Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM

44 posts, read 133,106 times

Advertisements

We moved to Idaho Springs a few months ago (that's in another post) and we haven't really explored much beyond our immediate area. So I'm planning a road trip for my 30th birthday in May, and I would love some suggestions. We have 3 kids (3,5,9), and all our activities will be centered around them. I know, it's my birthday, but if they aren't having fun, then nobody is having fun. Right now, I'm thinking about heading west on I-70 to spend a night in Grand Junction and visit places in between. But I'm open to any and all suggestions. The plan is to leave early Friday morning (May4) and get back to Idaho Springs Sunday evening (May6). Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,006,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabear View Post
We moved to Idaho Springs a few months ago (that's in another post) and we haven't really explored much beyond our immediate area. So I'm planning a road trip for my 30th birthday in May, and I would love some suggestions. We have 3 kids (3,5,9), and all our activities will be centered around them. I know, it's my birthday, but if they aren't having fun, then nobody is having fun. Right now, I'm thinking about heading west on I-70 to spend a night in Grand Junction and visit places in between. But I'm open to any and all suggestions. The plan is to leave early Friday morning (May4) and get back to Idaho Springs Sunday evening (May6). Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Tons of choices, if you're in Grand Junction I would check out Colorado National Monument, it's like a little slice of Utah in Colorado.

I like to swing through Palisade and do some wine tastings to check out some local wines.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison national park is really cool if you want to drive that far down

Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM

26,242 posts, read 49,145,261 times
The hot springs in Glenwood Springs, right off I-70, might be good stop, the kids can play in the water, which should be a treat for them. The old Hotel Colorado there is like a trip back into history, and it's only a few blocks from the hot springs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,088,778 times
Well...you could ride the train in Georgetown ( called the Georgtown Loop) it is great for families!! The town is cute too!!
Maybe think about a dip in the Hot Springs Pool in Glenwood Springs!!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,073,489 times
I would vote for Glenwood too. The Hot Springs are fun and the Glenwood Caverns are amazing.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,130,214 times
Great ideas already mentioned. There is also an adventure park in Glenwood Springs: Glenwood Springs Colorado - Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park - Hours & Ticket information
The kids would love the Georgetown Loop RR (great suggestion) and your timing is great, the train starts running again on May 5. Historic Colorado Georgetown Loop Railroad, Train Rides & Family Vacation Activities Denver

Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM

44 posts, read 133,106 times
Great suggestions! Thank you everyone!!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,995,216 times
Wink Independence Pass

It may depend how much the kids like road trips, but a nice detour off of I-70, and then back to it, would be via Independence Pass.

I-70 to Grand Junction is a beautiful route and well worth seeing, although portions of it possible as well in reverse in traveling back home.

Independence Pass (elevation: 12,095 feet) is one of the premier passes and drives in Colorado. All two-lane, it is mountainous and windy enough to suite most anyone, and with great scenery the entire distance. To reach it from I-70 the best way is shortly after Frisco (at Copper Mountain Ski Area) to turn off for Leadville. Which is an interesting town, if mostly from a historical perspective. Although also notable for its scenic location and altitude. From there it is but a brief drive south to turn right towards the small but charming town of Twin Lakes, situated by the water at the base of the east side of the pass.

It is all very much mountains from there, until emerging at the far side directly into Aspen. Which may or not be a kid's favorite, unless liking to buy expensive things. But even if on a budget which precludes spending as much as a penny there, it is still a beautiful and interesting town. As well as all the rest of the drive from there down the Roaring Fork Valley to Glenwood Springs and I-70.

If really determined, one could turn off at Carbondale to drive up the lovely Crystal River to Redstone, and then over the slighter pass to continue in a long loop south through Paonia and around eventually to Grand Junction. But unless really liking diversions, this route not as scenic or perhaps amenable to those wanting to get 'somewhere.'

Keep in mind that Independence Pass closes for the winter, only reopening in late spring. Depending when in May, it may or not be open. This depends in part on the amount of snow. Hopefully we receive enough new snow between now and then to make this problematic; if not, then it really might be open earlier in May.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabear View Post
Right now, I'm thinking about heading west on I-70 to spend a night in Grand Junction and visit places in between. But I'm open to any and all suggestions. The plan is to leave early Friday morning (May4) and get back to Idaho Springs Sunday evening (May6). Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Partake of the hot springs in Glenwood Springs.
Do the Hanging lake hike in Glenwood Canyon.
Take the highway from I-70 to Leadville. It's pretty cool.
Take the highway from I-70 to Aspen and hang out in Aspen.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 PM

643 posts, read 2,388,519 times
Independence Pass is usually closed until Memorial Day or shortly thereafter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado