Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:43 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,206,219 times

Advertisements

Found this article about spots for viewing the fall colors. Anyone know of any more?

Where To See Colorado's Fall Colors 2011 - Denver Weather News Story - KMGH Denver

I don't think I am going to have a ton of time of time to venture out, so I might try to check out the spot listed on CO67 near Cripple Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 7,005,892 times
Wink Color along Peak to Peak, etc.

The article has a good list of suggestions. A fine reference.

Having recently seen some of the country mentioned, I can report that the aspen are only beginning to turn. At the moment, those wishing to see the fullest color should probably head to the highest elevations.

A good drive and view of the aspen is along the Peak to Peak road running from basically Black Hawk to Estes Park. It affords an often good view of the front range mountains, and a few days ago one would have seen signs of the new skiff of snow on the highest peaks, such as west of Rollinsville.

During the height of color stretches of this route, such as north of Nederland, are popular and one is apt to see lines of parked cars and photographers at the side of the road, particularly on weekends. But that moment has not fully arrived yet. There is some autumn color, with pleasant juxtaposition between the yellows and greens of aspen leafs turned and yet to. The peak of far fuller color is likely two or three weeks distant.

Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park is always a beautiful drive, although as a good portion of it is above timberline aspen will only be found along the lower approaches on either side, or in view from a long distance somewhere along the top.

The 16th suggestion, of the drive between Gunnison and Crested Butte, probably nice. But it only mentions the possibility of continuing past Crested Butte on Kebler Pass as an afterthought, while that should probably be the focus of your trip there. The route, as far as I know still a good dirt road, travels through a number of large and lovely aspen groves. From the far side one could swing around through Aspen and over Independence Pass.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,138,557 times
The Colorado Tourism site has a great fall foliage guide that covers the best areas in the state: Your Complete Fall Foliage Guide | Colorado.com
The Peak to Peak Scenic Byway is one of my favorites but there is not much happening in the way of color quite yet.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,543,552 times
As noted above, the fall colors are very late this year. Often, the coming weekend is the peak of fall colors in a normal year. Not this year. When colors are late like this, quite often either a freeze or snowfall will simply cause the aspen leaves to turn black and fall with very little color display at all. We'll just have to wait to see if that happens this year, but it is a possibility.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 AM

26,320 posts, read 49,281,980 times
There may be some indication available by looking at CDOT's highway cameras along the I-70 corridor. I don't see much color showing yet.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,138,557 times
Last night 9News showed a photo taken on Boreas Pass over the weekend, the leaves are changing up there. Fall Colors | Weather Network | Denver | Colorado's Online Weather Leader | 9NEWS.com

Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,016,440 times
Going to venture out on the weekend of Oct 1/2, hoping it will be good by then

Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,737,350 times
Probably my favorite places are around Aspen. Independence Pass and a few of the roads out of Aspen, towards the ghost town of ********, as well as Snowmass. The Vail area is pretty good as well.

Also one place I have gotten good pictures is Gore Pass on Hwy 134. That road is not well traveled and it is pretty quiet through there.

Carbondale to Marble is also another excellent place.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,946,833 times
HWY 62 from Ridgway to the Dallas Divide. Also Last Dollar Road off HWY 62, HWY 65 on Grand Mesa, HWY 92 at McClure Pass, HWY 133 from HWY 50 to HWY 92, HWY 550 through Red Mountain Pass.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,980,237 times
Already mentioned, but the Aspen area for sure.

Also the Lake City / Creede area. I forget the number of the state highway that goes through there... But it is beautiful.

One more: McClure Pass between Delta and Carbondale. I've gone through a couple times in summer, but never in fall. If I remember correctly though, there are a large amount of non-evergreen trees in that area. Perhaps someone who has gone through here in fall before can elaborate. I'm only assuming that it's spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado