Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 PM

260 posts, read 1,438,669 times

Advertisements

I think the home in Castle Rock really isn't in the same price class as the other two you selected.

I think you'd find the home in Castle Rock to be rather track home ish. Its a fine neighborhood, but among the most dense in Castle Rock. Its called Founders Village. Its not as close to town as other areas and certainly doesn't have the biggest lots.

Here is a home in Soaring Eagle (West side of meadows) which has bigger lots and some views. REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=584953 - broken link) A better choice, I think. Or a newer home in the meadows: REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=586202 - broken link)

I'd be weary of that house in the springs. That just seems like too much square footage for the $$ and the lack of street address is odd.

I would also say the home you selected in Highlands Ranch is not a prime area. Westridge is nice, but also closest to the railroad tracks (can be noisy).

This home in HR is in what I would call a nice neighborhood for your price range: REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=566327 - broken link)#
The schools here are top rated, even among all Douglas County schools.
And the views in the section of HR are among the best, because you can see the high peaks and the greenbelts are more spacious here as well. THis is a big lot in HR.

If your looking for something with character, here is a home in Surrey Ridge ... this is a small enclave of homes ... and typically they have a lot of land. REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=579087 - broken link)
This house is on its own hill and it very private. You would almost certaily see deer in your backyard here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:31 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassonkelly View Post
Well...we're thinking 2. I know 4,000sft. sounds like too much, but each kid would get their own room, I'd like to have a spare for family to visit and my fiance works from home, so he would definitely need his own office. Also I'd like 4,000 sq ft cause out there you have basements and they are counted in the sq ftg of the houses. Although not sure how many sq ft the average basement is?
I know this is none of my business, but I hope you either love cleaning house or have the means for a housekeeper. I have trouble keeping my 1600 sq. ft. home clean! Once you have your kids, you'll know what I mean.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
Quote:
I'd be weary of that house in the springs. That just seems like too much square footage for the $$ and the lack of street address is odd
I'll bet the basement is not finished, but included in the total square footage. We ran into this when we were searching. I think the actual MLS listing sheet will have total square feet and finished square feet.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I agree with B. Adams about the Castle Rock neighborhood where your example house is located. I live in that general area, and I find it a bit crowded. The streets are always filled with parked cars, which makes it rough for kids to play out front, and the backyards are tiny. I also think the properties are a bit run-down, although you can get a LOT of house for your money, and your future children will have tons of peers. The neighborhoods are crawling with kids. Of course, that's the case pretty much everywhere in this town!

If you like Castle Rock, you might want to look at Metzler Ranch or Sapphire Pointe (80108). The Meadows (80109) is another area that has potential. Most of the homes in the Meadows are on tiny lots, but there are exceptions, especially out on the western edge.

For a brief description of other Castle Rock neighborhoods, click here (http://www.castlerock.org/relocation_guide.asp?page=neighborhoods - broken link).

Regarding basements, when you are ready to make an offer on a house, take a trip to the county or city offices and check to make sure the permits are in order. Many people here neglect to file permits or have remodeling work inspected, which can cause problems for you down the road.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 10-30-2007 at 09:29 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 PM

21 posts, read 187,892 times
Default Thanks again

I can't wait to come visit and see these areas in person. I do agree about renting for a year before moving in to a new home. Right now I rent a 750 sq. ft apartment in Costa Mesa, CA for $1300 a month! Renting in CO should be a big relief. As far as if I enjoy cleaning or will I have the time? I'll make the time. I will be a full time mother and wife so my job will include cleaning. Fine by me! So long as my kids and husband appreciate it, I'll be happy to do it. Thank you all again for your help. From what I've gathered Highlands Ranch won't be the place for us but CO Springs and CR will surely be visited.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Well, I was a ft stay at home mom in a 2000 sq ft house, and it was a lot of work. Still is, actually, even w/o the kids around all the time (college). And forget about the kids appreciating it! They will fight you on it. Hubby might, depending. rebagirl has a very good point. Good luck on your move!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassonkelly View Post
I do agree about renting for a year before moving in to a new home. Right now I rent a 750 sq. ft apartment in Costa Mesa, CA for $1300 a month! Renting in CO should be a big relief.
Try Craigslist for rental listings to get an idea of what you can expect.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 PM

We actually bought our current home in Sapphire Pointe because of the amount of home we could get for the $$. Also, our lot is 3/4 acre, which would have been unheard of in Highlands Ranch. We paid half of what a crappy lot would have cost in HR (new home vs. new home). We like it very much are our home backs to Puma Ridge (just beyond Diamond Ridge) ... which is custom homes in the 850k - 1700k range. You have to be careful in Sapphire Point to pick a home with a good location, good drainage and a bigger lot ... and avoid a home on the sapphire pointe blvd. Almost all homes in Sapphire Pointe are on 1/4 acre lots and maybe 15% are on 1/3 acre or larger lots. The homes themselves are all quite nice and on the large side. The downside to Sapphire Pointe is that the property taxes are higher than in other parts of Castle Rock and Sapphire pointe is HOA controlled.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 PM

Here is another home that might be interesting. The only problem is that it backs to (is above) a busy road. It is well above the road, but its Founders Pkwy, a major arterial. But the views would be spectacular. I believe this is in Metzler Ranch. Actually this area is good because it has about the lowest property taxes I've seen in Castle Rock.

Its is an extremely convienient location, in terms of access to stores, travel ... and there is a brand new charter school 3-4 blocks away. Its also close to a nice park, inline skating park and skateboard park ... and most of the newer stores in town.

Single Family Home - 4537 LAZY K DR, CASTLE ROCK, CO, 80104 - Realtor.com

Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 PM

Castlewood Ranch (broken link) is another subdivision that might interest you; however, it's a bit of a drive from the highway at about 15 minutes each way. Housing prices start at about $200k and go up from there, with a few topping a million.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 10-30-2007 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado