Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 10:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Ain't that the truth!
True, but as the spouse of someone who tends to hurry major decisions, I would advise the OP to NOT RUSH the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 03:04 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,007,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
True, but as the spouse of someone who tends to hurry major decisions, I would advise the OP to NOT RUSH the search.
BALANCE is the key!

Old 02-04-2021, 08:24 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBabula View Post
like Canon City.
Cañon City.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:41 PM

111 posts, read 132,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Cañon City.
How'd you insert the tilde?

Old 02-05-2021, 07:31 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,197,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBabula View Post
How'd you insert the tilde?

https://www.lifewire.com/typing-char...-marks-1074113

Old 02-05-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Awesome - thanks! Now I can spell Cañon City correctly!

Old 02-06-2021, 07:11 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,255,376 times
Last summer we did a trip to SW Colorado looking for our retirement spot. We looked at Durango, Ridgway and around Delores. We ended up hopefully picking Ridgway out of the three, hopefully move from Park County to Ridgway early this summer. My criteria was likely similar but being close to a nice lake was high on the list and since Ive gone through wild fire seasons in Park County, finding a place where the odds of wild fire is less was important. My summary..

We like Durango but its just a little too busy and a lot of the places that were appealing are in forested areas. Pretty.. but remember that Im shying away from wild fire risk areas. Nice lake near Durango. Fairly short drive to Purgatory if your healthy enough for skiing. I like living close enough to visit... but not sure its the perfect place for us to live full time.

Another spot I really liked was Delores or between Delores and Cortez like around P street. Real estate is less expensive than Durango or Ridgway and you can get some acres if you wish. Moderate wild fire risk. Nice views looking towards Cortez and Mesa Verde NP. Mcphee res is nice but you end up driving a bunch of miles to get to the boat launch. Cortez is large enough for all sorts of shopping and health related visits and close by

But.. we settled on Ridgway. There are less trees in the area as long as you dont go up in elevation (like to Log Hill) I think less wild fire risk. I believe there is also a history of less wild fire in this area. Its a very small town but with a fair amount of restaurants (no fast food), small grocery and hardware stores, etc. About five miles North of town is Ridgway res which is not huge but I think it will be big enough and interesting (I have a Hobie TI sailing kayak and SUP that I plan to use there). Nice bike path between town and the res. We just are getting electric bikes and hope to use them for almost all of our summer visits to town via the bike path. Just great mountain views any way you look. Only 10 miles to Ouray with another set of attractions. Or a little further to Silverton, Durango, Telluride.

Ridgway is 7000 ft el so is going to be on the colder compared to Durango in the winter. But nice in the summer. We will be bicycling distance to the town of Ridgway. However.. would need to drive about 25 to 30 miles to Montrose for any larger shopping or medical visit trips. We had to live like this last summer in Park county driving about the same distance to a grocery store and I just did not mind it much.. made a nice retirement outing once or even twice a week. Its a two lane road with no mountain passes. A friend does not like to drive between Ridgway and Montrose at night because of too many on coming car headlights.

Since I dont want Ridgway to change much, I probably wont mention it much again.

And.. we will have a nice neighbor (Brightdoglover)!!!

Old 02-06-2021, 07:44 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
[quote=waltcolorado;60345592...

Since I dont want Ridgway to change much, I probably wont mention it much again.

And.. we will have a nice neighbor (Brightdoglover)!!![/QUOTE]

Hearty congratulations on your choice and decision of Ridgway as your new place!

I have a Hobie Mirage inflatable kayak (pedals) that I've yet to use. Maybe we'll get out there together in warm weather.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:12 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,255,376 times
The Hobie Kayaks with the pedals work great! That little arm that goes up to the marina sounds cool to peddle to. I think the res will be fun and its a beautiful spot. Both Ridgway res and Macphee fluctuate a lot level wise each year especially during a drought but.. still awesome! I got used to Elevenmile which hardly varies in level year around.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
(I have a Hobie TI sailing kayak and SUP that I plan to use there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have a Hobie Mirage inflatable kayak (pedals) that I've yet to use. Maybe we'll get out there together in warm weather.
Both of you have interesting kayaks! Both look like fun! We're just beginner kayakers, but already love it. We just bought our first kayaks in May 2020 (two Dagger Zydeco 11.0), and bought two cheapies for our daughters to use if we're all together.

We're definitely the "lazy river" or lake kayaking type - no big waves or white water for us! Good to know there are options around Ridgway to go kayaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado