Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM

109 posts, read 287,456 times

Advertisements

Something else to consider is resale value. If you're having concerns about the property, then so will buyers down the road. The last thing you want is to be stuck with a lemon that you can't sell later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM

54 posts, read 146,677 times
Hi LUVFOG. First let me say this... those are beautiful townhouses. I can see why you are diligently looking into the disclosure of the geological hazard area to move there. Covenants are good to keep the area values up, so not all covenant controlled areas are a bad thing. Maybe the 'controllers' are a little grumpy, but they have a job to do. My advice would be not to give up on the area just yet.

Most likely this area had to do an "over-dig" to be able to build upon it. There is another single family dwelling development close by where all homes must have an over-dig before foundation. Anyway, I would consider getting the parcel number and have your agent go down to the El Paso County GIS building on Vermijo. There they have land maps that may help to determine why this area is considered geological hazard. I would also call the real estate agent that first worked with the developer and builder. He's a very knowledgeable and great guy that would probably know what's going on. I'll send you a direct message with his name.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 16,319 times
Default Resolution, thanks to all

Very helpful comments from everyone. This is what I found: The area is a geological hazard area because it is on a hillside and city law, since late 1990s I believe, reguires that a hazard study be conducted before hillside development is approved. All homes in the area had soil evaluations and building plans designed by geological engineers. Anyone should read review these documents before buying near the mountains (west of I-25). I also hired a structural engineer to review all docs and physically inspect. And, I had a conference with president of the engineering company who desgined the foundations. Both the engineering company and the bldg inspectiors monitored and documented compliance thoughout the process. Colorado Springs has a very comprensive building ordinance. Most problems relating to ground issues happen to homes built in challenging areas before the ordinance was enacted. Bottom line, everything is fine. I'm very satisfied. Looking forward to becoming a resident. Again, thank you all.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM

10 posts, read 44,268 times
Default Mountain Shadows neighborhood??

So, we moved here a couple of weeks ago and are staying with my husband's aunt while we look for a rental house. We've looked at several in Briargate, and while we love the area, it's a little far from my husband's work (he's still willing to drive though). We found a house that we fell in love with in Mountain Shadows. It's close to his work and is an established neighborhood with lots of trees. The house has a ton of character. But I can't really find much info on the area. Is it safe? Are there a lot of young families? The school has good ratings (Chipeta) but it's D11 and everyone talks about D20 as being the best. My son is starting preschool this year and is on an IEP for his speech, so I'd really like a great school for him.

Overall, I'd just like to know the general "feel" for the area, if that makes any sense

Thanks everyone!!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
That area of D11 is very good, I would have no worries about it at all. It is a great neighborhood.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,127,017 times
Chipeta is a great school....rest assured! Some excellent staff and involved parents.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 PM

164 posts, read 792,585 times
My son went to the Kindercare by the Walgreens and it was excellent. I am not sure if it is in Mountain Shadows but it is close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs