Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 PM

19 posts, read 53,486 times

Advertisements

Where are housing rentals typically listed for Ouray? Craigslist "Westernslope" doesn't seem to include Ouray, (or else Ouray rentals are just few and far between). Are the Ouray County Watch and Plaindealer the best bet other than a realtor/property manager?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
You're moving to Ouray NOW in the middle of winter? You must be a real snow lover and my hat's off to you!

Winter is more of an off-season for Ouray unlike places such as Aspen or Telluride. That may be part of the reason why you can't scare up much going on there. You might try checking on nearby Ridgeway which is a larger town north of Ouray on Highway 550. The Ridgeway paper most likely includes Ouray rentals, as well. Same for Craigslist. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 PM

19 posts, read 53,486 times
Thanks for the tip about Ridgeway, I will check into their paper as well. I grew up in South Denver and am currently living in Montana on Flathead Lake, (incredibly beautiful here), so no, I'm no stranger to snow I guess. I'm looking for a smaller town with more sunshine. That said, I have read the Ouray threads about the 1p "sunsetting's", box canyon feel, etc. I'm an outdoor enthusiast though and want to be close to nature in a town with a pop of less than a 1000...

What are your thoughts on Rye and Beulah btw?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM

40 posts, read 107,190 times
OurayNews.com
It's the only place to look.
Good luck!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:55 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink Ouray come winter

Ouray is a small enough place that if one just shows up and asks about lodging options most anything available should soon be discovered. From some distance, say Montana, that may not be feasible, or at least a welcome approach. But an option.

As you've learned, Ouray does not enjoy as much direct sunlight as other locals, particularly in winter. By its very nature of residing in a small box canyon surrounded by quite high mountains, this insured—if also the spectacular scenery. Some adjustment can be had by where situated in town, although this basically means one will gain a fraction more morning or afternoon sun. Those not having tried this before may be surprised, and not in a good way. Think winter days are short when the sun sets at 5pm? Try it when it seemingly hasn't really risen until well into the morning, and then all soon in shadow again by early afternoon. Several hours more of indirect "sunlight" before actual nightfall might seem something less than an honest days worth. Just a fact there, and one of the prices to be paid.

There will be others, not limited to relatively pricy real estate. But, wow, what a setting. In time one can make up their mind if it feels like the ideal home. But in having tried you'll probably never regret having lived there, for however long that might be.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Have you been to Ouray in winter? The sun comes over the mountain around noon and sets at 3. Housing is very expensive. If you want to move to Ouray County and want sunshine, I would suggest Ridgway. But think you should visit first.

Craigslist, has listings as well as the Plaindealer Newspaper, the San Juan Shoppers Guide, and the Telluride Watch.

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,470 times
Ouray County Plaindealer has lots of rental listings. It is the paper for both Ouray and Ridgway. You can get an e-subscription on the website ouraynews.com

Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
I Love Ouray

but

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Have you been to Ouray in winter? The sun comes over the mountain around noon and sets at 3. Housing is very expensive. If you want to move to Ouray County and want sunshine, I would suggest Ridgway. But think you should visit first.

Craigslist, has listings as well as the Plain dealer Newspaper, the San Juan Shoppers Guide, and the Telluride Watch.

Good luck.
Agreed. Three hours sounds about right as you are surrounded by 12 and 13,000 ft. mountains.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
The Ridgway and Ouray papers combined into one a while back and have many rentals listed (I favor Ridgway myself).
But oh, what about work, or is it none of my business what OP plans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado