Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 02:24 AM

74 posts, read 201,131 times

Advertisements

So its time for my wife and I to start planning our first trip to COS. Though I lived in Evergreen, CO for several months as a child, I have never been to COS, and my wife has never been to CO at all.

We plan on making a vacation of it, and trying to get a general sense of what it might be like for us to live there.

Where do you suggest we stay? Which hotels? Is there a particular bed n breakfast or hotel you would suggest? Is the Broadmoor worth it, or should we just motel 6 it?lol

What restaraunts should be sure not to miss on our first visit?

We plan on driving around the D-20, 49, and 38 neighborhoods a good bit, and also visiting Manitou and Woodland Park.

Is it crazy for our first scouting trip there to be done in early December? We are Texans lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM

727 posts, read 1,372,744 times
My wife and I made several scouting trips to COS and a number of other cities throughout the West before choosing COS to retire. If you're like us, you'll be out and about working with real estate agents, or just driving around and checking out neighborhoods, schools, services, etc., as well as some touristy stuff. You won't be spending much time on the golf course, having afternoon tea, or lounging around the pool. The Broadmoor (aside from the cost) is a wonderful five-star resort, but it won't give you much of an insight as to whether or not you would actually want to live here. My advice is that if you're here on a pure vacation, and you can afford it, stay at the Broadmoor, and take advantage of everything that resort has to offer. If you're here to really check out the community, save your money, and check into any of a number of large chain hotels (or B&B). They're everywhere, they're reasonably inexpensive (certainly in comparison to the Broadmoor) and very convenient to everything in COS. Enjoy your trip.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:43 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,421,227 times
We just returned from our scouting trip to the Springs. We rented a small house in the downtown area through vrbo.com and it was much more pleasant than a hotel. We were able to save quite a bit of money too by cooking most of our meals at the house. Also a lot more room to spread our stuff out, look at maps etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,942,702 times
Homewood Suites on the corner of Explorer and Briargate. Every room is a suite with a kitchen. Free breakfast every day and free food on Mon thru Thurs nights. Easy access to I-25. The Shops at Briargate with several resturants across the street. Plus it's located in the heart of D20 and not far from D38. D49 is a bit of a drive, but is a straight shot up Briargate to Powers Blvd. I stayed there over 150 days in 2003 and ended up buying in Monument.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 AM

641 posts, read 2,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
We just returned from our scouting trip to the Springs. We rented a small house in the downtown area through vrbo.com and it was much more pleasant than a hotel. We were able to save quite a bit of money too by cooking most of our meals at the house. Also a lot more room to spread our stuff out, look at maps etc.
Since you've just returned, what did you think??

Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,421,227 times
Overall, much Springs is much larger than we realized. Traffic considerably calmer than where we are from (Austin TX). Fairly clean by comparison. Reasonably priced real estate. Wonderful weather. Friendly enough. Loved all the various parks. The only thing we can't get our heads around is how taken for granted the beautiful peaks are. It seems like some of the views should be protected, ex. totally bizarre to see a restaurant called My Big Fat Greek Restaurant in a shopping center with the gorgeous peaks looming over the sign.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 AM

641 posts, read 2,286,909 times
Tks for replying....since you were on a scouting trip, I was curious as to your overall impressions. Some love it here, while others just hate it.

Folks do take the views and natural beauty for granted at times. I'm not sure how one would protect a view of the peaks, since it depends so much on the vantage point of the viewer, but I do tend to think less development is often better than more.

Good luck in your search!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:01 AM

2,949 posts, read 8,411,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
Tks for replying....since you were on a scouting trip, I was curious as to your overall impressions. Some love it here, while others just hate it.

Folks do take the views and natural beauty for granted at times. I'm not sure how one would protect a view of the peaks, since it depends so much on the vantage point of the viewer, but I do tend to think less development is often better than more.

Good luck in your search!
I've found that most people who hate it are from the east coast who are used to grass and deciduous trees everywhere. Colorado has it's own beauty, and some people just can't or wont see it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-09-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs