Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 06:57 AM

1,002 posts, read 918,814 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've only visited Colorado once, and have spent some time looking at maps. My knowledge is pretty limited.

The long-short of it is that my girlfriend has a chronic illness which is made significantly worse by heat and humidity, especially the latter. I understand most of Colorado is very dry, and altitude helps with temperature. From what I can tell though, there are no major population centers or places where I might reasonably find a job, where it doesn't frequently get into the 90's - people don't seem to live where summers are cooler. I can probably reasonably find work either in IT, or something entry-level geology related.

-Grand Junction looks far too hot.

-Durango's climate looks perfect for her, but with a population of less than 20k and no major metros nearby, I don't know if I'd be able to find anything.

-Mostof the front range cities are borderline too warm, at ~5-8 degrees warmer on average in the summers than Durango. However, if we could live a little bit up into the mountains and commute down to one of the cities (e.g. Colorado Springs, Denver, Fort Collins), I think it could be doable. I just don't know how to find those places on my own.

Let's cap the commute at around an hour. If I can find work closer to the mountains or work mostly from home, great, but I'd like to zero in on a few communities with access first.

Looking at property values, it appears most of the communities directly west and southwest of Denver are prohibitively expensive, but that I might have more luck closer to Colorado Springs or Fort Collins. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 07:40 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
What is “prohibitively expensive” to you? Evergreen is great. There are also areas in unincorporated Jefferson County with Morrison mailing addresses that are less expensive.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:42 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,988 times
In the locations with cooler summers, you'll get a lot more snow in the winters. It's a trade off.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:46 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
https://www.vantiv.com/about/careers

They are the biggest IT related employer in Durango.

Some geology jobs with energy companies (in Durango, Cortez, Farmington) and a few with government agencies.

Farmington is more than an hour commute from Durango unless you live in southern La Plata County.

The mountains above Durango (including area around Vallecito) are 5-10 degrees cooler generally. Highs and lows.

La Plata County has 55,000 people and headed higher. Throw in adjacent CO counties and trade area is near 100,000. Include Farmington NM trade area and there are about 250,000 within 100 mile radius. That isn't a lot compared to most areas but it is more than appears for Durango by itself.

You might look at living west of CS toward Woodland Park or maybe Conifer west of Denver. To reduce 90 degree days get over 7,000 feet elevation.

Summit County probably has some IT related jobs (reservation systems, real estate databases, local government, financial sector, health care, schools, utilities, etc.)

Salt Lake City metro and out as far as Logan & Provo UT might be an alternative for some. Or maybe Los Alamos NM. Flagstaff AZ if she doesn't leave town in the summer.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-04-2018 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-04-2018, 08:58 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,327,431 times
So you're a geologist.

How about Leadville? It's cool year round at an altitude of 10,152 feet. Highs there this week will be in the low 70s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville,_Colorado

Old 07-04-2018, 09:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,393,460 times
Jobs is the thing, where gives you access to those. Does your GF have to work too?

In the Colo Spgs area we have the Tri-lakes area north of the city; Monument/Woodmoor/Palmer and west of the city is Woodland Park. Both areas are both higher in elevation and tend to be somewhat cooler in temps.

Cripple Creek with work at the Newmont mine may or may not be an option as well.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:34 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
https://www.vantiv.com/about/careers

They are the biggest IT related employer in Durango.
I interviewed with Mercury right around the time Vantiv bought them. I'm sure maintaining a presence in Durango was part of the takeover agreement, but with multiple offices in Denver I have my doubts about how much longer that office will be around.

OP - Houses in the foothills will tend to be very expensive and/or a long (and sometimes difficult) commute into Denver or the Springs.

If you're a developer, I'd try to snag a WFH position that'll allow you to go anywhere. That'll open up your possibilities, but it also increases your risk should you lose your job.

I don't know how humid they are, but have you considered Coeur d'Alene, ID, or Spokane, WA?

Old 07-04-2018, 10:02 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
CDA, fairly humid. Spokane, might be called moderate relative to places that are the national highs & lows. Pretty dry for that region.

I guess Vantiv is now WorldPay. There is indeed risk of consolidation / relocation for those jobs.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:55 PM

37 posts, read 60,000 times
Missoula, Montana

Old 07-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I 2nd Missoula, or Columbia Falls, MT.

Near CO... consider a Gov job or contractor at Los Alamos National labs, (NM)

In CO... NREL in Golden, and live west., or above Boulder (plenty of great gov IT contractor jobs there too). Ft Collins will likely be warm for GF, bit you could live at Red Feather Lakes and get a cush job at CSU.

Add AK, and Western WA (National Labs at Sequim, WA), while wet... humidity is not sweltering. (Sequim is in Pacific Rain Shadow)

Additional National Labs in ID. (Hint: US National Labs are often in nice regions and the job assignments and coworkers can make a very pleasant career.). Retirees / Quality of life is a treasure in National Lab cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado