Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 PM

50,960 posts, read 24,459,082 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever done the hike from the Falls parking lot to the old dam?

The brochure says only 1/3 mile, which I find very hard to believe, based on the road...which is dangerously narrow for a 2 lane road and once you get to the dam by car you may not park anywhere. Really weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
We haven't done the hike from the falls parking lot to the dam, but we have taken the hike from the southern entrance many times (the road in is a two-lane paved road and the parking lot has plenty of space). We've used the brochure for information about the area, but haven't worried about the exact measurements of the hikes. After all, we're there to enjoy the flora and fauna and learn a little bit of history. It's a wonderful area and one of my favorite places to get out of the city and take a hike.

You've complained so far about not having signs directing you to the park, and now you are complaining about the brochure and the condition of the road. Maybe another park would be more to your liking???

Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We haven't done the hike from the falls parking lot to the dam, but we have taken the hike from the southern entrance many times (the road in is a two-lane paved road and the parking lot has plenty of space). We've used the brochure for information about the area, but haven't worried about the exact measurements of the hikes. After all, we're there to enjoy the flora and fauna and learn a little bit of history. It's a wonderful area and one of my favorite places to get out of the city and take a hike.

You've complained so far about not having signs directing you to the park, and now you are complaining about the brochure and the condition of the road. Maybe another park would be more to your liking???
1. You don't think that it's a little strange that no sign on route 86 let's you know where that area's entrance to the park is? That the sign about the entrance is actually more than a quarter mile off the highway??? That, in fact, the only entrance sign on route 86 directs drivers to the entrance several miles away on route 83, which does not connect with the other end of the park?

2. I'm an older man with physical disabilities. I can do some hikes, and enjoy doing so, but because of my physical disabilities the distance of the hike and the ruggedness of it is a significant limitation. Hence the question.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,944,773 times
I see where you got confused. The Dam Trail is the trail around the Dam. You have to hike another trail (Creek Bottom) which is at least a mile to get to the Dam Trail from the west entrance. Bottom line is if you want to walk around the dam, you will have to hike to get there. That is unfortunate for people with disabilities.

I agree that the trail map is confusing. It does not say how far it is from the trailhead to the dam, since Creek Bottom trail includes portions before and after the trail. I'm guessing a mile. You can always try it and turn back if it gets too hard.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Thank you Davros. That sounds "right" to me. When I drove from the Falls Lot to the dam it sure seemed like a lot more than 1/3 mile!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM

948 posts, read 1,387,538 times
The area is absolutely gorgeous. I grew up back back there on the Lake Gulch side. My mom was at the Winkler palce when the Dam broke. Hell of a story.
If you go down the Canyon Road to where it curves around the old dam bottom there's room to park and you may be able to get to the creek allot easier and just as good a walk. You do have to walk up the road some. Just before the old house at the bottom of the hill on the west side, across the road there's a cow path. You see the hay pasture fence line and you can walk on the park side of that. It will take you to the creek and from there your on your own where you want to go.
Just for kick if you drive towards Lake Gulch you see a drive way with 3 pillars. Across the road from that there's a old Grave from a Colonel that was killed. If you look up at the cliff to the NW you'll see his grave marker carved into the cliff .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado