Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 34,132 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to move to colorado ! But I want a nice mtn town,with pop of
20000 or less!
Any ideas out there, thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 04:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Bringing lots of money with you? That's pretty much what it takes . . .

Old 08-01-2007, 09:15 PM

42 posts, read 247,409 times
What area of Colorado are you looking at? There's a lot small towns scattered throughout Colorado.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:35 PM

423 posts, read 1,960,061 times
There are many Mountain towns. If you are just looking to live in the mountains and not looking for skiing or anything like that you might want to consider places like Red Feather, GlacierView, and Estes Park. They are all within driving distance to Ft Collins/Loveland and offer a mountain community with lower prices, but they do not offer any of the resort type of activity or shopping. Basically just hunting, fishing, etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 32,048 times
Wink I know of a couple of small towns

I can't speak for all of Colo...it really is a BIG place...

But, I do know of a couple of towns I have visited/vacationed at/known family that live there kind of thing. These are all 5000 or less population.

I basicly am predudiced toward the San Jauns... Ouray/Telluride/Ridgeway/Norwood area...San Miguel County and surrounding counties...including the towns of Silverton, Dolores and Cotez.
1) It is beautiful. There is a spot on Highway 62 between Ridgeway and Placerville on Dallas Divide that is suposedly "the most photographed spot in America". I would not have ever beleived this until last Sept. when I came over the Pass, and at the "scenic overlook" there had to be 100 photographers set up and waiting for the sun to cast it's early morning glow on the Aspens in yellow and The snow capped Sneiffels Range. The folks that came up with the term "breathtaking" thought of it first here.
2) It is still, despite the influx of non-natives, small-town america. Go watch the Norwood basketball team on a chilly February night if you don't beleive me. I can vacation here, and go home to Missouri after a week, and feel like I've been on another planet.... You can suck up or discard as much of the rest of the world as you like while you are here... It really does move at it's own pace. Friends that I know there have told me it's just "that" that makes the cold long winters tolerable.
3) It helps to be independently wealthy if you want to live here. Everything costs more, period. 10 to 25% more. Food, gas, bare essentials, a good combination plate at a Mexican restraunt, and especially real estate. Unless you are a vastly popular writer, painter, or webmaster, you need income from some other source to be able to live here. Don't expect to move there and find a high paying job easily. My daughter just moved for the Telluride area and after being there a year she saved zilch dollars.
4) If you are a nature lover, you know that it is the absence of Humans that makes for a pristine natural environment. You can still find that here. Hiking, Biking, Hunting fishing, or just sightseeing. You can do any of these and be completely alone. Perfect!

My suggestion is to visit the area. Spend a week. you will like it if you can afford it!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 PM

28 posts, read 196,608 times
I lived in colorado most of my life. It has changed so much , like most areas that are popular.The cost of living can be very high. Most of your money will go towards housing.Bring lots of cash. A good vehicle for snow is a must in the mountains.Seems Every one wants to move there....so you pay for the simple rule of supply and demand. As for my wife and I we have made the choice to move to a place where not everybody and his brother are considering moving to. Colorado has great people,the best air, ski, ski, ski!!!!and of course...THE MOUNTAINS My wife and I will always miss them. There are lots of great spots out there, and all over this country... go get you one!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod07 View Post
I can't speak for all of Colo...it really is a BIG place...

But, I do know of a couple of towns I have visited/vacationed at/known family that live there kind of thing. These are all 5000 or less population.

I basicly am predudiced toward the San Jauns... Ouray/Telluride/Ridgeway/Norwood area...San Miguel County and surrounding counties...including the towns of Silverton, Dolores and Cotez.
1) It is beautiful. There is a spot on Highway 62 between Ridgeway and Placerville on Dallas Divide that is suposedly "the most photographed spot in America". I would not have ever beleived this until last Sept. when I came over the Pass, and at the "scenic overlook" there had to be 100 photographers set up and waiting for the sun to cast it's early morning glow on the Aspens in yellow and The snow capped Sneiffels Range. The folks that came up with the term "breathtaking" thought of it first here.
2) It is still, despite the influx of non-natives, small-town america. Go watch the Norwood basketball team on a chilly February night if you don't beleive me. I can vacation here, and go home to Missouri after a week, and feel like I've been on another planet.... You can suck up or discard as much of the rest of the world as you like while you are here... It really does move at it's own pace. Friends that I know there have told me it's just "that" that makes the cold long winters tolerable.
3) It helps to be independently wealthy if you want to live here. Everything costs more, period. 10 to 25% more. Food, gas, bare essentials, a good combination plate at a Mexican restraunt, and especially real estate. Unless you are a vastly popular writer, painter, or webmaster, you need income from some other source to be able to live here. Don't expect to move there and find a high paying job easily. My daughter just moved for the Telluride area and after being there a year she saved zilch dollars.
4) If you are a nature lover, you know that it is the absence of Humans that makes for a pristine natural environment. You can still find that here. Hiking, Biking, Hunting fishing, or just sightseeing. You can do any of these and be completely alone. Perfect!

My suggestion is to visit the area. Spend a week. you will like it if you can afford it!
Thanks for all the great info ! I am going out this week to look around,but unfortunately,I am not independently wealthy !!
Thanks Again !

Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
There are many Mountain towns. If you are just looking to live in the mountains and not looking for skiing or anything like that you might want to consider places like Red Feather, GlacierView, and Estes Park. They are all within driving distance to Ft Collins/Loveland and offer a mountain community with lower prices, but they do not offer any of the resort type of activity or shopping. Basically just hunting, fishing, etc.
Thanks for the info! I am going out this week to look around !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado