Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,636 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Colorado Springs in a few months and I just got a beautiful baby German Shepherd. I am having the biggest problem trying to find apartment buildings that don't have a breed restriction. does anyone know which ones would allow my puppy?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,378,408 times
No clue, usually they have a 30 lb restriction on dogs around here. Your best bet would be to lie. Seriously.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 AM

252 posts, read 926,254 times
Unfortunately I believe you are going to have a difficult time with any large breed. As much as I hate to say this, because I'm prior military and now work for the Army, so many families have come thru here with the military and damaged or destroyed owners properties, they just stopped allowing it. At least in neighborhoods you wouldn't actualy need the Shephard for protection. You'll probably even have to really hunt to find a house to rent that will allow a large dog. I wish you luck.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:06 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
No clue, usually they have a 30 lb restriction on dogs around here. Your best bet would be to lie. Seriously.
< snicker >

My insurance agent "told" me to lie on the application because I had a chow/shepard/lab mix. The chow and shepard part would have made my renter's insurance go up dramatically. So we put lab mix on the application.

I am not saying to the OP to lie but maybe you need to fudge that a bit.

That's odd you can't find a place that accepts dogs. We are a pretty friendly dog city but I will tell you from my own experience, Shepards are big barkers as I have two of them in the 'hood and the owners (they are two separate households and one is flippin' cop - the son of the cops dog lives next door and father shepard was a k-9 dog....grumble) but yeah, they are known for being barkers and my neighbors leave their dogs out at weird hours and it's non-stop barking. Yeah, I will never call on the cop's dog again, I had the city on my butt about my lawn...never again.

I have a labrador and while he barks, I bring him inside as I don't want to tick off my neighbors. I don't blame the breed so much as I blame the owner. it gives dog owners a bad rap and I have to move next year...

I wish you luck. In the meantime, please teach your dog to be a good "citizen".

Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 AM

I guess lying about your dog is ok as long as nothing happens. Chances are nothing will happen, but what do you do when Murphy's law happens. I think it's a little irresponsible to recommend lying. I'm assuming that the reason you want an apartment is because you can't afford to buy a house? Shephards don't usually do very well in apartments, especially when the puppy becomes an adult. If you can't afford a dog, that includes housing it, then what are you going to do if you're faced with a law suit for lying on an application which resulted in some sort of incident involving the dog? Be a responsible owner and if you can't give the dog a good home without fear of getting caught at something, do the right thing and find the dog a suitable home. I know that sounds harsh, but if you truly love the dog, then you should do what's best for him/her. You said it was a puppy and puppies adapt easily. Just my opinion.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:02 PM

110 posts, read 294,278 times
There are some really good websites that can track down which apartments will allow larger dogs. Just give it a Google and you'll have a plethora of options. I think the Humane Society is the biggest site.

My apartment has a 80 pound restriction (Woodland Hills) Some houses for rent don't have a restriction. I would try Rusinak Reality about a house. They seem to be the biggest guys with the most options. Then you can have a yard for about the same as you would an apartment, and no neighbors (well, neighbors on the other side of a thin wall) to worry about. Lots of room for puppy to run and play and become a well-adjusted non-barker!

Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,378,408 times
I never got the whole size restriction thing. A dog is a dog big or small.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:01 AM

83 posts, read 304,892 times
Another option, if erm, fibbing won't do it, is to offer the landlord an additional deposit because of the dog. I did that when renting a house (I have two German Shepherds ), and the landlord was quite happy with that.

That can be kind of tough right when you're moving (expenses and such) but I wasn't willing to get caught out if the landlord came by and saw my dogs. Owning bigger dogs is a bigger expense.

So that might be an option.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 AM

10 posts, read 44,006 times
rayne, the size of a dog matters greatly, I have had all kinds, small as 5 pds, one as large as 120 pds, pure bred and mutts. Small dogs under 20-30 usually, are more controllable as far as damage they do and messes they make. Not to mention thier bark is usually worse than thier bite. Big dogs well, the bite can be severe, and the damage is usually costly....just a FYI.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:55 PM

Dare I get into this conversation? Small dogs are the source of more bites, both minor and substantial ones than big dogs. Common sense tells you a bigger bite radius causes a more severe bite. However, the number of large dog bites, including severe ones is substantially less than from small dogs. It is just that the media does not get the spotlight story when reporting that a Pomeranian bit the **** out of a mail carrier’s ankle or a Cocker Spaniel tore a chunk out of someone's arm. Only the big dogs with abhorrent owners get the spotlight. Bottom line, it comes down to being a responsible pet owner, for all sizes, breeds, and species of pets. Don't blame the pet, blame the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs