Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM

13 posts, read 14,722 times

Advertisements

Hi - I realize there is a subforum for retirement; however, I figured I'd pose my questions here in order to gain the insight of those most familiar with Colorado.

My wife and I are 52 and in two years, when ours kids are out of the home, we want to move to the area which will eventually be our retirement spot, or one of the spots if we snowbird. And although we can live pretty much anywhere in the US due to our professions not requiring us to need to actually have to go into work in order to do our work, Colorado has always had a lure to us. And sure enough our research suggests it would be an ideal location, with a number of well regarded hospitals and high percentage of doctors per resident, low climate change risk, strong GDP growth forecasted, not bright blue or bright red in terms of politics, and a high ranking in terms of wellness, on top of all its natural beauty.

Unfortunately, the places that rank highest on lists we've seen for retirement locations, namely Montrose, Durango, and Grand Junction, are hours away from a hospital that is listed among the top 400 nationwide. As such, we've been focusing on areas in and around where the top hospitals are supposedly located, like Aurora, Parker, Fort Collins, Lone Tree, Denver, Lafayette, Loveland, and Colorado Springs. Places within an hour drive of one or more of those locations which rank high on lists of retirement communities include Estes Park, Evergreen, Federal Heights, Holly Hills, Monument, Littleton, and Golden.

Ultimately our goal is to come for an extended stay so as to "test drive" most if not all of these locations; however, I thought I'd see what folks here had to say about places well suited to younger retirees like us. In our cases, priorities are access to medical care, natural beauty, walkability, proximity to nice shopping and restaurants, and low crime. Affordability is not a limiting factor - that is, we wouldn't be priced out of pretty much any location.

Sorry for the long post, but any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 02:29 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Phoenix or Denver will set you up for both the snowbird scene and excellent hospitals.

Denver's various transit systems may appeal to yo as well.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Phoenix or Denver will set you up for both the snowbird scene and excellent hospitals.

Denver's various transit systems may appeal to yo as well.
Thanks, but we want to avoid being located in an big city. Close by would be a plus, but not actually in one.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:44 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
What is your housing budget?
Purchase or rental.

Old 05-09-2022, 05:04 AM

As far as budget, let's just say it's unlikely we'd be priced out of anywhere, but we don't necessarily have to pick the most expensive place either. Probably purchase.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:34 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
You might look at Canon City, Florence, Penrose, Woodland Park, Cascade, Green Mountain Falls, Divide, Elbert, Fountain, Boone, Avondale, Palmer Lake just to toss a few names out for you.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:39 AM

265 posts, read 150,674 times
Along I25, anything from the Air Force Academy north to Castle Rock will get you everything but walkability. Parker looks to have a walkable downtown area but zero natural beauty. That assessment is limited to passing through on my way to DIA.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:18 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
If the prime candidates to you are "Estes Park, Evergreen, Federal Heights, Holly Hills, Monument, Littleton, and Golden.", here is some feedback.

Estes Park. Walkability? From your house or where you park after going to downtown? Check or time the drive down to Loveland in winter and tourist season. How often would you want and be willing to make it? Relative isolation would be a negative for many. How much do you like winter? Not that bad in town but would you actually do much beyond town in the snow?

Evergreen, pretty good choice. Shopping and restaurants? How much do you need? How "nice" is nice enough? Suburban nice enough? Willing to drive down to Denver how often? Again walkability from your house depends on exactly where the house is or where you park and how much you are willing to walk (a few blocks or way more?)

Federal Heights, I'd probably pass.

Holly Hills, I don't know but check it out.

Monument, if you want quiet and snow and willing to drive into Colorado Springs for almost everything.

Littleton, could work.

Golden. How much do you love it? If you love it, great. If you want to go into Denver a lot, there is driving or the train... or live closer in.

Fort Collins is definitely worth a look. Loveland and Lafayette sure. Lone Tree and Parker maybe.

Natural beauty? Depends on your approach. Great vistas from the house are maybe harder to get than expected. Are you a fan of green and negative about "brown" and the many shades of it? Colorado and the front range isn't for everybody where they live. Natural beauty near or fairly near by as good as any mountain area.

There are plenty of past threads about most of the bigger places you mentioned to read to gather intel. It isn't likely that much or all of it will be repeated. Highlight specific top targets and top questions to try to get new answers.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-09-2022 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-09-2022, 09:53 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusVanDam View Post
Hi - I realize there is a subforum for retirement; however, I figured I'd pose my questions here in order to gain the insight of those most familiar with Colorado.

My wife and I are 52 and in two years, when ours kids are out of the home, we want to move to the area which will eventually be our retirement spot, or one of the spots if we snowbird. And although we can live pretty much anywhere in the US due to our professions not requiring us to need to actually have to go into work in order to do our work, Colorado has always had a lure to us. And sure enough our research suggests it would be an ideal location, with a number of well regarded hospitals and high percentage of doctors per resident, low climate change risk, strong GDP growth forecasted, not bright blue or bright red in terms of politics, and a high ranking in terms of wellness, on top of all its natural beauty.

Unfortunately, the places that rank highest on lists we've seen for retirement locations, namely Montrose, Durango, and Grand Junction, are hours away from a hospital that is listed among the top 400 nationwide. As such, we've been focusing on areas in and around where the top hospitals are supposedly located, like Aurora, Parker, Fort Collins, Lone Tree, Denver, Lafayette, Loveland, and Colorado Springs. Places within an hour drive of one or more of those locations which rank high on lists of retirement communities include Estes Park, Evergreen, Federal Heights, Holly Hills, Monument, Littleton, and Golden.

Ultimately our goal is to come for an extended stay so as to "test drive" most if not all of these locations; however, I thought I'd see what folks here had to say about places well suited to younger retirees like us. In our cases, priorities are access to medical care, natural beauty, walkability, proximity to nice shopping and restaurants, and low crime. Affordability is not a limiting factor - that is, we wouldn't be priced out of pretty much any location.

Sorry for the long post, but any insight would be appreciated.
St Mary’s in Grand Junction ranks as a top 10 hospital in a number of categories even top 5. They are one of the largest employers in the county. My wife had surgery there and we had a great experience. One of the reasons we chose GJ was the medical care. Our family doctor, dentist and eye doctor here have actually been better than what we experienced in Denver. Our dentist even makes crowns 3D printed from porcelain while you wait in the chair. In Denver it took two weeks and you had to wear a temporary.
We have been pleasantly surprised with medical care here. We also retired relatively young in our 50’s. The Grand Valley is very vibrant helped by it being a college town. We just shot down to Ouray for lunch over the weekend. Access to other, more remote areas of Colorado is easier here than from Denver. Telluride, Moab, Crested Butte are all within easy reach. Palisade is also Colorado’s wine region with fun wineries that offer music and food.
The valley has a reputation as an old oil patch town, but that is quickly changing. It’s a fun place to live.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:16 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
Along I25, anything from the Air Force Academy north to Castle Rock will get you everything but walkability. Parker looks to have a walkable downtown area but zero natural beauty. That assessment is limited to passing through on my way to DIA.
The terrain in Parker isn't that bad. The southern and eastern sides of town have some elevation and trees. It wouldn't be my first choice, though. DougCo (specifically Parker and Castle Rock) are becoming the right-wing equivalent of what Boulder used to be. Instead of burned out hippies, Trustafarians, and Limousine Liberals it's Big Lie and QAnon conspiracy theory nuts and Y'all Qaeda paramilitary larpers.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-09-2022 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado