Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 04:19 AM

171 posts, read 879,616 times

Advertisements

Whose weather is better, FC, CS or Parker? I know this is a subjective answer, so if you can, please let me know based on (in your opinion and experience)....

Snowfall
Snow length of stay
Days with sunshine
Wind chill factor
Dreary days
T-storms & tornados
Too Hot summer days
etc.....

I have looked on the sites with all the stats and am frustrated by them. It appears that many of the graphs and curves show that you basically seem to all have virtually the same weather. Which is hard for me to believe. Is that true? Because, when I look at the posts it seems you all have a different opinion than that. That there are some differences. Just like I could tell people who wanted to move here, when the early morning foggy clouds burn off and that we get May gray and June gloom and when you'd need airconditioning and for how long and where you could live so you wouldnt etc...

So instead of me trying to read 50 posts with replies many times that, can you all help me out here in this post? Also, what kind of natural disasters occur there, is it mainly flooding or what else should I consider?

Thanks for helping out a clueless neighbor, wanting to relocate and soon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 08:15 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Colorado is the 8th largest state in the union. Some weather systems come from the north and logically hit ft collins, then denver, then the springs. other systems come directly from the west, and is hit or miss on a particular area.

I always assume the weather is close to the same along the front range.

I drove in a bizzard a year and a half ago that closed I-25 south of Lincoln, once I got to Lincoln, there wasn't much snow. But a 90 minute drive from Pueblo was a 5 hour nightmare.

Snow is usually gone in a few days, except in the high country and on the north side of the property.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Thank you!!

Hi!!
Thanks so much for your post and input. I sure appreciate it.
Regards!!

Old 09-26-2006, 01:07 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
We live in south Parker (last 2 1/2 yrs.) and I have video/photos of some blinding snow conditions right where our house is........could hardly see our neighbor's house across the street. We don't get "tons" of snow here, but we definitely get snow. In fact, we got tired of shoveling snow, so we bought a snow blower (and use it last year). Last year we also got a fairly "wet" snow storm that broke a number of branches off our tree in the front yard.......same thing happened to our neighbors trees.
Also have video/photos of some nasty looking lightning/thunderstorms around our area.
This is the "true" type Colorado weather we have. Not all the nice sunny days that way to many people brag about.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:58 PM

137 posts, read 774,292 times
In Colorado Springs we are nestled against the mountains, and we avoid a lot of the harsher storms that hit the Denver area. The furthur east of the mountains you get the worse the snow. I imagine that Parker would be more windy and would get more snow. I never lived in Park, but we lived in Highlands Ranch (west of Parker). Highlands Ranch got more snow, so I'm sure that Parker would. Colorado Springs is also a higher elevation, so we have cooler temps in the summer. When Denver is at 95, we're at 90.
I don't know how Ft. Collins would compare.
We do have a lot of T-Storms (more lightening than rain), and a few tornados- but not many. It is nice and sunny here, and the snow generally melts off quickly in the sun (byt the afternoon), but it can stick around most of the winter in shaded areas.
Stay away from the prairie land if you don't like wind.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:47 PM

66 posts, read 493,825 times
Along the Northern Colorado Front Range in Fort Collins, Loveland, Berthoud, etc., there are no tornadoes - too close to the mountains for one to form.

Thunderstorms, yes. Lightning shows - yes - awesome to watch INSIDE! This doesn't happen often. During the summer, afternoon showers may come and go. There are very few dreary days in Colorado. If we get more than a couple of cloudy days all day long in a row, more than a handful of days a year, that's a lot. Sunshine over 300 days of the year.

Most of the really measurable snowfall takes place in the spring time, when we usually get heavy, wet snow storms. A large one of a foot or more may last a week or so. The major roadways are cleared, but some residential areas could be a challenge. The 1" - 6" stuff is gone in a couple of days usually. The ski resorts west of Denver have already received 2' - 3' this year. Awesome conditions for the avid skiers. We haven't received any snow in this area.

Windchill factor doesn't come into play too often. I'm not out in the elements a lot during the winter, so I consider it a non-issue.

This past summer was one of the hottest on record. I remember 90 degree days in May and June. There were some 100 degree days as well. And no, I don't believe in global warming. Next summer could be cooler - no one knows.

Kaligirl, this may help you understand the weather in the Denver/Boulder area. Go to http://www.crh.noaa.gov/den/cli/climo.php. You can investigate each month or even view last years annual summary. Keep in mind that the weather along the Front Range can be noticeably different from one city to the next, 5 miles or 20 miles. Loveland/Fort Collins area could be dry as a bone, and Denver could have heavy streetflooding - seriously.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
I agree w/ CSColorado. I guess alot of it depends on your hobbies and what you like to do for fun. Best of luck to you! SHEP

Old 09-28-2006, 01:36 AM

Default cold toes

You guys are awesome!

Thank you for the links to some great info to research. That always helps!

Most especially thank you for all your input, stories and takes on it, because there's nothing like having the locals tell it like it is. I want to move with my eyes wide open, since I am not so used to having my toes be so cold.

Thanks again. You all are the most friendly & helpful people.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM

45 posts, read 348,560 times
Hey, I keep hearing about how us locals are so friendly and sharing, etc...just remember, we expect that of all we meet. Therefore, anyone who does end up moving to this beautiful place, hang the 'tude at the border and come on in!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado