Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 03:40 PM

12,975 posts, read 18,833,725 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get away from the bigger is better mindset. Which Colorado city has the reputation of catering the most to gay male couples in their mid 50's who have modest household incomes and are thrifty minimalists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,498,818 times
Honestly I think you would like any major city on the front range. For a larger gay population go to a larger city but any city would be fine.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:19 PM

356 posts, read 625,326 times
Hey - My family and I are minimalists as well, but I can tell you that isn't the norm here either. This is home of the McMansions and the "competing with the Jones'" mentallity. I would say Boulder but with a modest income that could be difficult, but if you're truly minimalist you could possibly make it work. Or the heart of Denver, Cap Hill, Cheeseman Park, Golden Triangle, Santa Fe Art District are all open minded and would be a great fit I would think.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,422,121 times
If you want to minimalist and get away from that competitive need to have more and bigger, than find an area around Denver that has modest housing and is not so attractive to those who have a need for conspicuous consumption.

I would avoid any area near the newest big developments and tonier areas. Lone Tree is a good example and many of the desired neighborhoods of Denver, as in Washington Park.

Also, I would avoid all the newer sterile developments in the suburbs even if they are relatively modest, as many who live there are just on the starting competitive line in the race to have more, buy more and show more. They are just young but want more and are more influenced by what they see around them and greedily desire to be someone else in some other place.

Certainly avoid Boulder and any areas of that cities feeder suburbs of those people who jealousy want to be in Boulder. There are areas around Boulder that are more modest like Longmont which I think can be appealing to a minimalist.

I would choose to live in areas which are older and have the smaller homes of the past with people who choose not to spend to show off. I would look at the older neighborhoods that have the modest less costly homes in Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Westminster and Lakewood. I would not look at older homes in older neighborhoods that are being gentrified and those who need the upscale restaurants, fluff shops like near Berkeley and Highland. Though at one time, and in some parts, it was and is home to those who do not have a need to be showy with their spending--these people are being replaced.

It matters not that you are gay; you do not necessarily have to live in an area that is known for gays, as gay people are everywhere in every occupation and many do not exhibit the stereotype that we think of as all gays--they are just regular folks and they are all over and everywhere. If you need that all that all the time around you, then areas of Cheeseman Park is the place but it would be hard to be a minimalist in a costly area of housing and costly shops.

You could easily live in a small less costly home in Wheat Ridge or Arvada and have the more reasonable shopping and activities close. You are then close enough to get to the areas that many perceive as more outwardly gay in the core area of Denver for activities and associations.

There are also many very reasonable area and less costly areas of Denver which showing consumption is not the norm. These would be neighborhoods that are not much mention on this forum as Rosedale, Overland, Ruby Hill, Athmar Park, Westwood, Harvey Park. Those who know the area would immediately notice that I have selected areas in the West and Southwest areas of the Denver and those which border Englewood. They are nice simple area that are very safe and are not attractive to the upscale uppified crowd. Also I would look at the small actual city of Englewood. These areas are not so know to be wanted by the "look at me" and "look where I live".

So, you can easily identify these areas, this is map of the neighborhoods of Denver

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

I guarantee the "see me" people do not want to live near me in Arvada. I live in a modest neighborhood of modest homes near people who are all to be perceived of modest means (some have much more) who prefer to be modest in spending and modest in desires and modest in needs. They have the minimum; do not need be at the maximum. Some can afford the maximum but do not care as wants are satisfied.

I know many people who have reached the level of being multimillionaires and you would never know it. They live all around in small houses in less assuming neighborhoods. They stay where they are because they reached this level of wealth by being thrifty and they do not have a desire to change. Also they are repealed by having to associate with the irritating people who have that aggressive look of competitive flashing needs.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-12-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 PM

12,975 posts, read 18,833,725 times
Thank y'all for your input.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM

17,719 posts, read 29,906,604 times
Default Move to Boulder

and become a Inedia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Doesn't get more minimalist than that.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,111,393 times
Any front range city should be fine. Colorado Springs has a reputation for being very religious and a little homophobic. That said, it will be hard to change that mind set without more great gay men and women moving here. Denver is probably the most gay friendly place, but you're welcome in any of our cities.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:56 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,498,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Any front range city should be fine. Colorado Springs has a reputation for being very religious and a little homophobic. That said, it will be hard to change that mind set without more great gay men and women moving here. Denver is probably the most gay friendly place, but you're welcome in any of our cities.
Denver is not the most gay friendly place its just the largest place so there is a bigger gay community. However I live in Pueblo and its just as gay friendly here the gay community is just a lot smaller.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,111,393 times
Joss, I agree that Pueblo seems pretty gay friendly. Perhaps it is a misconception, but I would think a larger city that was equally accepting would have more amenities that might be of interest to a gay couple, the same way that a larger city has more amenities that may be of interest to families. IE, bigger cities have Sam's Club/Costco, which are appealing to large groups of people sharing food, as families typically do. In a smaller city there is a risk that the best bakery or gym might have a "homophobic" owner. (I generally don't use the word homophobic, because I find ***hole is a better description) In Denver, the plethora of choices ensures there will always be a top notch option where the owners/managers will provide equal service to all customers. No disrespect meant to Pueblo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado