Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:46 PM

22 posts, read 79,354 times

Advertisements

Well our road trip is over! I made it safely back to Pennsylvania from Colorado/Arizona. We spent 1 week in Colorado Springs, 2 nights in Ouray Colorado and 1 night in Arizona (Grand Canyon). By the numbers: We drove 5000 miles and averaged 48mpg in my Jetta TDI and spent about 300 dollars in diesel fuel. Colorado was, well awesome! We rod the Cog up Pikes Peak, of course it happen to be covered in clouds at the top. But it was hit or miss all week to have a clear day up there. We enjoyed the city of Manitou. We ate at the European Café (Polish Restaurant) several times; great place to eat and was a great surprise find for my Polish friend. We walked around the Garden of the Gods and Manitou Cliff Dwellings. Then Seven Falls in Colorado Springs. We attended a Colorado Rockies game. This was Agnieszka’s first ball game here in the states. They played the Cubs. The ball park was packed! And to my surprise a lot of Cub fans showed up. Great game, it was tied going into the bottom of the ninth. First batter and first pitch to Carlos Gonzalez in the 9th, smack! home run to win the game!! We also traveled to the Royal Gorge park and Buckskin Joe’s both were a great place to visit. We also ended up in Ouray Colorado, definitely worth the scenic trip from Colorado Springs. Stayed at the old
Western Hotel in town. Took the
San Juan Scenic Jeep Tour. It was chilly that day and we got stuck going up RedRockMountain and had to turn around. We were almost at the top but it was very muddy from the over night rain. After that they took us up to Crystal Lake, again Awesome! Then we left Colorado and headed to the Grand Canyon. Let me just say, neat road trip but holy crap nothing out there! We arrived at the Grand Canyon late afternoon. I guess the day before someone fell into the canyon 75 feet down or something. My 2 cents: yes its very easy to fall off the edge into the Canyon, but only if your stupid enough to get that close to the edge. I call it common sense or in this case lack of common sense. Moving on, we stayed one night on Indian reservation and decide not to go back to the Grand Cayon the next day due to Tornado warnings? and heavy down pours all day long. Oh yeah and those 2 or 3 escaped convicts. So we started our trip back to Pennsylvania by heading back to Colorado springs. From there we decided to take interstate 80 home instead of interstate 70 which we took early to get to Colorado. At the end of the day it was definitely worth the trip. Colorado has some much to see and offer. The landscape changes so much in different parts of the state. I really enjoyed the weather in Colorado and was reminded of it when we made out first stop in Nebraska on our way home, holy humidity batman!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:30 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheez73 View Post
Well our road trip is over! I made it safely back to Pennsylvania from Colorado/Arizona. We spent 1 week in Colorado Springs, 2 nights in Ouray Colorado and 1 night in Arizona (Grand Canyon). By the numbers: We drove 5000 miles and averaged 48mpg in my Jetta TDI and spent about 300 dollars in diesel fuel.

Gotta love those Jetta diesels. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

Quote:
Quote:
Then we left Colorado and headed to the Grand Canyon. Let me just say, neat road trip but holy crap nothing out there!

cool drive. next time, if you wanna know what nothing really is, drive west from Grand Junction on US 50 all the way to Elko Nevada. A whole LOT of nothing

Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM

When we were driving thru Arizona I kept thinking about that movie "no country for old men" or something?

Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
When we were driving thru Arizona I kept thinking about that movie "no country for old men" or something?
I think that movie was filmed in New Mexico.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 PM

529 posts, read 1,327,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I think that movie was filmed in New Mexico.
Actually lots of the movie was filmed in Santa Fe and some of the closer areas. Another part of filmed in Marfa, TX.

The sporting goods scene was shot in "Tina's Range Gear." Which is funny because all she carries is hunting stuff,
guns, bows and the like but no camping equipment.

Back to the OP. Since you are thinking of relocating, did you get a chance to check out the job situation?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,826,554 times
Quote:
Then we left Colorado and headed to the Grand Canyon. Let me just say, neat road trip but holy crap nothing out there! We arrived at the Grand Canyon late afternoon.

Colorado has some much to see and offer. The landscape changes so much in different parts of the state.
Thanks for your trip reports and comments. We do not live in Colorado, we live one state below (New Mexico, USA!). The Grand Canyon is fantastic, but there are so many sights to see in the great southwest, you almost have to move out here to really enjoy it.

Don't discount Arizona completely, I spent some time in the Southern part. It has its beauty, but well spread out. Some parts of Southern Utah are also spectacular. And of course, New Mexico has some interesting parts.

Glad you enjoyed the trip, wondering if you plan to come back out.

Rich

Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM

18,243 posts, read 25,899,930 times
Pancho NM is right. I've logged many a mile in New Mexico, lots of stuff to see there.

The four corners states offer a lot regarding natural beauty!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 PM

I didn't come across any jobs yet. I figured since I was in Colorado visiting I might come across something, but no luck. I'm glad I got a chance to visit and now I understand what its like to live in Colorado. I hope to find something near the mountains or in the mountains not eastern Colorado. My focus is in Cad Design. It's slim pickens for me right now.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 AM

529 posts, read 1,327,134 times
Well, it's like you said before, it's slim pickens everywhere. As I've posted before, Texas is not doing so bad.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado