Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering Colorado Springs for schools, cost of living, scenery, outdoor activities, children's parks, dirt bike riding trails, water skiing, major cities flight schedule

Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 PM

114 posts, read 513,160 times

Advertisements

After a long search and a lot of thoughts, we've decided on Colorado Springs for the schools, the cost of living, the scenery, outdoor activities, and seasons(among other things!). We have some other not as pressing ?'s though!

- What are the children's parks like? Can you use them almost year round? Are they well maintained(no missing/loose screws on play equipment)? Are there many different parks?

- Are there any dirt bike riding trails near by? Any dirt bike racing go on?

- Where do the locals water ski? Do you need a wet suit in the summer? (sorry if this sounds lame, but its a lot warmer here in CA!!!)

- Does the Colorado Springs airport offer flights to major cities? (I havent had any luck with their website!)

That's enough ?'s for starters!! Thank you to everyone that spends their time answering!

Oh...one more...... we are going to have PODS deliver two PODS from CA to CO. We have a classic car that we need to have trucked over there.... anyone recommend a co?? We will be flying over ourselves(selling other cars here)

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 PM

18,064 posts, read 27,523,270 times
Welcome to SoCol. The only question I can answer is the one about the airport. The airport in Colorado Springs rocks. I travel out of there 90% of the time. You may have to connect to DIA, PHX, SLC and not get an affordable direct flight to all places, but the airport is just the right size.

I came back from Ontario on the 22nd of December from Ohare and that was a miracle. If I'd have tried to fly into DIA, it would have been Planes Trains Automobiles for me.

This is a great place for classic cars. I bought a 63 300 on ebay, flew out to pick it up and drove it back. I like adventure. Hopefully, someone can recommend a shipping company for you. If the other cars are classics, you should try to keep them. I'd buy them myself, but I have a wife=) seriously though, I've seen some nice classics out in California. Don't plan on driving your car in the winter or early fall. They put this gravel on the roads out here and you will lose a windshield quick.

Water skiing? You are going to consider snow skiing, aren't you? You might have to come out here to Pueblo West for that. That's a good question though. Where do locals in Colorado Springs go water skiing. Hey, you gotta go rafting. Find someone who has their own raft and have them take you to Brown's Canyon. That's a blast!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:36 PM

26,242 posts, read 49,145,261 times
Q: What are the children's parks like? Can you use them almost year round? Are they well maintained(no missing/loose screws on play equipment)? Are there many different parks?
A: Very nice parks. Lots of them. Well maintained too. See: http://www.springsgov.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=41

Q: Are there any dirt bike riding trails near by? Any dirt bike racing go on?
A: I believe so, but will have to rely on others to add comments. I see lots of trucks with dirt bikes driving around, as well as those with ATV's and the usual 4x4 off road SUVs.

Q: Where do locals water ski? Do you need a wet suit in summer? (sorry if this sounds lame, but its a lot warmer here in CA!)
A: Not much that I know of. If no one else replies, look up boat dealers here and call them. I've seen water skiing at Chatfield State Park near Denver.

Q: Does the Colorado Springs airport offer flights to major cities? (I havent had any luck with their website!)
A: Yes, but it's limited and probably more expensive than Denver. Seems both Frontier and Southwest A/L use DIA. Use one of the travel website and put in some fictional itineraries and see what you get. I think most folks use DIA. We're on the north side (I-25, exit 151 or 153) and can get to DIA in 1 hour flat, if traffic is moving at posted speeds.

Q: We are going to have 2 PODS delivered from CA to CO. We have a classic car that we need to have trucked over.... anyone recommend a co?? We will be flying over ourselves(selling other cars here). Budget $1,000 for this.
A: Best advice is to google phrases like "classic car transportation" or "classic car transporters" and see what you get. Maybe your friends in the classic car hobby can recommend a firm....or maybe ask your realtor....

Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 PM

Thank you for the help! We figured that the car would cost us about a grand to have it moved- so thats ok. The other cars are not classics- just older and we want to purchase a lil newer when we get over there. I will look into the water skiing more-- yes will definately try snow skiing- snowboarding didnt go so well though!!!! Just imagine a lotta falling!! And me verrrrry sore for weeks! Not sure I would do water rafting- my Dad almost drowned on the Kern river doing that many years back- still have the story etched in my mind. I do enjoy hiking and my husband and son love their dirtbikes! We are open to trying just about anything though!

Thanks again!!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,951,810 times
We had a car moved from CA to FL when we moved there. The movers just drove it into the truck right behind our stuff. Very convenient.

Most movers move cars this way. Call and ask, but then look up reviews of the companies you call on the internet.

Just a tip... take LOTS of pictures of the car just before they load it. Take a photo of the dashboard too while you're sitting in the driver's seat. Have a newspaper with that day's date with you, photostamp the pictures, and take a picture of the moving truck right before, during and after your shots of your car. You can never be too careful.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,634 times
I'd like to get suggestions as well on reputable companies transporting vehicles to Colorado Springs. We will be moving to Colorado Springs at the end of this month. We wouldn't really mind driving but the number of snowstorms this year have us wanting to ship two vehicles and fly over to meet them in the Springs.

So far I have a few quotes and have checked out Epinions for ratings on various companies which might be a good place to start. However, the company which was one of the highest rated shippers on Epinions contacted me to tell me they do not service between Texas and Colorado at this time. They recommended another shipper to me and the quote I received from them was 3 times the amount of any of the other shippers so far.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Geesh- 3x the amount?? I better start looking then. Good advice about the pics- we definately will do that! I like the idea of it going in the moving truck..... but we are using PODS.... they are about a third of the price of a mover!

Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,924,818 times
You can water ski at Chatfield, yes. But there's also Cherry Creek (also in Denver) Pueblo Res., Blue Lake (which is near Gunnison) and if the water levels are back up after the drought, there's the res outside of La Junta but the name of it is not coming to me. I think you an also water ski at Dillon Lake but I think you need to call Dillon's Chamber of Commerce to verify that. I think you will want a wetsuit though. The water is cool but waterskiing in it? Brrrr. I am a certified SCUBA diver but dang, them waters are cold.

On the eastern plains there are a lot of dir biking courses but you need to contact some of the dirt biking orgs to verify. My ex fiance (long, long, long ago) used to go out there and up in the mountains with his bike.

C Springs does offer a lot of large city connections but DIA is better at that with fewer layovers. I can drive to DIA in 55 minutes (via e-470 and tolls) and the C Springs airport is about 25 minutes from where I live. I don't fly anymore but when I did, I preferred DIA as they offer more direct flights.

There are so many parks around the Springs area. Heck I can walk to two from my home. One is the Meadow Ridge area the other is the Norwood park which is known as Cottonwood. They have a full range of services at teh Cottonwood park including swimming, tennis courts, softball/baseball, lots of soccer, an inline skating park and a decent walking path along Cottonwood creek.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,634 times
Regarding vehicle transport, try typing the following into Google: transportreviews. I found a web site that provides ratings and reviews of over 300 vehicle transport companies posted by customers that looks like it might be a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs