Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 03:57 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,586 times

Advertisements

How long does it take you to get to the ski slopes if you live here? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
I think the rule of thumb is 2 hours to the Monarch Mountain ski area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,586 times
Is there many choices as there is in Denver or only 1 or two? Do you go through Denver go get to this place and is it as good as say Keystone? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:44 PM

227 posts, read 1,043,999 times
From COS it's roughly 2 hours to any skiing. 2 hours southwest gets you to Monarch, which Mike FBE talks about above. Keystone is also 2 hours (plus a few minutes more) but in a different direction, more north and west. Loveland Ski Area is 1 hr 45 mins, same direction which is north and west. My personal preference is Keystone for now. However, I have not yet tried Breck or Vail, which is on my list to do this coming season, which, I can't wait for it to start. Just got my Epic pass in the mail yesterday!!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,443 times
Breck, too, is about 2 hours via Hwy 24. Copper Mtn is maybe 2.5, as is Winter Park.

Monarch is much smaller than Keystone, but the crowds tend to be smaller, as there's no hotel/condo village sitting right at the bottom.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I can make it in 1.30-45 minutes if I leave earlly from Woodland Park to Breckenridge. So 2 hours from COS sounds right. Even though 24 and 9 are two lane highways, it's nothing compared to taking i70 from Denver. Traffic flows just fine and plenty of places to pass people driving the speed limit Just be careful on the plains area, the troopers and sherriff patrol it heavilly. If you have a good radar detector, you'll pick them up a mile ahead.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:24 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
It all depends on where you are going, when you are going (weekend vs weekday), and which way you go. There is the I-70 route to Breck/Keystone/Vail/Copper/A-Basin and the back route taking 24. During the week, the I-70 route can be pretty quick because it's all interstate, but on weekends, I always take the back route. The weekend traffic is usually backed up pretty bad on the east side of the Eisenhower Tunnel and even worse if it's snowing. Same thing on the west side of it coming home. If you are going to a place like Ski Cooper (GREAT place for the little guys and true beginners), that's about 2.5 hours away. Definitely day trip material. Both my daughters learned to ski there. I personally dislike Monarch. If I remember Winter Park was like 3 hours, but I've only been there once. It's been a few years so my memory of how long the trip was is a little fuzzy.

If you want to go for a weekend trip, Crested Butte (my personal favorite) is about 4.5 to 5 hours away...same for Wolf Creek Pass or Steamboat. Tip: if going to the Butte, stay in Gunnison. WAY cheaper and they have shuttles going from all the hotels. Takes about 20 minutes to get there from Gunnison. The shuttle run like every half hour in the mornings and late afternoon.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,015 times
Default Go to Breck

Take 24 to Breckenridge - it's about 100 miles even. If you have a sweet car and like to haul booty, about an hour and a half will get you there. I used to get 50 mpg coming back to the Springs.

I grew up in Albuquerque, which has closer slopes than the Springs by far.

Oh and do not take I-70 for skiing! There will always be an idiot who flipped his F-350 on the ice causing MAJOR backups!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs