Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:36 AM

68 posts, read 255,012 times

Advertisements

Are the property taxes higher in Briargate compared to Rockrimmon or the Powers corridor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Depends on what school district you're in. All of Briargate is in D-20, which is the most expensive in town. And part of Briargate is actually in the Powers corridor. I think all of Rockrimmon is in D-20 as well, but not sure.

It's easy enough to look at properties on the El Paso County assessor's site...you can see the taxes broken down there.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 AM

Oh, thanks, I will do that. I will be homeschooling so I don't want to pay extra for something I won't be using. But if it is not too much more taxes, it would be worth it to be in a family area with low crime.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM
kjd

5 posts, read 20,726 times
I bought a house in Briargate for 246k in February of this year. I think I pay about $1400/yr in property taxes. I think it's worth it even if you home school. It's a nice place to raise a family.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 AM

Wow, that is a lot better than Las Vegas. We payed 285k for a house and our taxes our 2500 a year. I've lived here 3 years now and I just can't seem to get used to it. I'm a very conservative christian and Las Vegas reallly makes me feel like this world is not my home, I'm just a passing through, like the old hymn says. I'm in a good area and people's homes get robbed anyway. There is nothing to do here for kids and people that don't like smoking,drinking,gambling, etc. Anyway, didn't mean to get on that. We have a chance to get out of here because they are building another Costco in COS starting May to be open in August and it looks likely that we can go because he is a manager. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needrain View Post
Oh, thanks, I will do that. I will be homeschooling so I don't want to pay extra for something I won't be using. But if it is not too much more taxes, it would be worth it to be in a family area with low crime.
I live in Briargate and while I do rent, I also pay taxes for the school district via my rent check...I don't use the schools - no kids - everyone pays their share no matter if they use the schools or not.

Briargate is pretty safe, close to shopping, quick to the interstate, lots of trails, etc...but property taxes alone based on "I'm not using it so I wanna minimize my damages in property taxes..." is not the way to go about it. Find the home you can afford to rent or buy in a location that suits you best.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Seems like a wonderful place to be. I love walking. Are the trails in the neighborhoods where you can walk with a 5 year old? Also, I was wondering what's the difference between the Powers area vs. Briargate? Does it have more crime because it is more south and closer to the airport? I'm talking about north Barnes and Powers. The houses are newer and less expensive, but the area is growing and not established like Briargate. I'd really like a one story like we have here in Vegas with no basement and some privacy in the backyard. Is that possible is COS? Just wondering what the purpose of the basement is? I know it adds more room? Is there anything else I'm missing. I've never lived anywhere where they had basements? Sorry, I was concerned they wouldn't have much light down there and the house would have uneven heating.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The Powers "corridor" runs for many miles, from HWY 83 on the far northern edges of town all the way to the south edges. Essentially a local version of I-25. Powers is slated to be upgraded to interstate highway standards in the future (when the sky pours money). Let's not hold our breath on that one.

Just south of Hwy 83, the Powers corridor goes through the eastern side of Briargate and is part of what COflower alluded to when she said "quick to the interstate" in her posting. It is a very nice area. In the index are a couple of postings with a photo tour and one with a discussion. It's in school district 20, one of the best around here, which gives you two benefits:
- If you want to or have to stop home-schooling, you're in a great district.
- You can *usually* resell a home in a good school district easier and for more money than one in a so-so district.

A rule of thumb for calculating taxes is to take the sale price and multiply it by 0.6% which means $3k tax on a $500k home.

There is more in the forum on taxes. You'd have to use the Search tool with a keyword like taxes to find the older threads.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
A rule of thumb for calculating taxes is to take the sale price and multiply it by 0.6% which means $3k tax on a $500k home.
I looked at houses in Wolf Ranch and Cordera (Briargate area) that were over $3000/yr in taxes for a ~$400K house. The D-20 school taxes alone were north of $2K on those houses.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Expect property taxes to go up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs