Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM

33 posts, read 56,157 times

Advertisements

I usually ride from first chair, to about 1:30 and am out somewhere right before 2 from Loveland ski area to beat the I70 traffic, but on some days, I decide to ride from open to close.

Which is better?

I-70E traffic with pace car (dumbest idea ever) 4pm... OR
I-70W no traffic, through frisco/breck... and on the 24?.. to CO SPrings...

Without traffic google says the first is 1 hour and 36
the other way is 2 hours and 50, however.. I managed a 3 hour drive with a snowstorm going the 2nd route, so I'm sure I can probably do the 2nd one in 2:30.. or less... in ok weather

PS: Why are there so many accidents on the 70? Last week I saw a horrific accident, which involved a trailer, and 2 or 3 cars, which.. probably flipped over the i70median to oncoming traffic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
We almost travel exclusively US24-HWY 9 to Summit County. You have to go over Hoosier PAss, so make sure the weather cooperates, but it's a better drive, imo.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Roger on 24 to 9. Sucks it's one lane, but plenty of places to pass. Beware of cops though, so don't go too crazy, especially when nearing Fairplay. Takes me around 1.5-2hrs from Woodland Park to Breck'. Traveled it every weekended in the winter before I had kids 2 years ago!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Speaking of trailers on I-70, I was in Denver for a couple days. Coming back yesterday, a tractor trailer went off the highway a couple miles west of Eagle. I was ahead of it thankfully, but when I tuned into the 10 p.m. news on the Grand Junction NBC affiliate, they showed traffic being backed up for miles.

A little tip here, watch your speed, particularly from the Edwards exit to the Silverthorne exit. CSP is stepping it up regarding speeders.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM

I've noticed this disturbing trend in Colorado, or maybe it's me noticing more things here to compare with back home in NY.

Very often, I find myself cutting through traffic from the right lane. If the sped limit is 75, people on the left lane are doing... 75... lol. I've passed through miles of congestion.. maybe 2-3 exits on the 70 just staying on the right lane...

I think I will start traveling via this new route for the days I'm not carpooling with someone not from the springs, the drive is much nicer. and there is this neat little cafe shoppe? in fairplay.. forgot the name. They have something on the menu called.. something spiced hot chocolate? I forgot.

I got lost and ended up in Pueblo west..? today, it's actually very nice there. A reminder to not believe in stereotypes and rumors. I found the people incredibly friendly.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Main issue is 2 lane highways are not large enough for the growing population. I25 and I70 are bumper to bumper way too often.

I tailgate people who go the speed limit in the left lane, drives me insane. It does seem like it happens here than most places, but again, we only have two lanes for the most part, so it happens all the friqqin time!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Here's an amazing fact: the speed limit is the speed limit for both lanes of the road - not the right lane only. Really no one should be getting road rage over someone driving the speed limit. For ignoring the left-lane law, maybe, but not for obeying the speeding limit.

Colorado's "Left Lane Law" states:
"A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed-limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor-vehicles that are in a non-passing lane..."
However, the law does not give one permission to exceed the speed limit. Please note that this law is only for sections of highway where the speed limit is 65 or greater. For roads or sections with limits less than that, anyone who wants to can be in the left lane and it is as much their right to be there as anyone else.

Yes, practically speaking, one may feel compelled to temporarily get speed up to pass. But really it is a law violation, and you will be held accountable for it should an accident occur - no excuses. And so is it for those who drive perpetually in the left lane, whatever their speed. I think some people's questionable definition of "passing" means they're going to pass 50 cars and then get back in the right lane for 5 seconds, then repeat.

Another law people frequently ignore: Colorado has a Move Over law:
The Move Over Law requires drivers to move over a lane when there’s an emergency situation along the shoulder. If the driver can’t move over, they must slow down significantly to avoid an accident.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
My problem with 24/9 way is that it makes me want to move out of the city and into the country and start a buffalo ranch out there. Alas, I have no expertise in buffalo or ranching, so I'll keep that dream in my pocket :P

Noir, it sounds like you may have not turned off on the way back, towards Hartsel, but went down through Buena Vista? If so, great drive. Much longer, though :P

Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM

I'm going to have to look that up.

Regardless of the law, people in the left lane should switch over for a faster car. A disgruntled driver is dangerous.
Not sure how it usually is for a native person from Colorado. But people from other places, lare used to a 10-15+ the posted limit, especially on the left lane. And can get particularly aggressive. It's safer to just move and let them pass. Saw a pickup doing... probably over 100 today on the 70... crazy haha. Where is the black ice? LOL

Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX252 View Post
I'm going to have to look that up.

Regardless of the law, people in the left lane should switch over for a faster car. A disgruntled driver is dangerous.
Not sure how it usually is for a native person from Colorado. But people from other places, lare used to a 10-15+ the posted limit, especially on the left lane. And can get particularly aggressive. It's safer to just move and let them pass. Saw a pickup doing... probably over 100 today on the 70... crazy haha. Where is the black ice? LOL
Some cities...heck, some STATES...are notorious for seriously speeding traffic on interstates. California comes to mind. I've heard that Atlanta is like that, too. I think if there is an element where Colorado drivers commonly break the law, it's probably running red lights. I see that every day. I don't think that a safe, law-abiding driver should have to make way for some belligerent, angry individual who is impatient and willing to break the law to be first instead of next. Sure, it's common sense to observe traffic patterns and pass intelligently. But if you're the guy who is passing everyone pretty much all the way down the road, because everyone else is doing the speed limit and you think that your own special personal speed limit happens to be 10-15 MPH higher...well...all I can say is that the State Troopers will notice, sooner or later.

Now where I come from, Northern VA, the speed limit on the interstate is irrelevant, because traffic is usually so horrendous you'll be lucky if you can achieve the same progress as you could on foot...after my last taste of that gridlock, I have nothing to complain about here in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs