Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 PM

19 posts, read 53,501 times

Advertisements

So funny again. I had you pegged for an old man too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM

Thank you EVERYONE for the valuable input regarding my choice move location. I am still headed to Ouray in the very near future- it was not ruled out! I will be checking into Ridgeway and Montrose soon after arrival- as well as the other towns and cities referred to and recommended, based on my preferences.

This is a great site and has helped me get a feel for the area I am headed to.

Big thanks again for everyone's input!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
Please keep us posted?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM

Yes I will, of course! Enjoy the rest of winter everyone. I love it, just love it...!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,787,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChilly12 View Post
Thank you EVERYONE for the valuable input regarding my choice move location. I am still headed to Ouray in the very near future- it was not ruled out! I will be checking into Ridgeway and Montrose soon after arrival- as well as the other towns and cities referred to and recommended, based on my preferences.
The good thing is that all the aforementioned towns are within the same general area. It's a hop, skip and a jump from Ouray to Montrose to Paonia.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Hello! I'm still in Montana but will be ready to move to Colorado the end of August. I found this great little cabin in Ridgway, BUT...

Ouray Colorado Mountain Properties - Mountain Vacation Homes - Cabins & Townhouses in Scenic Ouray, Colorado

Alas, I have come to accept that at 7,000ft and a 25 day growing season, I cannot have my cake and eat it too. ColoradoRambler said it best-

"You'll need to decide which is more important to you - a small town up in the mountains or a place where you can grow a garden that supplements what you have to buy from the grocery store. As others have mentioned, you'll have a hard time growing much of a vegetable garden in Ouray or any other town in Colorado at that altitude".

So I am moving on (mentally) from Ouray and Ridgway to the PAONIA, CRAWFORD, and HOTCHKISS areas. I will have a much better chance with my garden and orchard there, while still being in proximity to the mountains. Thanks to those of you who suggested these areas.

I've also discovered I'm more of a "old farmhouse" type girl than a "rustic cabin" type. Anyway, my search continues and it's been a learning experience as an amateur on a quest for country living.

I'll keep you posted, and if anyone has other recommendations I'm open to them! My criteria has only changed slightly. Mainly my reality meter has been adjusted.

1. Good soil for a vegetable garden and orchard. NOW: Good elevation & growing season.
2. Water- well or spring. NOW: Prefer surface water.
3. Mountains nearby- preferably surrounding me and within walking distance.
4. Sunshine.
5. Small town feel and pop of less than 1000.

Thank you.

I came across this site that summarizes many of the towns in Colorado, if it helps anyone else...

Colorado Towns | Things To Do In Colorado

Last edited by GreenChilly12; 06-30-2013 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 PM

462 posts, read 1,174,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChilly12 View Post

1. Good soil for a vegetable garden and orchard.
2. Water- well or spring.
3. Mountains nearby- preferably surrounding me and within walking distance.
4. Sunshine.
5. Small town feel and pop of less than 1000.

Salida CO

Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 PM

Population in Salida 5000+ Too big a city for me...!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 AM

462 posts, read 1,174,083 times
I wouldn't call Salida a city. It has a very small town feel. I would have recommended Buena Vista but you would have difficulty gardening there- short growing season.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,006,557 times
@Chilly....The Paonia, Crawford, Hotchkiss area is most likely to provide the experience you are seeking. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado