Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Colorado Desert land is your most favorite?
Northwest Colorado Desert (Roan Plateau- Dinosaur, Rangely, Craig) 1 3.70%
Western Colorado Desert (Grand Junction, Fruita, Palisade, De Beque, Parachute, Battlement Mesa) 8 29.63%
Dolores River-San Miguel River Deserts (Gateway, Naturita, Nucla) 3 11.11%
Southwestern Colorado Deserts (Dove Creek, Cortez) 4 14.81%
San Luis Valley Desert (Saguache, Center, Hooper, Monte Vista, Alamosa, San Luis, La Jara, etc.) 4 14.81%
Southern Colorado Desert (Pueblo, Canon City, Florence, Royal Gorge) 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 PM

198 posts, read 1,279,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I picked NW because it had no votes and looked lonely.

Nice pics and thread.
Thank you. I always feel like Colorado is mistaken to be only a mountainous and high plains state. Its seems as if people do not realize that roughly 15-20% of CO is made of up High Desert land. Some people do not even realize that Cacti grows in CO. The tall Cacti, like the Sonoran desert in central and southern AZ, does not grow here. But, many various types of cacti grow as far east in CO as the table mesas in Denver and the high plains in SE Colorado. You can find cacti all over our desert lands. It seems like few people know about the large amount if desert land in Colorado. I am glad that many posters on these forums do though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM

A picture of Cacti that grows in the Southern Colorado desert lands. This picture was taken in Pueblo.

Cacti in the Western CO desert lands. This picture was taken at the Colorado National Monument

Pueblo Reservoir Cacti. SoCo desert lands.

Cactaceae Cacti. A rare Cactus that only grows in New Mexico and Colorado. This picture was taken in Canon City.

Cacti in SW Colorado. Taken in Cortez.

Cacti in SE Colorado. Taken at the Comanche Grasslands by La Junta and Rocky Ford.

Cacti in NorCo. Taken at the Pawnee Grasslands.

Cacti in NW Colorado. Taken on the Roan Plateau.

Last edited by CO.Native.SW; 04-01-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 06:00 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,802 times
It's always great to encounter another desert lover. Keep those pictures coming.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
It's always great to encounter another desert lover. Keep those pictures coming.
Thanks. It makes me wonder what I am doing in Denver. I love the desert lands of CO. It seems like few people realize that about 15-20% of Colorado is made up of desert lands. Even the La Junta/Rocky Ford part of the High Plains has semi-desert like terrain in the Comanche Grasslands.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
ndk

68 posts, read 302,216 times
Voted for the San Luis Valley, though that picture from Blanca is... not representative.

We do have cactus all over the state, though. Just today, hiking along Lumpy Ridge, I found some lovely little mountain ball cacti, though they can't hold a candle to that fantastic Pueblo walking stick cactus. There were pasqueflowers all over the place already though.

Succulents FTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado