Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:01 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,185,601 times

Advertisements

In late September, I'll be making a quick 1-way trip crom San Jose CA to COS with just a few delicate things like plants, paintings, etc. I don't want to rent an actual moving truck. I just want to rent a regular cargo van because it will be a little cheaper in gas and so that I can keep an I on my fragile stuff.

I inquired with Budget, Uhaul, Avis and Enterprise so far and none of them have standard cargo vans available for 1-way rental. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
How about renting a Dodge Grand Caravan with stow-and-go seating. All the seats fold flat into the floor so it becomes a cargo van. See if it would be roomy enough for your requirements.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,084,207 times
Have you looked into Hertz, Penske?
My mom moved from Denver to Georgia and had me buy her a small moving van with a tommy lift,......we drove it to Georgia for her and then, once there, she sold it. Cost her 2500 and she sold it for 4000. Just a suggestion on maybe finding a cheap van (as mentioned) then, selling it once you arrive!!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Have you looked into Hertz, Penske?
My mom moved from Denver to Georgia and had me buy her a small moving van with a tommy lift,......we drove it to Georgia for her and then, once there, she sold it. Cost her 2500 and she sold it for 4000. Just a suggestion on maybe finding a cheap van (as mentioned) then, selling it once you arrive!!
Thanks for the suggestion. Many companies (including those you mentioned) will rent a moving van (box-truck) or a mini-van but not a regular cargo van. I got a good rate from Budget on a 10' truck, so I'm going with that. Thanks all.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,084,207 times
Have a great time and, don't forget to "roll with the punches"!!
I really LOVE driving cross country!! No worries, enjoying the scenery, staying in a hotel (I love that, even the dives)...pull over whenever, no mailboxes full of bills along the way (it's the simple things, doesn't take much for me!!!!!).
I'd help you along if I could!!!!!!!!!
Hey, maybe Breckenridge will be doing their Octoberfest when you happen along?!!! I'll be there, always am (exept for last year when I decided to live on the beach in Florida,...stupid move)....
Why are Octoberfests ALWAYS in September anyway?????????
Anyone ever figure that one out??????

Old 09-02-2008, 06:39 PM

215 posts, read 771,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Many companies (including those you mentioned) will rent a moving van (box-truck) or a mini-van but not a regular cargo van. I got a good rate from Budget on a 10' truck, so I'm going with that. Thanks all.

For some reason I have found they will rent small trucks one-way, but every company says no when it comes to renting a cargo van one-way - EXACTLY what you discovered.

None of their operators can answer why this is so. Does anyone here have an answer?

Old 09-03-2008, 12:28 PM

After 2 more weeks of research, I've still found:
MiniVan Rental - yes, but only by Avis and Hertz
Box Truck Rental - yes, by Budget and Uhaul
Regular Truck Rental - not really available for pickups, but they all offer SUV-class trucks
Cargo Van Rental - No, no, no... nowhere that I've found anyways.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 AM

252 posts, read 926,254 times
I don't know if time is a factor, but have you considered cashing in your airline ticket and driving there and back with the vehicle you want?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Yes. Time, and gas, is a factor. Also, for local rentals they have a mileage cap so it would cost me an arm and a leg if I came back with 2400 miles on it. Thanks for the suggestion though. I rented a 10' box truck from Budget for around $600 with mileage included, which will suit my needs okay, although mileage won't be all that stellar.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 AM

252 posts, read 926,254 times
Is your wife traveling with you? I remember you saying you were from San Jose, CA but don't remember if you said she had already relocated here or not....... senility I guess. Well, anyway, have a safe trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs