillon and Frisco area,....always have! My cousin is a firefighter in Dillon! Love the lake, the lifestyle, the people and the views!
I'm probably one of the "few" who enjoys ALL of the towns and views along I70! It was and is, my entrance into the beautiful mountains I love soo much.

I envy you and your family....I can't imagine you all not loving it there!
WELCOME!!
Really, your cousin is a firefighter there, not to thread-jack but,......I am moving to Dillon/Frisco in 2 weeks, my partner will be moving there in Sept. He is a paramedic/firefighter, do you know how the market is for those jobs in that area?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:45 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,084,207 times
Hi, just got back after a break.
I don't know how the jobs are in that area. He had taken FF stuff while he was in HS in COS. He did say he gets a little bored!HA! I take that as a good thing!
If you have been watching the news lately, there is an "issue" surrounding the closing of Dillon road around the lake. Not good for FF and emergency vehicles. I guess they closed it because it could become a good place for terrorist threats. It does provide water for 1 million people.

I have no idea how this would affect the OP's outdoor activities there?
That IS the most beautiful place for water sports.
They are trying to get it reopened, the Fire Dept. as well as other emergency places are "none too happy about it".

I think living there is ideal!!!!!! I love it there!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
I have no idea how this would affect the OP's outdoor activities there?
Boating is still allowed on the reservoir. Frisco and Dillon Marinas are still operational. The bike path that runs along the dam is also open. The only restriction on outdoor activities due to the closing is the inaccessibility of the campgrounds (Heaton Bay) and parking areas along the Dam Road.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:14 PM

15 posts, read 94,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Myself a little puzzled how living in Frisco, CO the next two months (August/September?) will in any way inform you of winter conditions? Well, relatively long and cold, but with lots of sun. If a skier or otherwise liking the great outdoors you may well love it.

Aside from the expense, Frisco would in many respects be a lovely place to live. A beautiful setting with ready access to most anything you might want. Some may think the downtown is too gentrified, others simply charming.

Couldn't really say about 'transfer taxes' or auto purchase. The 'Summit Daily News' always has quite a few autos listed for sale. Not to mention you have the much larger market of Denver, CO and the Front Range nearby to choose from. A good front wheel car should do you fine, although if 'driveway' issues, etc. you might want to elect for a 4x4. You'll see a lot of Subaru wagons present.

One thing about Frisco is its proximity to I-70. Very convenient at times but if noise happens to be an issue with you be aware that your exact location in town will have a direct baring on this. Generally speaking the closer to I-70 the more you are likely to hear it. Some otherwise perfectly fine neighborhoods might be off your list for this reason alone. Or not.

But generally it seems a very livable place, if one can afford it. Your family might really like it and Summit County in general. But summer will only give you the faintest taste of the winter to come.
You are right that living here for two months in the summer will not give us an idea of the winter weather, but at least we will get to see if the altitude affects us negatively (not so far), what the local people are like, etc. I am a skier, so while I would prefer the situation I had last year (living at 2800 feet with a funicular train to the base of the ski area), I don't imagine I will mind seeing it snow outside my window.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Boating is still allowed on the reservoir. Frisco and Dillon Marinas are still operational. The bike path that runs along the dam is also open. The only restriction on outdoor activities due to the closing is the inaccessibility of the campgrounds (Heaton Bay) and parking areas along the Dam Road.
From the west (Frisco-side), the Dam Road is closed only right at the dam, just beyond the big bend with the big gravel parking area. So you can still access the campgrounds.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM

447 posts, read 1,607,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
From the west (Frisco-side), the Dam Road is closed only right at the dam, just beyond the big bend with the big gravel parking area. So you can still access the campgrounds.
But, I saw in the Daily that there is hope that it is going to re-open

also, Fuzz......I absolutely can't find a place in Silverthorne.......my kitty is the problem......argggggg ........Summit county sucks as being pet friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado