Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

Calling all Jewelry Professionals!

At the moment I am just about to finish up an AA in Business Management. My next step is GG (Graduate Gemologist) degree from either GIA or ISG.

I am currently trying to decide between schools. The major factor being cost. GIA is around 15k+, but the name of the school is the best known.
ISG is not as well known, but costs around the 2k range, and offers a very reasonable equipment package.

I would be taking internet courses through either school. GIA's closest brick and mortar campus to me is in NYC. Moving there isnt an option.

Anyone have experience with either school? Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 03:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
First thing you need to find out is whether or not an internet class is even acceptable to the types of businesses you are looking at. At GIA we were given packets of diamonds to grade. How do they handle it with an internet class? You can't get the right kind of experience without the stones in front of you.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
First thing you need to find out is whether or not an internet class is even acceptable to the types of businesses you are looking at. At GIA we were given packets of diamonds to grade. How do they handle it with an internet class? You can't get the right kind of experience without the stones in front of you.
They send them to you for your lighter coursework...its similar to if you were at a campus. There are intervals Id have to go to NYC for a few weeks at a time to do alot of my more intensive lab work as well. If I kept my current job (non jewelry related) I could easily do this, but I'd like to switch jobs to something that would give me industry experience while Im in school...and one that pays me more than the crap I make now.

If I have to choose between experience and flexibility to get my degree though, the flexibility will win simply because of those classes ( I can get by on very little money).
I didnt know this at first, but the 15k+ tuition is for campus education. Tuition cost isnt terrible online actually($7800 total for tuition...the other things like travel, etc not included), its the equipment that's going to be a thorn in my side. I am, however, Secretary of our local Gem, Mineral and Fossil club, so I might be able to locate equipment that way.

Graduate Gemologist Program

Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 9,504 times
The GIA program is disappointing and over priced. They only give scholarships to insiders, those who have worked for companies giving money for scholarships, so there is an atmosphere of hope for financial assistance to highly qualified applicants, yet they simply are prejudiced and biased. As a highly educated professional in architecture and design and an art/auction advisor & art deco scholar, I needed a scholarship very badly to complete my work at GIA, since I am also in grad school, but was rejected unfairly after I was strongly encouraged to take the AJP and to apply for a scholarship. Now I cannot complete my studies in Graduate Diamonds and the LAB and this was a course I had promised for a project I have been assigned. I needed other funds for Graduate school, which I had hoped to supplement with working in estate jewelry at major art fairs during school breaks and on the special diamond project. Now I cannot get the project, and I will lose the work and money. Also, with an AJP it is hard to get a good job, its not enough, The GIA does not care and was dismissive of my application despite my good grades, all A's and hard work. I am really offended at their attitude and misleading information about the prospects and value of obtaining an AJP degree and their denial of my much needed scholarship money. I will complete my studies elsewhere as I am truly hurt and insulted by the GIA. They are dishonest with studnets and have no appreciaetion for honesty, scholarship, professionalism and hard work. Their only goal is to create a large poorly paid work force for the jewelry industry, not to foster continuing scholarly work, professionalism or research and publishing.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,149 times
Default Scholarships

GIA does not award scholarships to only insiders. I submitted my Personal Statement like everyone else and was awarded a full scholarship for the JDT program. I didn't know anyone "inside". At that time I didn't even know anyone in the jewelry industry.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,782 times
I have completed my diamond essentials, diamond grading, diamond lab (in Carlsbad), colored stone essentials and I'm getting ready to take my final in colored stones. In spite of me being halfway to my GG through GIA, I'm going to start over with ISG. My store owner and GIA GG, recommended ISG to as an alternative. For less of the cost of what it would take to finish my GG l'll have my RG AND appraiser, with watches and pearls included. I enjoyed my education at GIA, the lab was a great experience, but I already have 10yrs in the business, so I don't think the travel to Carlsbad to take 2 more labs are going to make up for what I do at work everyday. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities