Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:57 AM

10 posts, read 10,811 times

Advertisements

What kind of work are you looking for? I disagree with what someone told you about it being too early to find work in November. If you have enough money to live leisurely for a while and do not need to work until the 1st of the year (08) it may not be a bad idea to look when you get here. Do you have a specific place in Colorado that you will be living? What do you do for a living? If you know any of this I can maybe help you with what is good and bad in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,833 times
Default debating moving to Denver

I was born and raised in north florida, and am now in college in Orlando. I will be graduating in December and really want to move to Denver. I have never been to Denver more than the airport but i have been to Aspen and Beaver Creek and loved Colorado. I know Denver is different than these cities but I just want to move somewhere that actually has seasons and isnt 110 degrees in the summer. I currently work in the hospitality industry in a hotel and am looking to transfer out to the Loews hotel in Denver. I am just looking for some information about the city, and I'm sure some people will think im crazy since i have been to Aspen and now want to move to Denver. I realize they are much different though. I am a 22 year old male, looking to live somewhere close to downtown/the hotel. I have a 110 lb lab so a house would be my best bet but i am also open to condos, lofts, apts...what are some areas that are safe and fairly close to downtown. i am going to be renting and looking to spend a maximum of about $800 a month for now. I am also a huge sports fan so this is one thing that attracted me to denver. Also if anyone else is my age and has made a move like this on their own please let me know any tips/thoughts you have about the move. I really don't know anyone out there so this will defiantly be a different experience for me. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:36 PM

52 posts, read 235,010 times
smitty I would suggest doing a search as all these questions and more have been answered in other threads.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM

2,888 posts, read 7,153,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Live View Post
smitty I would suggest doing a search as all these questions and more have been answered in other threads.
Great suggestion, NE Live.

There's also a thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...s-updated.html
that Mike from Back East created that lists many threads that talk about these questions, so you can get started.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:05 PM

12 posts, read 132,705 times
Wow were those first 2 posts helpful or what? Do some research online, find a place to stay, find a job, and MOVE!! I just moved to Lakewood from Georgia abou 10 days ago. Literally I dropped what I was doing and, moved to Colorado with a buddy(i did not even have a job lined up). Colorado kicks a** man, you will not regret moving here. Lazy, weak, fearful people want you to be like them, dont listen to the BS about jobs being hard to find, or housing being hard to find.(finding a cheap home to rent is harder than in the south though.) Save some starting out money and you will be fine bottom line.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,945,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty7 View Post
.... a house would be my best bet but i am also open to condos, lofts, apts...what are some areas that are safe and fairly close to downtown. ....

.....i am going to be renting and looking to spend a maximum of about $800 a month for now.
Is this realistic? Near the city center (typically more expensive than outlying areas???) with a home big enough to support a huge dog for $800/month?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 73,461 times
do it man!! i just moved here two weeks ago and love it. i moved from charleston sc with no job..after only two weeks my girlfriend has a job and im on a 2nd interview...also, there is tons of housing, i would recommend craigs list ,,,look for capital hill, cheesman park area...i walk everywhere including downtown , love the city!!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:47 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is this realistic? Near the city center (typically more expensive than outlying areas???) with a home big enough to support a huge dog for $800/month?
No, it is not realistic, in my experience. You may have trouble finding an apt that will allow that large of a dog. I'd check craigslist for house rentals, but you should expect to pay more than $800/mo for a house, pretty much anywhere in the metro area.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 AM

676 posts, read 2,801,873 times
Yes most homes in the areas around downtown that are rentals are probably going to start around 1200-1400 for a small home that probably isn't the best enviroment for a big dog..

Old 03-21-2008, 01:34 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,999,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Yes most homes in the areas around downtown that are rentals are probably going to start around 1200-1400 for a small home that probably isn't the best enviroment for a big dog..
Actually there are some decent size back yards in Central Denver that would be fine for big dogs. However, no way you'll get it for $800/month, sadly. You could easily get a nice apartment in Capitol Hill for $800, but that might not be the best environment for a big dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado