Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2006, 08:52 PM

95 posts, read 435,284 times

Advertisements

We are planning a visit to CO for a scope out visit to see if we think we can really see ourselves living there. We will be in town 11/19-11/25. We have somewhere to stay in CS the first part of the trip, but we would like to take Thursday (thanksgiving) and Friday nights to vacation and just enjoy ourselves. We'd love to be in the mountains- somewhere where we know there will be snow on the ground. We aren't going to ski- so that isn't important. We are traveling with a 10month old baby- so our actual activities are a little limited. We just want somewhere we can wake up to something beautiful. BUT we are on a budget. So the major ski resort areas aren't an option (and the huge crowds really don't appeal to us anyway).

Also, we have to be back to the airport in DEN on saturday by 4:30pm for a 7:50pm flight (leaving room to turn in the car). So we can't get TOO far away I suppose.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Maybe a "secret" spot? Doesn't have to be exceptionally high class- we like to rough it- just has to be safe for baby.

I'm going to post this in several places hoping to get more answers.......

THANKS SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 01:11 PM

571 posts, read 2,536,786 times
Snow on the ground in November (where actual people live, anyway) might be kind of hit and miss. The snowiest part of the year in Colorado isn't until late winter/early spring...but of course mountain storms are unpredictable and you might get "lucky!"

As far as somewhere nice to stay, you might want to check out Buena Vista. (If I remember correctly, it's about 2 hours from Colorado Springs, west on US hwy 24.) It's not a ski-resort town, so the prices are more reasonable, especially in the non-summer off season. But it is beautiful...set against the collegiate peaks and along the Arkansas River. It's just a small mountain town...no McDonald's or big box stores...just a nice little "main street" with locally owned shops and restuarants. The drive there from COS is also very nice and scenic.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2006, 01:48 PM

5 posts, read 24,870 times
Default Spending some vacation time

Hi,
I read your post and immediately thought of Buena Vista. Then, I saw that someone else had the same thought.

Buena Vista is about two hours from Denver and about the same from the Springs.

It is a wonderful little, touristy town that is arrogantly non-commercial. It is much more eclectic than corporate-owned Breckenridge.

Another very tiny town not far from Denver is Fairplay. It is very high up, about 10,000 feet and it is a tiny little town that has an older motel that I've stayed in called, I think, the American Motel. It is owned by a nice Hindu-American family and it is a clean, older motel.

The views are wonderful and you can walk through the old ghost-town portion of town. Fairplay is not a tourist town. It's just a small town that's got some peace and quiet.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 PM

24 posts, read 136,661 times
All of those suggestions are great. I love Buena Vista. However to cut down on your road travel during the holidays it might be advisable to consider Manitou Springs, it's real eclectic with a blue collar resort aesthetic.

There are no ski slopes so Winter is kind of their off season consequently prices should be great. They have some really cool Bed and Breakfast places and some quaint as can be motels.

Essentially it's right at the base of the Pikes Peak and has alot of history.

Plus it's 30 minutes at the most from almost anywhere in Colo. Spgs.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,141 times
I am sorry for bringing up a very old thread, but this one fitted my question pretty good. I am visiting colorado in a couple of months from Sweden and I really want to see the mountains. Are there any bus lines going from denver to the Fairplay area or do you have to rent a car to go there?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,938,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafzel View Post
Are there any bus lines going from denver to the Fairplay area or do you have to rent a car to go there?
To the best of my knowledge, you will need to rent a car. Shuttles from DIA and the Colorado Springs Airport to the mountains run to the resort towns like Breckenridge (which is a quick drive to Fairplay over Hoosier Pass), Vail, Keystone, etc...Fairplay is not a destination resort or anywhere along those lines. I would think that if you took a shuttle up to any of the resort towns, renting a car will be a lot more in those areas too. I'd say, just rent a car at DIA and it will give you the freedom to check out other areas too.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
To the best of my knowledge, you will need to rent a car. Shuttles from DIA and the Colorado Springs Airport to the mountains run to the resort towns like Breckenridge (which is a quick drive to Fairplay over Hoosier Pass), Vail, Keystone, etc...Fairplay is not a destination resort or anywhere along those lines. I would think that if you took a shuttle up to any of the resort towns, renting a car will be a lot more in those areas too. I'd say, just rent a car at DIA and it will give you the freedom to check out other areas too.
Thank you for your answer!
I've decided to rent a car to check some of the mountain towns out.
I will probably get the most out of my trip that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado