Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a 'water association' sound like a doable thing?
Yes 5 71.43%
No 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 AM

7 posts, read 13,245 times

Advertisements

I had a dream once. I bought a 2 acre parcel from Century 21 that had no realistic opportunity for water. I had thoughts of retirement or investment at the least. Dashed by questionable (to say the least) tactics of slick salesmen.
I have, in the last decade or so, tried to figure out the options. Obviously, one can install a cistern and truck water in. an option NO ONE finds desirable as a permanent solution.

The only REAL solution I can see is to run the water line from the nearest existing tap. For my lot, the nearest tap is 1 mile away. That is at a cost of an estimated $80,000. Obviously, that isn’t going to be worth it for a little 2 acre lot.

However, if the others who had the same dream I had back in 2000 have any glimmer of hope left (for me it’s just to get out of it with my shirt, the ‘dream’ is over) we might be able to start an ‘association’ of sorts for a one time project of running that water line across multiple properties and split that cost among as many property owners as possible. I added up all the properties between mine and the 1 mile away tap, for instance, and found that, if we ALL split it, it would cost about $2,000 per property owner to run the pipe. That moves the impossible to possible fairly quickly.

I don’t really know anything beyond that as far as how to set everything up. Obviously there would have to be some sort of ‘fund’ setup in order to ensure we actually HAVE the funds available, etc. I doubt anyone would do the work on an IOU

So some legal things would have to be setup. Maybe some of our lot owners out there have that kind of knowledge, experience. Also maybe other resources amongst us, equipment , etc. Personally, I am a Systems Engineer with HP and can setup a website and get the ‘ball rolling’ so to speak

Right now, I’m just trying to gauge interest. I know when we bought it and would go visit it, we saw a lot of people out walking their lots and dreaming about what they were going to do with it. Hopes dashed, I’m sure some have moved on and some have sold. If I hear back from enough folks, I will setup a website to get more interest and post updates, etc. For now, if you are interested, email me at

Ron@selbyfam.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
A private water association is doable, but I imagine that it would be costly to set up especially with water laws in Colorado. I have a house in Buena Vista in a 55-lot subdivision, and we have our own well that is managed by a private association. When we bought our house, all of the agreements were in place, and we pay an annual water fee in addition to our annual HOA dues.

What do the rest of the people in your area do for water? Do they have wells? Who owns the water that is supplied by the tap that you refer to? Do they have the water rights to provide the additional water for multiple properties?

When you bought the property, did the realtor disclose that you had no water rights? Seems like you'd have some legal recourse there.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 AM

753 posts, read 843,059 times
Where in town is your land? I'm interested in this conversation because I'm buying land in Colorado City.

Yet, I knew going in that my parcel was lacking all city amenities like water, power, etc. But I'm curious how this goes for you. I'm a few years away from being able to use it. My 'dream' is to have a very temporary dwelling there. "Roughing it" so to speak.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
A private water association is doable, but I imagine that it would be costly to set up especially with water laws in Colorado. I have a house in Buena Vista in a 55-lot subdivision, and we have our own well that is managed by a private association. When we bought our house, all of the agreements were in place, and we pay an annual water fee in addition to our annual HOA dues.

What do the rest of the people in your area do for water? Do they have wells? Who owns the water that is supplied by the tap that you refer to? Do they have the water rights to provide the additional water for multiple properties?

When you bought the property, did the realtor disclose that you had no water rights? Seems like you'd have some legal recourse there.
Hawaii ...Our 'development area' was laid out in the 60's and never developed then (outside of roads cut and fire plugs) and was all leased as grazing land. When the leases expired, they decided to try it again. All of this 'development' is separate from the township of Colorado City and sits south of but more or less between Colorado City and Rye. The entire development sits on a HUGE aquifer that is owned by the city water company. So, no wells allowed at all. Tapping into their water lines is the only option there unfortunately. I talked to them personally and they’re more than happy to supply all the water we need as long we can get it there.

Yea, the realtor company DID include disclosure about the water availability but shined over it verbally that it was ‘no big deal…we’ve already sold 80% of the lots, water is on its way’. Obviously borders on fraud there and I had heard rumor of a class action suit at one time but I never found it develop into anything. Possibly due to the fact that the office shut down immediately after selling all the lots off and all the agents disappeared. Very shady to say the least and left a bad enough taste for Century 21 that I’ll never do business with them ever again.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Where in town is your land? I'm interested in this conversation because I'm buying land in Colorado City.

Yet, I knew going in that my parcel was lacking all city amenities like water, power, etc. But I'm curious how this goes for you. I'm a few years away from being able to use it. My 'dream' is to have a very temporary dwelling there. "Roughing it" so to speak.
FLGuy...If you know about the area much, Greenhorn rd is the main dirt road between Colorado City and Rye. My lot is on Greenhorn, pretty much right between Rye and COC. (Lawrence and Greenhorn). I'll attach the url to my Google map below, hopefully it shows up.

Yea, see, really hard to go wrong with it having that dream. Worst case for you, the lake there sells water CHEAP and you can just put a small cistern on your lot and you would be set for your whole trip.

I've talked to some people that have been interested in my lot that basically want to do the same thing and they don't really care about the water thing either. I'll just go ahead and admit that I paid almost 19K for the lot and probably the BEST I could do with that scenario is 4K. I'm not kidding myself about getting out of this with my shirt if I decide to sell it either way. It's just now, that I live in Arizona, and it's about to get reaaal hot, I start thinking about that 'summer' thing for myself, or at least, getting closer to 10K if I do get rid of it?

Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions about the area or anything, we lived in Colorado Springs when we bought it and we bought it because we LOVED that area, absolutely beautiful!

Colorado Springs, CO to Michele Dr - Google Maps

Last edited by EvrittMcgill; 04-05-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Wow, then I'm really getting taken on price (paying $2K for .25 acre) but I somewhat knew that. But my situation is different as I'm bartering for my property there.

Have you thought of keeping the price higher and owner financing it? I feel that seems to help both sides in these random pieces of land. The buyer will pay the higher price because of bypassing a bank and the owner doesn't have to lose his shirt on the price. Just a thought.

I'm glad to know you thought it was beautiful. I've had someone from CD go take photos of my plot and was happy. The view of Greenhorn Mtn. alone was breathtaking. It's up south of the Greenhorn Creek running just south of 165 on Talley Drive.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:

Yes I have often heard this "I'm gonna slap up a mud hut and live like the 1850's", but most local and state zoning and building codes don't allow such temporary dwellings. I am no expert, but I would thoroughly do your research before you waste your money.

I would also never buy any raw land without guaranteed water and utilities. Not maybe, if or buts, only guaranteed.

My recommendation for people is to purchase land in a reliable and existing property association that can supply utilities, water, snow plowing and fire protection.

Unfortunately in Colorado there is a steady trade in selling near worthless land as "lots" to the next dreamer or cheap lots with a low cost of entry that require extensive amounts of work and money to make them livable.

Also real estate agents don't give a damn, they represent and get their money from the seller not the buyer. Assume the RE agent doesn't know a damn thing and do your own research.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Wanneroo, my thoughts exactly. I simply refer to those deals as "land swindles" since the land those people are selling has very little potential unless one spends a good deal of money to convert a raw lot into a "finished" lot suitable for building. I've a friend in FL who decades ago bought a lot in Forbes ranch, sight unseen, never built on it, and let it go for taxes after failing to register changes of address with the taxing authority....

Some people have posted on here that they use these types of lots for parking a camper or RV during hunting season, etc, which seems a good way to get some value out of the land.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Yes, I'll not be slapping up any mud hut from the 1800's. I'm thinking tiny off-grid cabin concept or RV. I only plan to be there during non-winter seasons.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Yes, I'll not be slapping up any mud hut from the 1800's. I'm thinking tiny off-grid cabin concept or RV. I only plan to be there during non-winter seasons.
Cabins left unoccupied during the winter are the target of vandals and thieves; the RV allows you to make but one expenditure and have something you can use year-round for going all over the nation if you choose.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado