Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM

137 posts, read 424,359 times

Advertisements

Liquor stores likely to open on Sundays after July 1

Comments 39 | Recommend 8
By Michael Davidson
March 17, 2008 - 7:47PM
THE GAZETTE
DENVER - The House this morning gave final approval to a bill that would allow Sunday liquor sales to begin July 1.
The bill has a couple of more steps before it lands on the desk of Gov. Bill Ritter, who is expected to sign it.

Last edited by suzco; 03-19-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation. Quote one or two sentences, and post the link.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,467 times
This is so dumb. What's ironic is that the liquour stores DIDN'T WANT to be open on Sundays. But the know-it-alls at the capitol, once more, shove their agenda down the throats of Coloradans. Jennifer Veiga, who also sponsored a bill which would effectively undermine Colorado's no-vote on Ref. I, is clearly out to stick it to the fundies instead of doing something very novel: govern. I mean...hey...why pass middle class tax relief, pro-growth measures, and private property protection when you can stick it to Dobson, right?

Good work, Colorado!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Anything that annoys the blue law people is OK with me.

"A blue law, in the United States and Canada, is a type of law designed to enforce moral standards, particularly the observance of Sunday as a day of worship..."

from

Blue law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
This is so dumb. What's ironic is that the liquour stores DIDN'T WANT to be open on Sundays. But the know-it-alls at the capitol, once more, shove their agenda down the throats of Coloradans.
Good work, Colorado!
Well...doesn't the change mean they can be open on Sunday? Nobody is forcing them to do so. I think once the sound of ringing registers fill the air those who don't open might change their tune a bit.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM

355 posts, read 1,403,984 times
niceeeeeeeeee

Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
Well...doesn't the change mean they can be open on Sunday? Nobody is forcing them to do so. I think once the sound of ringing registers fill the air those who don't open might change their tune a bit.
Exactly. No one is forcing the liquor stores to remain open- they will simply have the option. I personally am glad to see this change coming- I've never understood why the bars can stay open on Sundays, but the liquor stores are closed. After all, I'd rather see someone buy liquor at the store and drink it at home than have them get hammered at the bar and drive home!!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:46 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Exactly. No one is forcing the liquor stores to remain open- they will simply have the option. I personally am glad to see this change coming- I've never understood why the bars can stay open on Sundays, but the liquor stores are closed. After all, I'd rather see someone buy liquor at the store and drink it at home than have them get hammered at the bar and drive home!!
I agree with you and Todd as well.

They aren't forced to be open, they now have the option.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
Agreed. And they started backing the law when the other law was trying to get pushed through - to allow grocery stores to start selling regular liquor. No one is forcing them to open. There are many stores - Hobby Lobby being one of them - that choose to stay closed on Sunday.
Blue laws are ridiculous. Any store owner should have the right to decide if they want to be open or closed and not be forced to be closed.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
This is so dumb. What's ironic is that the liquour stores DIDN'T WANT to be open on Sundays. But the know-it-alls at the capitol, once more, shove their agenda down the throats of Coloradans. Jennifer Veiga, who also sponsored a bill which would effectively undermine Colorado's no-vote on Ref. I, is clearly out to stick it to the fundies instead of doing something very novel: govern. I mean...hey...why pass middle class tax relief, pro-growth measures, and private property protection when you can stick it to Dobson, right?

Good work, Colorado!
What bill is she sponsoring? I haven't heard anything about it.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 AM

386 posts, read 1,692,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What bill is she sponsoring? I haven't heard anything about it.
She sponsored THIS bill. As well as a bill last session allowing gay adoption (which was formally opposed by a majority of Coloradans when they voted "no" on Ref. I).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado